PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Thing You've Ever Caught???

Grampus
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Date: Sept 11, 2006

After walking down from the upper parking lot, I crossed over to the far side and began working my way up a small set of rapids. Dead drifting an egg bead beneath an indicator fishing for large 'bows, my indicator "ticked" slightly as it made its way along the current. I set the hook, but missed. Stripping my line in, I felt a slight weight on the end. Upon inspection, I discovered a Timex Expedition watch with a badly water-logged band. It was still ticking. Returning home, I bought a band and still wear it to this day.

Merry Christmas to All!

Grampus

Carolina Boy
12-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Small Juvenile Bat, ended up killing it as it aparently locked into the motion of the leader/line and got all wrapped up in it, it was dark/dusk so I thought it was a fish and as I stripped and reeled I figured a bass/bream, nope so I was surprised when up comes a crazy bat flopping everywhere and well he's dead?

sammcdonald
12-22-2009, 09:14 PM
hellbender.....caught below tremont institute on a weighted, slow drifted green weenie....was a shock...almost as big a shock as i had when one tried to climb up my pants leg while wet wading in khaki's in the same area....i tossed tht slippery thing 15 feet and then got out of the water to calm down

Speck Lover
12-22-2009, 09:19 PM
A small water snake of some variety while I was using a popper fishing for smallmouth on the New River. I'm not sure who was more disturbed, me or the snake. Needless to say, I cut the leader.

silvercreek
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Sea gull. They show up for the drake hatches out west. It bit me once hard enough to draw blood while I was trying to get the hook out of it.
I like your new Avatar Spec Lover. Can't imagine how you came up with it. Regards, Silvercreek

The Principal
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Sam,
That literally added new meaning to the term wet wading didn't it?
It would have for me .

Jim Casada
12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Grampus et al.--It would be a toss-up, I guess, between two water dogs (hellbenders), one bat, and one snake. In each case I sacrificed a fly. Worse than any of those, however, was noticing a dead fish on the bottom in about 18 inches of water. I reached down to pick it up only to discover it was attached to a water dog. Talk about quick release!
Jim Casada

mayday
12-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I caught a safe below the 321 bridge in 1987!

MikeStrength
12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow Mayday. What size tippet were you using?

nvr2L8
12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Fishing Lynn Camp Prong before it closed I hooked a dragon fly in mid-air. Took me a while to pull it in because it kept flying around with my line.

Jubal
12-22-2009, 11:25 PM
back in my much younger days before I graduated to the fine sport of fly fishing I managed to hoss in a turtle while bait fishing. that was wild for a 13 year old or whatever I was at the time. he obviously wasn't hooked he just wouldn't let go.

fly fisherman DK
12-23-2009, 12:14 AM
My strangest catch ever was a turtle, but my dad has had to purposely catch my cousin's spinning rod once before after she acidentally dropped it in the White River in Arkansas. He did it by putting heavy split shot right above the hook, and then slowly reeling it until it caught the rod.

fishingman62
12-23-2009, 01:09 AM
while perch fishing up home from the north pier of the shipping channel that seperates presque isle bay from lake erie in erie pa....i caught the lawn chair of a guy who had lost chair and pole to a fish... got it all back for the guy.... chair, rod and a 24" carp...... a segull and the same sea turtle twice from the daytona beach pier....
dan

Rocketroy
12-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I was casting to rising fish,under overhanging trees,on the above D/H, with some success,when a take and hook up resulted in a 11 in. brown which at the time had a lot of underwater flash,which I soon discovered was the retaining ring of a "Mason Jar" ,that he managed to get around his body aft of the gills......that was beginning to cut into that area of his body! A little streamside removal move cleared him of his jewelry,along with my elk hair caddis,and we both were on our way! Rugged little creatures,these trout! Regards, Rocketroy {*Drag free postings}....... Think he was in drag? RR

Troutman
12-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Last summer I caught a 10-12lb snapping turtle on a #2 red/white Clouser over on Chilhowee lake fishing from the canoe.

Bran
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Great thread! I've been smiling all the way through. I've done the turtles, and told the story of my mallard duck on here before, but I think the wierdest was actually a fish. A few years back I was casting for striped bass on the spawning run and hooked a Bowfin. He was about 3 pounds and fought better than a Smallmouth but that's one of the oddest creatures I've ever seen. Once I got him in the boat he excreted a green slime that was the foulest smelling thing you could imagine and it took a few days to get the funk off the boat.

