PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong Little River

Parzival
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Had some time off today and thought I would head over to the park and see what's going on. This was also my first time fishing the park.

I fished above tremont for 3 hours and got nothing. I was using nymphs weighted down but couldn't produce so much as a single strike. It was a little disheartning as there were so many deep pools I hit that I was sure I would at the very least get a strike. It just wasn't meant to be today, I guess.

Any advice for me?

buzzmcmanus
11-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Parzival, My first recomendation is not to fish Tremont. I hate that place. I was up there today also. Actually put on my waders like I was going to fish, then went elsewhere. I had decent luck (4 fish from 3:00-4:30 this afternoon) fishing either an olive or tan EHC on the west prong. Were you in a black Toyota? If so, I almost stopped to chat, but figured I'd already wasted enough time driving up Tremont Road and needed to catch some fish.

Seriously, some people love fishing above Tremont, but I've never done any good there. I don't even give it a chance anymore.

Parzival
11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
No, im in a gray ford f150. Anyway, I guess I can just use this as a learning experience.

nvr2L8
11-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Parzival, Right now they're hitting dries awfully well. Give it a shot.

buzzmcmanus
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Parzival, When I first started fishing the park, I found that I had much better luck fishing the smaller streams. I could read the water better, get a better drift, and the fish were more eager to feed. After fishing the smaller streams, I moved up to streams like the middle prong then east prong. I now find myself fishing the smaller streams again.

Mundele
11-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I was in the black Toyota. I didn't catch any either. It was gorgeous up there though.

I think the water was too high. I don't really like fishing the middle prong all that much where it's "bigger" I do like it up where its a bit smaller (like up Thunderhead Prong). Even up there though the flow was pretty heavy and I forgot my split shot.

--Matt

pineman19
11-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree with Buzz on starting with the smaller streams and working your way up. Even the larger plunge pool, boulder streams like the Greenbriar and WPLP are easier to catch fish in than the road portion of the Little River or lower Tremont. Thunderhead is a nice stream. When I first started fishing it around seven years ago I didn't see many people up there, but with the opening of Sam's Creek it seems to be getting more pressure down low.

Neal

nocona
12-19-2009, 10:12 PM
1st and 2nd largest brown trout to come out of the smokies came out of tremont.

David Knapp
12-19-2009, 11:02 PM
There are no fish at Tremont...:rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
12-20-2009, 12:12 AM
I caught my first Smoky's bow (and trout for that matter...on a fly rod) up at Treemont. Wasn't very big, but I'll never forget it.

Bran
12-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I fished up there some this summer and did ok.

rivergal
12-20-2009, 09:06 AM
A couple of years ago I was taking photos at Tremont, and looked down in the water and saw 3 bright orange goldfish swimming. Someone had dumped them in the water which I believe is against the park rules.

Bran
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
The Trout needed pets!! That's funny though, I'll bet they didn't last too long.