PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Generation

TroutVol
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Anyone know when Norris dam will quit generating all the time? Its been months sense I have been able to get out there!

ChemEAngler
11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
No idea, but it is killing my fishing time this fall.

silvercreek
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Troutvol, I can't say for sure, but if you will go to the TVA site and click on the section above the generation schedule, you will get a graph of planned vs current levels. You will see that it looks like the lake has about 5 feet more water than they want for this time. Probably will take quite a while unless they decide to operate at the upper range of their desired level.

Grannyknot
11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I am hearing a lot of "dilution is the solution", but maybe it's more about the fall draw down taking longer than anticipated?

fourx
11-26-2009, 11:35 AM
My deepest condolenses (sp?) to those, like myself, that are having to endure the wrath of the Water Gods (TVA).
I prefer a full day of fishing in the Park but love tailwaters for those brief windows of fishing time that one gets.
That being said, the very brief times I can get to the Clinch during this schedule have not been too fruitfull. This spring and summer I have been having a banner year on, specifically, the lower Clinch around the jail/church. But, as fall and winter approached, the fishing got slow as molasses (for me anyway) down there.
A supposed "authority" on the Clinch told me that fish will migrate upstream in the winter and one should fish the river from the dam to Miller's island and not fish around the jail.
Does anyone support this? Trout migration on the Clinch? Fish high in winter?
I know that when the first opportunity arises I'm headed to the weir pool just to test this theory.

Your's in waiting,
4X

tire guy
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I am not an authority but I do agree the fishing changes seasonally on the Clinch, at least for me.

ChemEAngler
11-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Does anyone support this? Trout migration on the Clinch? Fish high in winter?
I know that when the first opportunity arises I'm headed to the weir pool just to test this theory.

Your's in waiting,
4X

I can believe that the trout migrate along the river during the seasons, and I agree that the river as a whole typically is slower during the winter. However, I can't agree that the fishing on the lower river is slower than the upper river in the winter. I have had very good days on the lower river in the middle of the winter before, people just have to modify their fishing techniques. What works best in the spring/summer does not typically work as well in the fall/winter.

MadisonBoats
11-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, this schedule has been killing me too. I cannot remember it being so consistent for so long. However, the lake does need to lower several more feet.

Also, TVA has four dams that are getting emergency height increases over this winter to new impound studies.

Too,,,I think they want to have high operation numbers considering the clout they have earned...