Noonan
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Few years back, I "caught" a Hellbender on a prince nymph on the Nantahala. Thought I had a heavy fish on that just didn't move much. Scared the crap out of me when he grabbed my line and started pulling himself up. He got to keep that fly.

Also caught a rainbow who had already had a hook, from a previous fisherman, lodged in his tongue. The hook of my #20 BWO went into the eye of the other hook so I landed a fish without actually hooking it anywhere on its body. He was probably happy when I sent him back without either hook.

Carolina Boy
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I almost forgot, I caugh a love seat/recliner on a lower stretch of the SoHo, I must have looked odd standing on top of the thing trying to retrieve my fly, the thing started moving so I got off quick and alass the lazyboy got my fly! :rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Saw this on a board somewhere:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2009/we4.jpg

woodman
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
My wife - while smallmouth fishing on the Buffalo River. The Buffalo River is a great river to canoe while also indulging in few adult beverages. On one occassion I had paddled the canoe into one of the many rocky shoals and proceeded to make a cast from the sitting position at the back of the boat. As my multi colored sneaky pete popper came forward on the front cast my wife' arm was reaching into the cooler. The 1/0 hook lodged in the meaty part of her forearm . I can add ; the only way to remove a popper which is imbedded in your wives arm is to force the hook back thru the skin; and cut the hook with a pair of pliers. I didn't know as****le could be preceeded with so many adjectives.

Mac
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Caught my brothers ear on a back cast in Hazel. I could not quite laughing as i was running for my life. :biggrin:

David Knapp
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I've caught a snapping turtle and a snake before but this fall I had something that was new for me. While fishing Hatchery Creek on the Cumberland, I broke off a nice fish of around 20 inches on a red larva pattern I tie. About a week later, I was fishing up there with Joe Mcgroom when I hooked a good fish. After chasing it around the creek, we finally got it in the net. While removing the fly, we noticed another fly stuck in its mouth. I found the larva that I had lost the previous week firmly imbedded in the fish. Ironically, I hooked the fish on the same larva pattern the second time as well although in a smaller size... Fish aren't always as smart as we give 'em credit for...:cool:

Waterborn
12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
An errant cast up at the Chimneys landed behind some rocks by the pocket I was trying for....then the line started moving over the rock away from me. A gentle lift produced a salmander hanging on with resolve to my bead head green weenie...

Vern
12-23-2009, 06:18 PM
When I was 13 (long time ago) a friend and I was camping and fishing a small lake. A big storm came up while we were fishing grass hoppers, I quickly laid my rod down and ran to camp to put everything up and zip the tent up. After the storm quit we went back down to the lake, my rod has disappeared! After looking around it was no where to be found. Who in thier right mind would go during a lighting storm to steal a rod? Went back to camp and picked up my spare rod. I started fishing again, this time with a rubber worm, felt a good bump and set the hook. The fight was on, WOW this must be a 10# bass, then I saw the rubber handle come out of the water with the worm hook stuck in it. But the strange was the rod kept moving in the water. I grabbed the end of the rod and the fight was on again, this time with my lost rod. Finally I brought in a 27" blue catfish. That was the largest fresh fish I had ever caught, it just took two rods. And man was I glad to get the rod back, it was my first real bait caster, an Ugly Stick with an Ambassador reel. That thing set me back $70, which in 1974 was a lot of money for a 13 year old.

bones
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
A overhead cast on Walker Camp Prong next to what I assume is a popular pulloff pulled real hard on the forward part of the cast. I looked back to see what it was as someones bra floated onto my face. No end to what folks will leave lying in the raodside rhodo.

highstick
12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Caught a sturgeon while smallmouth fishing the little pigeon once. I was in forestry school at the time and new some fisheries students and showed them the pictures. Turns out the fish released in the french broad had not been located and they had no idea that there were sturgeon that far up the little pigeon. Had to do some fine navigation work to get where it was caught. Ended up getting a couple of letters and a tee shirt out of that deal. Also, I have not landed one, but have had several king fishers dive bomb poppers on various rivers as well. Have also towed in a turtle or two.

