PDA

View Full Version : winston v/s sage

flyred06
11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Just for fun lets post which of the two rods we like most. I will keep up with them and 1month from now (or till people quit posting) I will post which rod company is desired the most. It is just for fun and to see which rod has the biggest following.

MY vote.

Winston

James Buice
11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Wildcard vote:

SCOTT RODS

;-)

flyred06
11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I will throw that vote in also. I was just seeing alot of sage and winston people on this board and thought hey lets see the numbers. Was not trying to leave any one out cause there are so many great companies out there right now.

Stonefly
11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a Sage, nice but honestly not completely crazy about it. I tried a Winston Biix (think that was the model) and was blown away.

Have a number of Scotts and love them.

steve

tire guy
11-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Sage Z axis and I am very pleased with it. It far exceeds my abilities, but that isn't saying much. I also have a Winston but it was an older model that was slow and did not do well in the wind.

flyred06
11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Stonefly what model sage do you have if you do not mind me asking.

DarrinG
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of the older Sage RPL series of rods. The RPL's are what put Sage on the map. Sweet sticks. I've yet to cast another Sage rod that has the same feel of a RPL that also looks as good and with top-shelf components.

Stonefly
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Flyred -

Mine's a 3-piece VPS 7'9" 3-weight. Nice rod, and maybe I just haven't used it in right situation yet.

steve

flyred06
11-22-2009, 11:05 PM
I have never got the opportunity to cast the VPS line of sage. I have some shorter smaller rods such as that rod and I do not tend to like them. So it might be that you just have not got to put it to the right application yet. I have a 8' 4wt orvis troutbum that I am not crazy about. Great rod I just am not happy with it yet. But it will have its time and place.

jeffnles1
11-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I have a Winston BIIt (9 foot 4 weight) an am very pleased with it. I can't think of a thing I would change.

I also have 2 Scott G2 rods (a 5 wt and a 3 wt).

Both series are great rods for my casting style or lack thereof.

The Winston is prettier but they all fish good. I have a slight preference for the Winston though.

Jeff

donwinn
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I am a Winston fan. I have three Winston rods (BIIX, BIIMX, and IBIS) and love them all.

beeber
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Put me down for the Sage RPL as well. Nothing feels better in my hand.

waterwolf
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Sage.

Winstons are fine, and have a real classy look to them, but their performace IMO is not comparable to Sage. Better for showing off at a cocktail party rather then sinking steel into flesh.

gmreeves
12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
It is a tough vote between the Winston IM6's and the Sage LL's.

waterwolf
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
It is a tough vote between the Winston IM6's and the Sage LL's.
For a while the IM6 blanks were made by GLOOMIS and winston built them in their factory. Sage LL's are hard to beat, but with new advancements pale in comparison to the ZAXIS IMO.

flyred06
12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
For a while the IM6 blanks were made by GLOOMIS and winston built them in their factory. Sage LL's are hard to beat, but with new advancements pale in comparison to the ZAXIS IMO.

I did not know that waterwolf. I have seen now on the internet where Gary loomis has went with TFO. As far as the new advancements they say that the Sage ZXL is the next best rod to the older LL line that Sage had out. I would love to have a Z axis but can not find it in the budget right now, of course I would like a Winston BIIx also.

fourx
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Sage.

Winstons are fine, and have a real classy look to them, but their performace IMO is not comparable to Sage. Better for showing off at a cocktail party rather then sinking steel into flesh.

Oh my Lord!
I was browsing through some of these older posts when I found this!
Cocktail party?!
My green sticks have been to **** and back and yes, I've drank around them but cocktail party!
What the heck does a turkey hunter know! You don't even fish anymore!

Your Pal,
4X

tnh2owader
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm a Sage fan ! Own 2 Z AXIS rods and and old XP model. I love the fast action stuff. But I do have several break offs when setting the hooks due to these "broom handles" as some call'em. And I'm an old bass fisherman that's still hasn't learned not to set the hook so hard.
I've never fished the Winston but cast a few before choosing the SAGE's, choose the Sage because I felt they were a little faster action.
But I don't think you could go wrong with either.
But I am and will remain a SAGE MAN !!!!;)

Sage
04-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Have Winston 5wt 9ft BIIX, feels like a noodle. Double haul is a must 4 me with it.

Love Sage 5wt 9ft DS2, workhorse of a rod.

Abuse TFO Pro 4wt 7ft in the park:sweet stick.

Verdict : SAGE (suprised) :cool:

flyred06
04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I have a good friend who has two of those DS2 rods and they are very nice. Since starting this thread I have 2 new sage rods a 8wt lauinch and a 5wt zaxis. My winstons have taken a back seat to them. And I thought I would never find any rod to replace my winstons but I have.

Troutman
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I have only owned 1 Sage rod. A 690 XP. Broke it twice and had repaired. probably won't buy another Sage. Wish I could sell it. Never owned a Winston either but they sure are pretty.
My favorite graphite rods are G-loomis. You don't read much about them on here, but I won't buy any other graphite sticks anymore. any one else a Fan of Loomis sticks?

gmreeves
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
The Loomis GLX 8wt was the finest casting 8wt when I was still in the rod purchasing days but I never bought one. I like Loomis rods a lot but have never owned one.

I guess the burning question about this old thread is, which one did you get Flyred?

buckeyetrouter
04-27-2010, 08:41 PM
just picked up a Sage SLT 8' 4wt. Haven't cast it yet but I'm told I will love it. Just got rid of a Scott S3, not a bad rod but wow it was fast.......

GMReeves......I have a Loomis and I do really love it.....got it dirt cheap from Bass Pro

bob

Stonefly
04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I have an old 9' 5# IMX from about 1986 or so, of which Davy Wotton said, "slow slow rod." I still like it though.

Also a recent 7'6" 4# Xperience, that I love for the park. Like it better than my Sage VPS 3#

Big fan of Loomis.

sb

buckeyetrouter
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
hey Troutman.....tell me more about that Sage you want to get rid of.....