PDA

View Full Version : Elk River Report 11/19

wm1miller
11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I fished the Elk today from 11:00 a.m. til sundown.
It fished well all day, but during the last hour and one half they went wild.
Caught fish on wooly buggers, olive and chartruse, soft hackles and midges.
During late afternoon, I had great sucess on my favorite Elk tandem setup - a chartruse wooly bugger with a soft hackle trailing. They hit both flies like crazy.
They mostly hit the bugger while stripping and the soft hackle on the swing.
It was a great day on the river. (Not many fishers.)
William

flyred06
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Got any pics? What size fish were you hooking up on. I have never got to fish the elk but definately look forward to it one day.

monktrout
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
William, Ithink I talked to you on the Elk today. I had a green hat and was fishing the riffle. I switched to chartreuse,as you suggested, and they lit up. Hope to see you again.
Monk

silvercreek
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM
You switched to a chartreuse hat and they started hitting? Hmmm.

wm1miller
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Monk,
Glad to hear that you did well.
After I talked to you, I ate a sandwich and went down to Farris Creek where they also liked that chartruse.

Flyred06,
No, I don't do pictures.
All of my fish were under 11".
One brown trout and a "lot" of rainbows.
Come'on up. You need to fish it sometime.
Half of the cars at the dam had Sweet Home AL license plates.
We welcome everyone.

William

wm1miller
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Elk Report 11/23/09

Totally different story today.
I fished most of the 5-hour "non generating window" today and found it very difficult to get any fish interested in any of my flies.
I tried several sizes and colors of: wooly buggers, soft hackles, scuds, nymphs, and midges.
The only thing that I had any sucess with was a #20 midge.
Others that I talked with had very little luck also.
Still, a nice overcast day on the river.
William

silvercreek
11-24-2009, 09:09 AM
William, I fished the Caney yesterday morning at Happy. Got on the river a little after 8am. Very few rises. I thought they were on midges, but I finally scooped one of them off thewater. It was some little fly I have never seen before. Looked like a #24 house fly in shape with two wings that folded back just like a house fly. It was a greyish black bug. It looked like a bead on the water as it hatched and floated quite a way before gettting airborne. I had nothing to match it. Finally caught a 14 inch brown on a midge and missed two other hits. By 10:30 almost nothing was rising. I was the only one there until around 11am. I left shortly after.

wm1miller
11-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Silvercreek, thanks for the report.

I had planned to fish the Caney yesterday, but liked the generation schedule better on the Elk; allowed me to fish later in the afternoon.
I hope to get to the Caney very soon.
I will tie some light and dark colored #24's before I go. I hope that fly pattern doesn't matter. When they are that small, I can't tell the difference.

How do you fish those small flies?

Regards,

William

silvercreek
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I fish surface or emergers in the film. I have to regretfully admit that the brown took the fly after I gave it a hard strip to get it under water so it would not leave a wake as I went to take the line off the water. These flies are some order of Diptera. Most diptera have a gas bubble and ascend rapidly to the surface. That argues for some sparkly material in the mix. I like antron. For surface flies, a griffiths gnat may work, although I have never had much luck with that fly. Strange how fishing seemed to be poor all over that day. I figured with cloud cover the midges would be coming off and maybe even some BWOs. I got that wrong! Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I've been skunked on the Caney twice (always in the winter) and have never not had a good day. Beats the **** out of sitting at home.;)

wm1miller
11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
BlueRaiderFan, You are absolutely correct: No bad days on the river.

Since you mentioned getting skunked, I have a fear, especially this time of year, of getting skunked. Not that there is anything wrong with getting skunked, but it has been so long since I was skunked that I want to see how long I can keep the streak going. I do not count my fish, but, I am relieved when I catch that first one; then I quit counting. I guess this is kind of crazy.

Question! Have you fished Betty's lately? Last time down there I missed a couple of big browns on streamers and have been wanting to get back there. I have been wondering how the river is that far down. Most reports I read are closer to the dam.

Regards,
William

fishingman62
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
william i fish the caney regularly when its not under generation ...bettys island has been slow fishing all this year as well as kirby which is down river from bettys.....if i was you and was wadeing i would fish happy hollow or at the dam below the steps....down riverfrom the steps is all wadeable for almost a mile to just before lancaster.....do not be afraid to fish the shallow water next to shore,,,,,,,, i will be fishing the caney wed thur sat and sun weather and generation permitting if you are planning on heading there any of those days send me an email and let me know
dan

silvercreek
11-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Fishingman, gives a report of your trips. From the rivergages site, it looks like the temps down to Stonewall are dropping. I would think the fishing would be picking up down there. Look forward to what you have to say, particulary about any surface activity. Good luck, Silvercreek

fishingman62
11-24-2009, 09:18 PM
silvercreek i very very rarley fish drys on the caney the hatches are so small i would quess you would need a #28 to match the little white or the little black bugs that come off...i have caught a few larger browns using a tan caddis or parchute adams as an indicator with a midge or pheaseant tail dropped below it.... we usally fish soft hackles in a size 16 or smaller ...... stripping it back as you would a streamer ....last year olive buggers were deadly but this year the fish just wern't on them.... i wii post how we do wed ... but my buddies floated this past sat and sun with only 4 fish being caught in 2 days ...they threw everything from midges to streamers at them ... hopefully the fish will be better adjusted to the lower flow and will turn on for us... i firmly belive that when generations are high for long periods of time then dropped back the fish need time to readjust their feeding patterns ...
dan

BlueRaiderFan
11-25-2009, 12:06 AM
BlueRaiderFan, You are absolutely correct: No bad days on the river.

Since you mentioned getting skunked, I have a fear, especially this time of year, of getting skunked. Not that there is anything wrong with getting skunked, but it has been so long since I was skunked that I want to see how long I can keep the streak going. I do not count my fish, but, I am relieved when I catch that first one; then I quit counting. I guess this is kind of crazy.

Question! Have you fished Betty's lately? Last time down there I missed a couple of big browns on streamers and have been wanting to get back there. I have been wondering how the river is that far down. Most reports I read are closer to the dam.

Regards,
William

William,

I have fished Betty's a few weeks ago and there was very little activity. There are some active large browns by the island, but you had better cast from far away and sneak up on them when you first get there and I mean from the road. I saw a LOT more activity down at Lancaster. I got a very bad report the other day up by the dam. I think all the generation has pushed them a bit farther down the road to Lancaster (but not as far as Bettys), but don't have enough evidence to say for certain. My boss says he does well on olive or chartruese buggers this time of year. I still can manage a strike on an orange neversink, but dries are very rarely risen to right now. Let me know how you do.

Dwayne

BlueRaiderFan
11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Just looked back over the posts. I heard the same thing the other day from a friend: Nothing biting for anyone.

silvercreek
11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Fishingman, I just figure if the trout are feeding on the surface, then I ought to be able to catch them there. I can do ok with the emerging midge pattern I have, but I sure did not have anything to match that little fly I saw Monday. Hopefully I've got that covered with a new fly. Try a peacock and black bugger. Just spread some head cement on the hook shank and let it get tacky before you wind the peacock herl up the shank. It always has been the best bugger patttern for me in the past. Peacock herl for the body of a wet fly works well too. Something about peacock the fish love. Good fishing Silvercreek