mayday
12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I once went fishing with my future father-in-law. We were on Douglas Lake fishing for bass. I was in the process of flinging a large bass fly toward shore when I hooked him (John Stapleton) in the ear while on my forward cast. I pulled out the hook. A few minutes later I got him at the back of the neck. I pulled that hook loose as well. I put my fly rod down and began using my spin outfit. I hooked a large mouth bass, got it to the boat and as I reached down to lip it the other set of tripple barbed hooks sank into my thumb as the fish thrashed about. I could not let go of the fish because I was attached to the lure and to the fish by proxy. Of course, Johnny got a kick out of that and REALLY ENJOYED getting two barbs out of my thumb. I did marry his daughter by the way. Been married 23 years! What a catch she was!

flyman
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
71 Ford LTD station-wagon, hooked it by the rear bumper. It was crossing the low water concrete bridge on the Straight Fork, back in the day before they had the new fancy bridge. I was making a cross chest back handed cast with a size 6 black stone fly nymph. Got a solid hook up on the bumper, busted my knuckles on the old Pfluger reel handle and took me into my backing before I could react. Never really stood much of a chance of landing it with just a 5wt and 3X, just to large and heavy. Last thing I saw was faux wood paneling and about 8 kids with their faces pressed to the windows waving at me:biggrin:

Jim Casada
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Flyman--Your long distnce release after a temporary meaningful connection with a moving vehicle reminds me of a truly great story--Rudyard Kipling's "The Fine Art of Dry Cow Fishing." It is hilarious and can be found in various angling and sporting anthologies including one I co-edited, "Last Casts and Stolen Hunts." The title of the piece gives a pretty good idea of its thrust. Jim Casada

The Principal
12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Boat anchor, My Cousin and his son were bottom fishing for catfish in the main channel
of the Coosa River below the Cedar Bluff Bridge. [Cedar Bluff Al.] My Cousin got a hook up and was having a hard time fighting the fish. He asked me to take the rod he was afraid he would lose the fish. I fought that fish for about 15 mins. I was sweeting like a mule plowiing corn in July. He kept lifting the anchor so we could drift with the fish.
After me tugging on the anchor finally nearly pulled it out of his hands we realized what happened. That event of me fighting that anchor is still discussed at family gatherings.

mora521
12-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Caught a copperhead on a elk hair caddis while fishing Panther creek(the one that flows into Abrams creek)in 1994.Caught a nekkid hippie chick in the last fishable pool before it it drops off the mountain in Flat laurel creek near Ivestor gap in the Pisgah NF in 1996.Did not actually hook her but we did hook up as they say.Her dreadlocks smelled like coconuts.

jeffnles1
12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Caught a duck last summer. I was casting in a local pond when one of the resident ducks swam over my floating line. Usually, they just swim around it or turn back, this stupid duck swam right over it. Then, it took off flying (drake mallard) and got all tangled up on his foot. I put a little pressure on the drag and it came back to the lake and started flopping around making all kinds of racket. It got untangled, I got my fly back and the duck swam away squawking at me. All in all, a pretty funny day.

Jeff

rockhopper
12-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I was wondering if this would count , because he was a strange dude. First time I ever threw a fly rod was a float trip down the Yellowstone out of Gardner Mt. in 1990. I couldnt fish for you know what and I hook that poor guy at least 5 times and the fifth was a memorable one when his hat floated down the river and he pulled that boat over said lets start from scratch . Turned out to be a great teacher and guide got me hooked but he was by far the strangest and most dangerous thing I have caught to this day.

Feliz Navidad!

flyred06
12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
The strangest thing I ever caught was when I was fishing with my dad on the coosa here in alabama. we fished conventional tackle and I was throwing a spoon. I hooked into something that was a dead weight and no fight. When I got it up to the boat I relized it was a sleeping bag that had gotten out into the river. On another trip my dad hooked all but the strangest. while casting a 1/2 oz rattle trap he rared back and caught my wife in the hair of her head. when he went forward she screamed. We had to cut that one out.

Merry Christmas

Rog 1
12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I have been fishing a long time....have caught a lot of junk in a lot of water....biggest non-fish was a four foot alligator and never figured out who had who....then on the same water I hooked a red tail hawk that swooped down on my little rapala...and again on this same little lake I hooked a huge bull frog that took my little streamer while bass fishing.

MadisonBoats
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
This is a great topic! It brings back a memory about getting hooked.

