PDA

View Full Version : Gear: What do you take?

jross
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
One time I met a nice couple in a parking area at Greenbrier. They were very cordial, but I was amazed at many dangly things they had hanging off their clothes! They had gadgets and doo-hickeys of every kind (and most of them said Orvis:smile:). And here I am with my Bass Pro waders and one little ole pack of a couple dozen flies! So it got me wondering...

What kind of gear and equipment do most of ya'll take with you when you go out?

For me: a pack, a few essential flies, floatant, indicators, spare line and of course my swiss army knife....

Crockett
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Well it depends if I am fishing near the road from my car then just the basics like flies, floatant, nippers, forceps, extra tippet, leaders, my camera, and a snack.

If I am going up Meigs Post Prong or somewhere remote I also take a daypack with flashlight, water, food, lighter, first aid kit, and a little emergency bivy sack thing I got in case I ever have to sleep out unexpectedly.

Rog 1
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
At the end of the day I always think why do I have all this stuff but....Knife, flies, floatant, tippet, forcepts, nipper, snack/energy bars, small poncho,band-aids, water tablets, cigarette lighter and benadryl

Streamhound
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Like Crockett siad it depends on how far from the car I am but
swiss army knife, too many flies, floatant, tippet, forcepts, nipper, snack/energy bars, water, sun glasses and reading glasses (trying to use the bifocal sun readers but not having a lot of luck) weather proof matches, extra car key and all of this fits in the vest.

lauxier
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the more you fish the less "stuff" you carry,the least the better as far as i am concerned,what some of posts said about how far your going to fish from the truck is true.I've noticed that folks just starting to flyfish drown themselves with gear,I did it,I think most people do,its as all part of the transformatiion from a regular,working,nice,guy to a eco-neurotic affliction, syndrome known as TB (Trout Bummerosis). In conclusion ,if as you drive through the park on your way to fish ,you see some folks walking by the road,next to little river,and they are decked out in new vests,new waders,high teck wading boots,with clippers,hook sharpeners,flaslights,first aid kits,pocket knives,bear spray,insect repellant,more first aid kits,an extra change of clothes,extra socks,casada's book on fishing smnp,a weather radio,boxes with about 500 new flys inside,floaters and sinkers,fly dressings of every description,15 sizes of tippit,leaders and more leaders all in side a new vest that doubles as a back pack,and looks highly technical---then you can rest assured that in a few years,they will have lightened up,and like everybody else,they will pack most of that stuff away in a drawer,and write it off as the price you pay for TB.

Rog 1
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Some of my best days on the water have been spur of the moment outtings when all I carried was a single spool of tippet, floatant and a few extra flies.

BlueRaiderFan
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
If I'm near my truck, I take my vest, waders, boots and rig and my knife. If I go more than a half mile from where I park, I take a day pack with lunch, an emergency blanket, and my knife.

WVBrookie
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I very rarely fish next to the vehicle, I enjoy hiking in almost as much as fishing.

When I go in I usually have a few things in my Fishpond Double-haul: full hydration bladder, Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter, rain jacket (if it's forecasted), snack/lunch, and the usual fly fishing gear (flies, nippers, tippet, forceps).

A couple of non-essentials I always carry with me: DSLR (& waterproof bag), underwater digital video camera, and GPS....and yes, everyone makes fun of me for all of the camera gear.

Chris

Streamhound
11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I just saw lauxier's comment of 500 new flies. I thought my 40-45 mostly used classified as too many, I guess I sit corrected. I am not a great believer that you have to make do with as few as possible, I'm just cheap :biggrin:

Rebelsoul
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
As a habit whenever I get out in the woods I always take water,firemaking kit,small first aid kit,map,knife,compass,and some type of snacks.
Then it depends on how far I'm going on what else goes in the pack...along with the basic fishing supplies.
Somebody mentioned extra car keys,I always put my keys somewhere else other than in my pants pocket,in something that packs away in the pack.
I have found several sets of rusty car keys in the woods while relic hunting with a metal detector over the years,and wondered about the poor guy who lost them.

jross
11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
oh yeah, the keys! If i got waders on I put 'em in my pants under the waders. I figure these waders ain't coming down except at potty time, and I won't do that over or in the water:biggrin:!!!

anyway, I only carry a few flies and seen some of these boxes packed with flies...I think, "do you really need that many flies?" I forgot sunglasses and drinks but I don't like carrying a walking stick...

