PDA

View Full Version : caney 1-6-10

fishingman62
01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
we floated the caney in bills drift boat yesterday.....we started at the dam about 12:15.....the water was coming off of generation 2 from 5am -10am and 1 from 10am -11am...... i caught my first and only fish of the day before we got to the steps......a 12 inch rainbow on an olive woolyzonker with a tungston bead head and wrapped with lead weight .....only threw streamers all day all in large sizes.... tryed the green thing, a black with white and silver tinsle wollyzonker the olive i caught the fish on and somethig new i tryed ..... a beadhead weighted with rabbit strip wrapped to form the body...cool looking fly hope it will do well ...it has great movent in the current.....had 2 other hits all the way to happy hollow.....the other guy who fished with us was trowing 4-8 inch plugs in various colors he landed one large brown around 16-18 inches...i took over the oars and bill fished a smaller size green thing and a shad imitation he tied....so only 2 fish caught in 3 and a half hours....it was a pleasant day on the river a little chilly but stayed warm except for feet they got a little cold.... saw i guy wading up at the dam and one other boat came up river didn't ask how they were doing... saw only a half dozen fish rise.... it can only get better as winter wears on ....still getting some at cumberland moutain state park when i get a decent day to go ....think i might check the ice thickness this sunday and do a little ice fishing at the state park lol .....
dan

BlueRaiderFan
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I may give it a shot this weekend if they lay off the generation a little. Seems like they have generated so much that they fish are disturbed and won't bite. Maybe it's just the cold.

JoelO
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I might try Sunday. Saturday looks like it might be a bit brisk for my taste. :biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Might actually get to use my neoprenes :smile:

fishingman62
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
dwayne and joelo the water temp actually was not that cold the trout i caught was not ice cold to the touch......if they keep the generation that they are using now off during the day it will be fishable .....just remember when they run 2 then 1 the water drops out alot slower down river.... when we arrived at happy hollow at about 3:30 the water was still up on the ramp ... when we came by lancaster between 1:30 and 2pm the island in the middle at the end of the lancaster run was still under water....that was 2 and a
half -3hrs after the water was shut off....
dan

BlueRaiderFan
01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow, that's a long time. Hmmm...maybe I should just hit the Harpeth :confused:

fishingman62
01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
dwayne neoprens warm socks and gloves would be a very good idea ....
dan

fishingman62
01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
you can always fish below the steps dwayne... i don't think you'll have to worry about a crowd....walk down river and fish the run above the sand bar and the 1st bluff... the water should be wadeable within 45min to an hour from the time they stop generating
dan

BlueRaiderFan
01-07-2010, 09:38 PM
True...they have been sluicing a ton when not generating. I hope that's not the case. Wouldn't hurt me to try new waters though.

silvercreek
01-07-2010, 09:44 PM
From the TVA site they have only been sluicing 250cfs. Should be ok if they continue that when the generators are down.

Josh Pfeiffer
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Has anyone fished the south holston in a while, if so has it been good. Any info would be helpful.

fishingman62
01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
dwayne the 250 sluice is average for the river.... its what they sluice all summer .....you can wade from the steps all the way to the bluffs lots of area to fish and some good runs... if you have never fished i would give it a try ...within 2hrs after they shut the water off all this water is wadeable.....but like i said in the previous post give the water 45 min to an hour to start dropping off so you can get across the mouth of the little stream at the steps....when the water is down to the 3rd step you start down stream safely
dan

BlueRaiderFan
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh yeah, I've waded the Caney a ton, just didn't check the sluice rate and assumed the worst.

JoelO
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Dan, I always thought the 250 cfs was just the seepage flow and not flow coming out of the sluice. Doesn't matter either way, just curious. Btw, looks like its going to get up to a toasty 30 degrees on Sunday...that might actually feel warm compared to what we've had over the past several days. Was ice in the guides much of a problem?

fishingman62
01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
joelo.... i'm not sure if its a seapage or an actual flow... i do know the reason for the 250 during the summer is for oxegenation of the river....and you can always tell when your wadeing if the sluice is on or not by the water level if you fish the river as much as i do....at 250 you can wade anywhere below the steps.....iceing on the guides started after about the 3rd cast.....it really wasn't a problem as i am originally from erie pa and am used to iced guides in the winter.... just keep it cleared off by pinching it.... it will break real easy and won't damage your rod... i may be over there sunday .........either wadeing or in bills drift boat......if the water is off allnite and i wade i will fish happy hollow ..... if we float we will start at the dam and float to happy hollow ...... good luck
dan

silvercreek
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
According to the Corps site, they placed a special gate called an orfice gate in the dam to provide at least 250cfs of water. This will replace the natural seepage once they get the seepage plugged. Silvercreek