PDA

View Full Version : Caney Today

BlueRaiderFan
11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Not a lot of activity until around 3:00pm Beautiful BWO hatch. Lots or rises to dries. Got one rise, but the knot broke. Lot's of wind though. I think I need to use a larger sized leader when it's so windy...hmmm.:cool:

spotlight
11-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Hey Blue Raider, I am going to the Caney this coming weekend will they hit the zebra midges there like they do on the Clinch? and if you don't mind sharing what drys were you using? Blue Winged Olives?

Maglite
11-09-2009, 10:10 AM
If the water is still up from the schedule and sluice gate operation, float the river and throw streamers into the cover. Your numbers won't be up, but the fish you do get will be measured in pounds. We only got 5 fish Saturday, but one of them was a 6lb. Brown. Their colors are beautiful right now. If you fish any shallow runs, watch it first and wait for them to rise in the film. Then throw soft hackles and you will get them on the swing. However if the water does drop out considerably, a midge will always produce. Hope this helps, and good luck

BlueRaiderFan
11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Blue Raider, I am going to the Caney this coming weekend will they hit the zebra midges there like they do on the Clinch? and if you don't mind sharing what drys were you using? Blue Winged Olives?

I tried a BWO no dropper and couldn't see it, so I switched to an Orange Neversink and got a good rise to it. I have to wade, so I recommend following the above advice if you can float. If not, I think tying on a midge dropper will get you a couple. I wanted to fish dries as long as I could and didn't tie on a dropper until the very end. I think I am going to try an olive z. midge dropper next time with a green neversink.

silvercreek
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
BlueRaider, I'd love to hit the Caney, but at 1800cfs, it looks like the water would have you backed right up against the bank. Fishing those small flies can be a challenge. Sometimes I hunker over to track the fly against the sheen of the water,or simply guess where it is from the end of the line. If anything comes up in that area where I think the fly is, I raise the rod tip. Often time if the fish has taken the fly you'll get the hookup. Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Silver,

Yeah, it was quite the wade out at Lancaster through the vegetation. Stepped into a couple of "deep" holes (I'm only 5'8"). Tried the listen technique, but didn't hear much. My boss says he does well with streamers wading, so I may switch. Thanks for the advice and info.

BRF

BlueRaiderFan
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Does anyone have a link to hourly sluicing rates?

silvercreek
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Blue raider, this has come up on another forum. To my knowledge they do not publish a predicted sluicing rate. I hope I am wrong on this. It's something we should lobby for. A couple of feet of water coming down the river unexpectedly could be a big problem. There is a safety issue the Corps/TVA needs to address. again I hope I am wrong and someone out there has a site for this.

JoelO
11-09-2009, 06:00 PM
BRF, can you describe the orange Neversink you're referring to...I don't think I've heard of one of those.

BTW, I don't think there's any posting of the sluice times. You might get an idea of how much they are planning to dump by looking at the discharge forecast. http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=RR2&node=KOHX

I also look at the scheduled flows that TVA shows for the Great Falls dam since it will directly affect how much they are going generate at Center Hill.

Thanks, Joel

BlueRaiderFan
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
BRF, can you describe the orange Neversink you're referring to...I don't think I've heard of one of those.

BTW, I don't think there's any posting of the sluice times. You might get an idea of how much they are planning to dump by looking at the discharge forecast. http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=RR2&node=KOHX

I also look at the scheduled flows that TVA shows for the Great Falls dam since it will directly affect how much they are going generate at Center Hill.

Thanks, Joel

Like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/files/master/catagories/flies/f0376detail.jpg&imgrefurl=http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php%3Fcat%3D0%26page%3D1%26productid%3D177 92&usg=__AdZ-Fsj-14Xa_XSgU7SfvjqlS-M=&h=350&w=455&sz=34&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=YLj4nDIYK16AYM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dneversink%2Bcaddis%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX %26um%3D1

only orange. I think it's basically a "Doc's Cork" Thanks for the info. I will fish anyway, but it would be nice to know how deep I'l be in it! :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
11-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks, Joel

Joel,

How does a guy read the dang thing? :eek: Thanks:smile:

silvercreek
11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
BlueRaider, If I understand the NOAA site correctly it simply gives you an average for the day. But, that could be an average of generation and sluicing. For example, if you look at Percy Preist on NOAA and it shows 3 and then look at the TVA water release schedule, you will see they are letting a constant 3000cfs over Priest. Thus, the 3 average on the NOAA site. As for the precipitation amounts, you need a secret decoder ring to figure out what locations those letters stand for. Silvercreek

JoelO
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Here is what I think the report is telling us:

.B MEM 1109 C DH06/DC1109/DRD+1/QTIF/DRD+2/QTIF/DRD+3/QTIF
.B1 DRD+4/QTIF/DRD+5/QTIF
:5-DAY DISCHARGE FORECASTS
WLCK2 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0:WOLF CREEK DAM
DAHT1 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6: DALE HOLLOW
CEHT1 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5:CENTER HILL

The date after MEM is the starting point...in this case Nov 9 (1109). The 5 day forecast would be for 11/10 through 11/14. The numbers for each day indicate the average cfs (in thousands) flowing through the dam. In this case, it looks like Center Hill will be flowing (on average) at 2500 cfs (as depicted by 2.5 on the report). Looks like the sluice will be on 24/7 with 1 generator kicked on for about 4 hours each day. The sluice is equivalent to 1.8 and 1 generator is equivalent to 3.8 on the report....after that its just a math exercise.

silvercreek
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Called around the Corps today to see if there was a site that gave hour by hour predicted sluicing in addition to generation. The answer was no. A lady at the Corps said that Center Hill would be sluicing 1 gate (1600-1800cfs) until December. The Corp site under fishing info for Center Hill also says they will be sluicing one gate until further notice. Buy a boat is you are going to fish the Caney anytime soon.

BlueRaiderFan
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I may have to just keep wading in the deeper water. The sluicing wasn't so bad that I was in danger. It did stink having to wade out in waste deep water. Maybe I can find an old inner tube:eek:

silvercreek
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
BlueRaider, Be careful out there. A couple years ago a guy drowned at Happy Hollow when he stepped off into a hole. You may want to seriously consider a life jacket. Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah, if I can't see the bottom, I don't take a step. I had to wait in a couple of spots for several minutes for sediment to clear.

Worrgamesguy
11-12-2009, 12:20 AM
BRF, if you need a fishing buddy, give me a holler. I need my fish for November and would prefer to get a trout this time. It's always good to have a partner when wading conditions are sketchy.

In other news, I made the MTSU paintball team on Sunday! :cool:

BlueRaiderFan
11-12-2009, 02:08 AM
BigPopper (Mark) and I are going a week from Saturday, you're welcome to come. Post and remind me though. I'm a forgetful old codger.:smile: Congrats on making the team!