I guess it's true for so many pursuits.....simplicity.

flyred06
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I carry probably more flies than I could ever possibly use. And every time I come up I stop by LRO and buy a dozen more of flies I don't have adding yet another box. Other than that I carry leaders, tippet, nips, forceps and other tools, bottled water and a pack of crackers. I carry a spare reel and rod along with a rain jacket. Sometimes I have a wading staff sometimes I don't. My partner carries a net but I never do. A hat and a camera. Indicators and floatant and that about covers it. I do always carry a good pocket knife, but thats on me no matter where I go. But most important I carry my fishing licenses'. Hope this helps.

jeffnles1
11-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Pretty much what everyone else carries.
Nippers, hemostats, extra spools of tippet, a box or 2 of flies, wading staff if I'm going to be wading, hat, camera, snaks, knife, lighter, small AAA flashlight, keys, fishing license, drivers license, cell phone. I guess I do go with a lot of stuff. The only things dangling off my vest though are my hemos, my nippers and my little flashlight. When I'm not in the park and going to be out by myself, especially if it will be dark when I get back to the car, I carry a revolver (yes I have a permit). Also, if I'm going to be more than a mile or so away from the car, I carry water, enough snaks to hold me for a day or so if I get hopelessly lost in the woods and an emergency rain poncho.

Jeff

Carolina Boy
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Gotta go with lauxier on this one, Les is Best, I get fed up with all the junk I carry and I don't carry nuthin, a spool of tippet, steam level appropriate, small thing of split shot, nippers, hemos, fly box 1 which has a mix from my boxes in the truck that I know will cover me, fishing license, If an only If I am chasing big browns a net...sometimes, I wear a small waist pack to carry it, oh floatant and an extra leader, thats it, I have thought about a lanyern but I can see that getting in the way as I climb etc.

flyred06
11-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Carloina boy I have used a waist pack also and the lanyard. My personal opinion is that the lanyard is aggravating. It hangs up, clanks and is just irritating. I am going to a chest pack the next time I buy but right now I use just a trusty Reddington vest.

PeteCz
11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I try to be a minimalists-minimalist...

I don't wear a vest. Instead, I clip my nippers, forceps, and floatant/Frogs Fanny to my belt and put one spool of 5x and a small box of flies in my pockets. I can get away with one spool of tippet because I use a furled leader. And I only have one small box of flies because I rarely (never) use nymphs or streamers. I have two patterns that I use in a few sizes and colors and leave it at that...

When I go more than 2 miles into the backcountry I do try to be a bit better prepared with a packable rain-jacket, water purifier and trail mix in a small backpack.

I agree with lauxier as well, I spent way too much money and thought on trinkets and flies the first 12 years I fished and have spent the last few years trying to pare down to the essentials...and polarized sunglasses...

Carolina Boy
11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
My only issue with the chest pack is that i am not the tallest fellow out there and i have had issue with kicking rocks triping and so on so I just move my pack around my waist and then in front when i need something, it's OK but i am not really into the thing hanging around my neck seems it would be cumbersome

buzzmcmanus
11-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Every now and then, I catch myself packing too much stuff, like a fly box. But lately, I've stuck with just a lanyard that has, floatant, froggs fanny, 2 nippers (I must have found 1 of them somewhere), hemostats, 6 spools of tippet (4 of which are mostly empty 5X), and a fly patch.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/Lanyard.jpg

The best thing I ever did was trash my vest. Nothing but a useless junk container.

jross
11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
buzz,those are nifty frogsfanny holders, can I find those easy?

When I first started I had a little less than I got now. But when I "got serious" about it I bought a vest on ebay. I packed that thing full of stuff. It alone weighed a great deal, but with the stuff in it; goodness it was heavy! And hot! It's at home in a tote. I even got a sweet little chest/back pack and it stays off sometimes as well!

Funny thing is, I carry almost the same gear as everyone else. I don't ever have time to get far off the trail, so the safety/survival gear is left out.

buzzmcmanus
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
buzz,those are nifty frogsfanny holders, can I find those easy?

jross, here's a link to both of them.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...ction=0&page=2