PDA

View Full Version : First Smoky Camping Trip

Steve Watkins
11-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I will be coming into Townsend area for a camping trip this summer (late June) and was hoping for some advice on campgrounds. We are car camping for a base camp with the possibility of a couple of overnight excursions. What is the best campground for car camping that has fishing close by.

steve

GrouseMan77
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
If you are looking to "car camp" within the park I would suggest Elkmont which would alo be great for "overnight excursions". Might want to make reservations as soon as you can.

Jim Casada
11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I will be coming into Townsend area for a camping trip this summer (late June) and was hoping for some advice on campgrounds. We are car camping for a base camp with the possibility of a couple of overnight excursions. What is the best campground for car camping that has fishing close by.

steve
Steve Watkins--Jason is right for the Tennessee side of the Park, and if you want to be close to Townsed Elkmont's your best choice. On the N. C. side Smokemont is a very good choice, with eight or 10 streams quite close by.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

oldhickory
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Steve,

I have tent camped in the Smokemont campgrounds on the NC side for many years. It's a great campground and I love the fishing there. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that you have to drive over the mountain to get to Cades Cove and the other Tennessee attractions.:rolleyes: No matter which side, have FUN! :biggrin: And yes, make reservations early!
Michael

Dancing Bear
11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Steve,

When planning your camping trip keep in mind that there are no showers/ bathing facilities in the park campgrounds. There are toilets and an outdoor sink for dishes, or you, if you don't mind cold water. I think there is a rent-a-shower in Gatlinburg but I don't know where it is. We love to camp in the park even without showers.

Mike

BlueRaiderFan
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I like Treemont Campground. It's the last place on the left as you enter the park from Townsend (look for a bridge). They have showers, toilets, wash sink, a pool, a pool table, wifi, video games and a tiny store.

Mundele
12-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I also recommend Elkmont. Do make reservations early, like tomorrow, especially if you'll be there near the lightning bug viewing time (synchronized fireflies).

GrouseMan77
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Steve,

Please note that the "Treemont Campground" that Blue mentioned is outside the park and you will be subject to all of the stuff that you might be looking to get away from (such as: "showers, toilets, wash sink, a pool, a pool table, wifi, video games and a tiny store"). ;)

Grannyknot
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I drove by that Treemont campground a week or so ago.....every single site must have had a raging leaf/trash fire burning because the entire area was full of thick smoke. Looked like a good place for cousin Eddie to stay. :smile:

GrouseMan77
12-02-2009, 09:26 AM
It was the same way on Saturday afternoon when I came through. I thought I was on the Blazing Fury ride accross the ridge.

BlueRaiderFan
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't get to stay in the park much. Wife insists that she be able to shower every day. ;) Treemont has some nice cabins for the price and proximity to the park, but I do agree; encuorage others to stay away from my favorite restin' spot.