PDA

View Full Version : Was it the softhackle, the flourocarbon, or me?

tjw37909
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Once again I spent the day on the Catch and Release section of Raven Fork. The 38 degree water made for what looked to be a long day, but turned out to be fun. I dropped my beadheads and opted for two softhackle pheasant tails with splitshot. I also broke down and dropped a dime on some flourocarbon tippet. Maybe the change in flies or tippet made the difference, but today was a good day. I had 5 fish break my 4x off like it was a piece of thread. I did manage to land 10 fish, the smallest being a 13 inch brookie. Here are pics of the brookie and the two biggest bows I got in.
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae277/tjw37909/12-7-09/1207091547-00.jpg
Here is the 20 inch rainbow
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae277/tjw37909/12-7-09/1207091502-01.jpg
And here is the 21 inch rainbow. I nkow it looks shorter, but it's just so fat it looks that way. Fat fish.
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae277/tjw37909/12-7-09/1207091443-00.jpg

Hatchie Dawg
12-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice fish. I'm sure it was the fisherman.

elkhaircaddis
12-07-2009, 11:54 PM
that floro has no stretch, you have to watch it sometimes. Itll snap quick if you let it

pmike
12-08-2009, 10:58 AM
...that tying flouro to mono will result in frequent snaps...

Mike

jeffnles1
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm absolutely sure it was the flourocarbon tippet!

I use soft hackles and regular old mono tippet and never catch fish like that so it has to be the tippet! :smile:

Of course, the fisherman may have played some small part in this, but I'm pretty well convinced it was the tippet.:biggrin:

Oh by the way, nice fish.

tjw37909
12-08-2009, 03:30 PM
That would be an insult, but I believe the same thing haha. I am going to have to get some stronger flouro to get some of those hogs over there in though. Need some 20 pound test on some of those things even when I play them for a long time.

jeffnles1
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
TJW,
Just joking with you a bit.

In all seriousness, I've never seen equipment catch a fish. I've seen equipment help land a fish and I've seen equipment help present a fly or lure to a fish, but it's the fisherman who has to know where the fish are, what they're eating, how to present the fly and when to set the hook. Equipment will never help with these things.

Jeff

tjw37909
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I think the thing that helped the most as far as the fisherman is concerned is reading and getting advice on here. Some hints on improving my drigt and other things(which came from this forum) seem to have helped me tremndously. I am trying to limit myself to fishing once a month, but I don't think I can do it.

Bran
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice fish! I still want to go over there sometime but dang, there are actually paths on the bank in the pics! That place must be getting a pile of attention.

tjw37909
12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
It gets a lot of attention, but their stocking program is so good that it makes up for it. The easiest thing to do is go early and stake your claim on a good hole and sit on it. If you move you may not find another good stretch for a while, so I fisha hole, sit on the bank and let them calm down, then fish it more.

Bran
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Have you had any problems with people wanting to fish on top of you?

tjw37909
12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I have only had one guy do it, but usually they will move along. The guy that did get right on me walked up to the stream bank, asked me if I was going to fish the hole I was standing in, then got 50 feet below me after I started fishing.

jeffnles1
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I have only had one guy do it, but usually they will move along. The guy that did get right on me walked up to the stream bank, asked me if I was going to fish the hole I was standing in, then got 50 feet below me after I started fishing.

That happens on one of the tail waters around here from time to time. Mostly, I don't mind unless they start really crowding me or are jerks about it.

Sometimes, it's fun to keep right on catching fish and watching them not catching fish.

One time, a guy did this. He came in about 60-70' downstream from me and started fishing. After about 5 or 6 fish that I caught, he hollered up to ask what I was using. I told him what fly I was using and he tied on something similar (or at least it looked like he was doing that). I caught another 2 or 3 fish and he asked how I was fishing it. I told him he must have scared all the fish up my way.:biggrin:

Actually, he was a pretty decent fellow but it was his first time fly fishing. We ended up chatting for about 45 minutes, I gave him a few flies I had tied and showed him a couple pointers about mending his line and getting a decent drift. I moved on to another spot and let him have the run all to himself.

Jeff

Bran
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I was fishing for the stockers in Gatlinburg last summer, a guy comes up with his wife and teenage kids. He starts talking as I CNR a couple of nice little fish and then proceeds to go directly across form me and cast over me!! His family then does the same thing, I'm speechless! They were chunking some kinda bait on spinning rods and of all things I kept catching fish regular and they didn't so much as get a chase out of the fish. They got mad after a while and packed up while I was still catching and releasing one every few minutes on the double dropper rig.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

tjw37909
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
I had a guy do the same thing behind The Peddler restaurant this summer. Everyone says the delayed harvest in Gatlinburg is horrible this year. I spotlight the water from different bridges there during the night when I am at work and nothing is going on, and all I have seen is a big muskrat.

Noonan
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
We were over that way last weekend on our bi-annual hangover/fishing trip and did pretty well. Couple of big fish landed as well as plenty of 16-18". Although there were a lot of folks on that small stretch of water, everyone seemed to share pretty well. Matter of fact, I chatted up a guy who was packing up for the day just to make an introduction and see how he did. He ended up giving me the bug he was using that worked so well and told me where his honey hole is! He has some good karma coming his way for sure. He was retired and lived near by and was just getting his buddy into fly fishing. I mention this in part b/c it was just nice to meet such a kind stranger and also, just to say thanks again in case he happens to post on this board.

Cheers!

tjw37909
12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I have run in to some really nice people there too. I have had several people be fishing a very large hole and tell me I am welcome to jump on the other side or get the opposite end of the hole. Everone is good about sharing fly info too.

spotlight
12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Very nice fish man! I have yet to only meet nice folks while fly fishing but then again I have never even attempted to crowd anyone. I see someone fishing in or near a hole I'd like to fish I just move on to the next one well up or downstream. Great photos them are some very nice fish.

tjw37909
12-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Thank you. I can't wait to get a chance to go back.