PDA

View Full Version : Caney 11/28

silvercreek
11-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Fished the Caney today. I got to Lancaster around 1:00pm. Stood around about twenty minutes and did not see a single rise. A couple of flyfishers were above me as was a bait fisher. There was a guy slinging hardware below me. No one caught anything. I did not even string up my rod. Went to Happy Hollow No rises. After about twenty minutes, I saw what appeared to be a couple of small trout rising along the bank above the boat launch. I went to the car to get my vest and rod. As I was stringing up, a jon boat motored right over the trout to land. They never came up again. Stayed until 3:45, and only saw a couple of rises way up stream. A guy in a Native kayak landed and said he had caught two small trout right at the dam. A guy and his son showed up. They had been fishing at the steps and saw one guy catch a small trout. He said the "locals" though stripes had come up the river during the sluicing and ate the trout. Water temp at Lancaster was 59 and the same at Happy. There were thousands of the small mystery bug at Happy, and they appeared to be dipping on the water. They seem to hatch in the morning and oviposit in the afternoon. The evening version is a pale green about size 26. I never even made a cast the entire day.

wm1miller
11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Silvercreek, Thanks for the report....I think.
It doesn't sound good.
I am hoping to get an opportunity to fish the Caney on Monday if the generating schedule allows. Or maybe I had better stick with the Elk and / or Duck?
Regards,
William

Grumpy
11-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I hate to be the GRIM REAPER here, i'm afraid the CF is on the same road of disaster as the Cumbie below Wolf Creek.

Grumpy

David Knapp
11-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Grumpy, I've heard several people saying this...what is the main problem? Runoff from the repairs?

Grumpy
11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Grumpy, I've heard several people saying this...what is the main problem? Runoff from the repairs?

That is part of it, water quality & temps haven't done it any good, along with a big striper run & i mean "big" striper.
I hope the river proves me wrong, from the "get go" the Corp said it could happen, i was & still hoping that they could see where they screwed up on Wolf Creek & avoid it on the CF, THEY NEGLECTED SOME THINGS ON BOTH!

Grumpy

fishingman62
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
what do you mean by that crumpy.... i am not familiar with what happened to the cunberland at wolf creek....... i guess i havent lived here long enough to know the details...please elaborate.....
thaxs dan

silvercreek
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
The Caney was fishing fine before the two months of sluicing at 1800cfs. Rivergage temp readings at Stonewall did not get to lethal levels. Can't say about dissolved oxygen. If that is published I can't find it. The striper theory is interestiing. There were some decent reports of catches right after the sluicing stopped, but activity seems to be going down. I did see some activity last Monday when it was overcast and could have had a decent day if I had the fly to match what was hatching. Did get one 14 inch brown. It will be interesting to hear reports from today when it is overcast. Sure would like to hear more discussion on this topic. Regards to all. Silvercreek

Stonefly
11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
As for the stripers, they've been coming up from the Cumberland for years, and haven't wiped out the trout, though they do eat some of course. The hardware guys use rainbow-imitating swim baits to catch 'em, in fact. What would be different about this year?

steve

silvercreek
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I didn't fish the Caney last year. Did they have any long periods of sluicing last year? From the Rivergages site it does not appear that they did. Maybe it's El Nino or global warming or somebody is just not holding their mouth right. I'm beginning to remember why I stopped fishing the Caney.

Stonefly
11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
The primary danger as I understand it, was that while the lake was drawn down for repairs, a big rain event could force the Corps to run water for safety reasons, to keep the lake from filling too much. If this happened during hot weather, the lake water would be above the trout's range, because the lake isn't holding enough cold. Those temps running thru the river would wipe out the trout population. If we made it thru the summer though, we should be OK, from what I heard.

Now where do the stripers come into the picture?

steve

Stonefly
11-29-2009, 12:35 PM
PS - I had a bad dream last night, that I was standing in a dead river, casting for fish that weren't there. Looked exactly like yesterday...

steve

gutshot
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
As I posted earlier this year the number of trout in the system seems drastically lower than in years past. I am not sure if this is due to increased harvest, increased predation by striped bass, reduced stocking due to water quality concerns, or some combination of this and other factors.

I wonder when the last stocking of the river occurred? Is the state done for the year? I remember some heavy stocking in years past just around this time. Has this been canceled? The website says March-December so maybe they are holding off until cold weather ensures increased survival?

How are the hatcheries fairing?

Also, with the water temp changes as the larger trout move up river to mock spawn many smaller trout reduce their visibility. This might be a contributing factor as well. Although I have not heard any good staging reports from the people I know who are out there flogging the water.

What of the brook trout? I haven't heard a single report of one being caught since August.

Have any of you run your boats over the pool tail-outs and just counted trout? Often a great indicator of not biting vs. no fish.....

GS

silvercreek
11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
I caught several brook trout both at the steps and Happy in September before the sluicing took place. The rivergage site shows only a few short spikes of temps at or slightly above 70 at Stonewall. Maybe we are just jumping the gun and this is a temporary thing. At least I hope so. Silvercreek

silvercreek
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I mis remembered. From July until now the temp at Stonewall never got above 69 and that was only for a few hours. Silvercreek

doghaircaddis
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
What of the brook trout? I haven't heard a single report of one being caught since August.
GS

Caught a pale, sickly looking one near the dam last weekend.