Unfortunately; I was on the receiving end of a treble hook. My brother, cousin, and I were fishing in a jon boat on Cove Lake when we were kids and my brother was notorious for having a lousy cast, but major whip action. Well, we showed up at 8am with minnows, food, and excitement to see what the day would bring us...No motors on this lake; so, we paddled to the first spot. As soon as I was putting my paddle down in the boat-I heard my brother's famous whip of the rod and felt my head sling hard to the right. It was like someone slapped me in the face with a bat. He had snagged me in the left ear and all three hooks set deep past the barbs perfectly around my ear canal inside my ear lobe. This was a rare shot. Instantly blood started rolling down my face and my brother was looking around the boat to see what he had snapped his line on. He asked what he had got caught on and I said, "It is in my d#$@ ear".

Well, I let him and my cousin try and get the hook out since we had just started and I wanted to fish. I could hear every movement tearing the cartilage in my ear. We paddled back to the park office and a ranger came to help. He said he could get this out in five minutes and he has seen this numerous times. After fifteen minutes; he said you are going to have to go to the hospital to get this cut out.

So, they wrapped my head and I went to the E.R. It took them three hours to cut this sucker out. The doctor had the nerve to joke with my brother by asking him if he wanted me mounted. He changed his smile when he saw my fist balled up and ready to strike.:biggrin:

The park gave us a rain-check and we fished another day. I will never forget that day.

Ky Tim
12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Hooked and landed a sauger on a No. 4 Sneaky Pete while smallmouth fishing on Otter Creek here in KY. My guess is that it made a run up out of the Ohio River.

Rebelsoul
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I caught an eel in Turnbull Creek,at first I thought it was a snake but it wasn't.My grandfather was with me and said he knew they were in there but hadn't seen one in a long time.
Come to think of it I have never looked up anything on freshwater eels...might be interesting.

*edited to add*...after taking a few minutes to search for eels,I don't think that's what it was,it's been so long ago would anyone know what it could have been.I'm thinking "eel" was just a country name for it,after all,some of the oldtimers around here called blue tail lizards "scorpions".

Jim Casada
12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Rebelsoul--I wonder if that "eel" might have been a hellbender (also known as a water dog). As for the blue-tailed lizards (they are really skinks, I believe) I have often heard them called scropions in the Smokies. Also, I never knew a dragon fly was a dragon fly until I was grown. They were variously called "snake feeders," "mosquito hawks," or "Devil's knitting needles."
To me, all are more interesting terms than dragon fly. The old mountain folks had a truly wonderful way with words, and mountain place names and colloquial terms are wonderful--examples would be Charlie's Bunion, Huggins ****, Needmore, Stony Lonesome, Long Hungry Ridge, Advaloream Branch, and literally hundreds more.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

stuart
12-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I hooked a nnice snapping turtle on a big popper this past summer. I hit under a tree next to the bank and popped it. I saw the turtle come up behind it. So I popped it again sorta light and it ran his neck out and i hooked him. I lost it about 5ft from me. That may have been a good thing. i didn't have alot of poppers that day and it could have gotten ugly for one of us, probably me! I also have knocked 2 birds out of the air, never landed one broke off during false casting.

STU

knucklehead
01-01-2010, 02:30 AM
I caught an eel in Turnbull Creek,at first I thought it was a snake but it wasn't.My grandfather was with me and said he knew they were in there but hadn't seen one in a long time.
Come to think of it I have never looked up anything on freshwater eels...might be interesting.

*edited to add*...after taking a few minutes to search for eels,I don't think that's what it was,it's been so long ago would anyone know what it could have been.I'm thinking "eel" was just a country name for it,after all,some of the oldtimers around here called blue tail lizards "scorpions".

from my very limited experience, could've been a siren or maybe even an amphiuma, a very eel-like salamander often called a conger eel. both siren and amphiumas have small, very small legs and at a quick glance, strongly resemble eels. not sure if either occupies that creek but worth looking into at least..

knucklehead
01-01-2010, 02:36 AM
strangest catch ever: parents and i were fishing rocky ford creek in central washington. across this semi-desert oasis is a narrow, one person bridge one can easily fish from. and i was. and then...3 mergansers came flying by...under the bridge...and I felt the familiar nudge of a strike...set the hook and started reeling. then while i was letting line go, i noticed a commotion several yards away in the general direction of my fly and supposed fish...dad caught a glimpse of my line (he was down stream) and said i had foul-hooked it...the it being a merganser. now i always watch out for ducks when fishing a bridge..

Randy Ratliff
01-01-2010, 09:05 AM

JohnH0802
01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Not quite the strangest thing I have caught, but here goes. In the late 1990's the first time I was stationed at Parris Island, I was bass fishing with by fishing partner. I had just stepped down off of the front casting deck to change a lure, when my buddy hauled back to make a cast from the back casting deck..

