PDA

View Full Version : Cow Standing Factor

BlueRaiderFan
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
What is it?

silvercreek
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
The more cows standing, the better the fishing will be. LRO is the only website that provides such crucial information to the fly fisher. Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
12-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Silver! :biggrin:

Rebelsoul
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I have heard all my life "if the cows are layin' down the fish won't bite".
also "if the wind is from the east,the fish bite the least"...so if the cows are laying down in an east wind....forget it.:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh no...:eek:!

Tippet
12-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I know on the private farms I fish there are always cows standing, and it doesn't help my sorry butt certain days.

waterwolf
12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Totally a myth, heard that stuff for years about deer hunting, fishing, turkeys, etc etc.

One thing is for sure nothing will bite or die if you are sitting at the house and not giving it your best.

silvercreek
12-20-2009, 09:54 AM
So what factors do you guys think predict fishing success? Wind direction, barometer, moon phase, etc. Silvercreek

The Principal
12-20-2009, 12:47 PM
The main factor I use is whether I can sneak off and go that particular day or not.

flyguys
12-20-2009, 12:56 PM
For what it's worth, I have noticed on the way to a fishing spot, if you see any critter movement whatsoever, like raccoons, possums, deer, etc. moving about then the fishing seems to be ok. The more I see moving the better the fishing will be. Just an observation. flyguys

highpockets
12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Here's something interesting. The other night it was about to start snowing and I was driving home. It started to sleet a little and when I went by a big pasture near my house I noticed that all of the cows were lying down. Cows can feel the pressure change just like other animals and will react, but I don't know how much you could use that towards predicting fishing success.

Here's a fact that has been proven to be true and can be handy; Cows almost always feed in a North-South direction. No matter the shape or size of the field or where you live! Handy to know when you don't have a compass.

waterwolf
12-21-2009, 12:09 AM
It's all about water conditions, if they are good then fishing is normally good as well.

With that said, I find that river smallmouth fishing with either clouds or rain is bad, and when it is bright and sunny it is excellent. I would almost say the same for trout as well, especially tailwater trout. I think the tailwater trout and sun equation has more to do with the sun warming the water slightly and springing the insects into action.

silvercreek
12-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Waterwolf, You are right about sun on the water for the tailwaters. However those stockers they put in in the winter below Percy Priest dam are an exception. When the water has dropped to the last foot or so, they start feeding on the surface provided it is cloudy. If the clouds break up, they stop feeding. They will resume if it clouds up. I go there as it is a very short distance from where I live, and I use it to try my midge patterns. I'm not sure why the cloudy conditions are necessary. Maybe it is because there is no water flow there and the trout feel too exposed to feed. Just a guess. Regards, Silvercreek

waterwolf
12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
It's because they are weirdo stockers:biggrin: . Nothing can be harder or easier to catch then a freaking stocker. I have seen them eat anything that hits the water, then others who would not eat a worm.

They are bizarre little nasty creatures posing as trout.

Have you ever had it to where they would not eat dead drifted flies, and everything must be swung or drug in order for them to eat it.

silvercreek
12-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Yep. On one of my few trips to the Caney this year, they did not want a dead drift emerging midge, but when I stripped it under water on the retrieve to minimize the surface disturbance, they hammered it. These were the same trout that were taking the same pattern on the surface just a week before. All trout are weird, stockers are just weirder. Silvercreek