PDA

View Full Version : Another New Hoosier

ahighlan
12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been on here reading for several months and thought I'd finally get around to introducing myself.

I live in Bloomington, IN. I started fly fishing this past summer and have become addicted. I did a lot of spin fishing as a kid, but since I've bought a fly rod I haven't touched my spinning gear.

I've been to the Smokies three times in the past year(twice fishing). Hopefully I'll make it down more often now that I've finished college and I will be working a compressed schedule that allows me every other Friday off.

Anyway, looking forward to learning from you all and sharing some good times.

nvr2L8
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
ahighlan,

Welcome to the board! Must be tough fly fishing in Indiana this time of year. But, then, there's always basketball to keep you busy till March. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Jim Casada
12-30-2009, 08:39 AM
ahighlan--A hearty welcome. You'll find a lot of friendly advice, remarkable insight, and all sorts of itneresting tips here. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

ahighlan
12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks.

Yeah, not much fly fishing here right now. I did get to fish a few hours in Missouri the day after Thanksgiving, but that is about it. Itching for Spring.

FlyFishingPastor
01-01-2010, 12:52 PM
ahighlan;

Yep, as a fellow hoosier, I feel your (fly fishing) pain. However, I can tell you from personal experience that a run down to the S. Holston a couple times in the winter will cure your "shack nasties." It's beautiful (if they'd just let up the "generating" a bit) and a true trout-fishing treasure. I'd also recommend hiring a guide the first time you fish it - if you haven't already.

Pat

ahighlan
01-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I've been watching conditions at a few places, particularly the Cumberland.

It sounds like Brookville Tailwater is in bad shape right now between the feuding, poaching, and dam repairs/lowering to winter pool.

I figure in about 2 months things will start looking better down south, and it will be here before we know it. In the mean time I can keep myself busy between work, reading, and fly tying.