He ended up knocking me down, I lost my prescription sun glasses into the river along with my hat. He had a nice fat Norman plug on and he really nailed me. the back treble hook scraped up the underside of my jaw, bounced off of my jaw bone taking out two chunks, and burried itself in my cheek, two of the hooks of the trebble hook burried to the bend.

I had him cut the two hooks, then I made him push each hook back through my cheek. These hooks were barbed and it is really quite amazing how much pressure you have to put on them the get them through skin.....anyway it took him about 45 minutes to get them both pushed through. After they were out, I was good to go and started to fish again. My buddy however was as green as could be and had to sit in the back for a good hour before he was able to stand up without getting sick. My wife still gives him a hard time about the big one he hooked!

Ok, remembering this story has caused me to remember my two other getting hooked stories....The first was in the early 80's when I was visiting my uncle in LA. We were out bass fishing all day. We got back to the landing, got loaded up, and then saw some really big crappie busting on the other side of this creek that wasn't too wide. We decided to give it a shot. After about an hour it was time to go....I bent down to pick up a couple of rods, and my uncle slapped me as hard as he could across the back of the neck with his fishing rod....

This is what it felt like to me at least when I straightened up and asked him what the **** he had hit me for. It was then that I noticed the mouth hanging upen and green shade to his face....he had gotten an rooster tail spinner caught on a bush across the creek, and when he jerked to yank it out, it came out of the bush and nailed me in the back of the neck. One of the trebble hook points had burried itself into the back of my neck.

He tried for about an hour to remove it with pliers with no success, so he took me to a doc in a box. The doctor wrapped some wire around the hook and pulled as hard as he could, and the wire broke. This repeated itself two additional times with bigger wire each time. At this point my 13-year old self let the doctor know in no uncertain terms that we would no longer be doing it his way. I explained to the doctor where the barb was on the hook, had him pull on the hook with a decent amount of pressure, and use a scalple to cut right where the bulg of the barb was, and out popped the hook.

Well this post is long enough, I will save the third time for another post.

John

BlueRaiderFan
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
My dad hooked me as a boy. He cut it out with a knife. I still swear he enjoyed it. Probably could have just pulled it out, but wanted to see the carnage. Mean old son of a...:eek:

bredmon930
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
The strangest thing I have ever caught came just last week on tues. the 29th. I was fishing Trammel creek in Ky and fishing streamers deep. I started stripping it back and felt an abrupt stop and set the hook hard thinking it was a big brown. Unfortunately there was no fighting on the the other end. I started trying to pull the line in and got nothing so thinking i was hung on a log i pointed my rod straight down the line and started walking backwards to break my tippet when i noticed a small rope moving a little. I followed the rope up to a small piece of drift wood then walked up to it and peered into the water and found a big fish trap about the size of 55 gallon drum. I pulled the trap in and got my fly loose. it had a small 9-10 inch carp in it, and from the fresh bait had just recently been placed. I threw the trap back in the water and continued my day of fishing. The next morning i called it in to the game warden and then on thurs. meet him at the stream and began our long hike to the trap. He inspected it, took pics of it and threw it back. We scoped the area out and found a good spot of him to come back and set up his camera to catch the bastard, and I hope he does. One thing i hate the most are poachers. How lazy can you be that you can't go out and atleast chunk bait with a rod, you have to set up an illegal trap and take way more than your share of the fish, trout, bass, cats, carp, whatever it is your after. I just hope they catch the jackass.

hw3
01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Once at dusk caught a Blue Jay on a backcast; was he upset. Took a while to untangle leader without hooking myself or bird. Stayed around to yell at me for a while after release. Caught sea turtle and eel bait fishing in FL, and a gar on a flyrod. Watson

elkhaircaddis
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
i caught a muskrat once on a doughball and a lamprey on a grub. Ive also caught crappie with lampreys attached. Also found a dead freshwater eel onetime at ft loudoun dam

jross
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
i thought I had nothing really exciting to share, until this memory came back!

I caught a bullfrog tadpole on a tamdem spinner bait! No joke. I was at my wife's uncle's horse pond, hoping there'd be something in there. Well there was something in there...tadpoles! The meanest tadpoles in the world. And it gets weirder. I decided to cast back out with the tadpole on and the extra weight messed up my accuracy, so there is a spinner bait with a tadpole mummy hanging over that pond!