PDA

View Full Version : Caney water temp

Stonefly
11-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I fished the Caney yesterday. I couldn't find my thermometer so I don't know what the water temp was, but water seemed abnormally warm. River seemed all but dead. I saw about a half dozen fish -- closest I came to catching one was the small one that hit my indicator. One guy near me made a comment when I mended my line and he thought I'd had a fish -- said that was the most activity anyone had had all day.

There were plenty of bugs, grayish midges by the thousands.

Anyway, to my point. Could this be the result of lake turnover? I haven't seen this before but are they possibly running warmer water than in the summer?

steve

silvercreek
11-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Stonefly, I do not know what the water temp is right below the dam, but yesterday the Rivergages site reported the temp fluctuating beween 56 and 57 degress at Stonewall. Lake temp at surface and at 10 feet was 63. Should be right in the prime zone for feeding. Silvercreek

David Knapp
11-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Water temperature was 59 degrees at Happy as of a week ago...

doghaircaddis
11-28-2009, 04:34 PM
I fished below the dam yesterday too, and the water did seem a bit warm. I caught 2 small browns in about 2 hours. It was real slow.

Caught several good sized browns last weekend at the put-in right below the dam, so I know they're still in there, but the numbers are way down from what I'm used to seeing in that section.

Stonefly
11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
There is the sensation of water temp being above air temp, though it didn't seem that cold out. Later in the year, the water is obviously warmer than the air, though I've never noticed it feeling luke-warm.

Maybe I'm just searching for a reason for my lack of fish.

steve