PDA

View Full Version : Holston question

fourx
01-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey,
Could anyone tell me if it's possible to fish through a 1hr. pulse on the Holston? I would be fishing about 2-3 mi. below the dam.
If not, is it feasible to wait the pulse out?
I've been trying like heck to get up there but they seem to have a erratic schedule on the days I can possibly fish.

Thanks in advance,
4X

Hugh Hartsell
01-14-2010, 08:50 AM
fourX,
After several years of experience on all of the tailwaters I have found that trying to get fish on the Holston river to hit when the water is rising has to be a useless excercise. Maybe it is because of the 4 generators that can come on at any time that causes them to be put down, but almost any rise of water seems to end most feeding on this river. There is also the danger factor that is involved so it is probably best to just bide your time when there is the possibility of water rising.
Hugh

waterwolf
01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
4X, we have for years caught our biggest fish when the water starts up and during the pulse. The one hour pulse seems to have little impact on their feeding and only we as anglers must adjust to continue to catch them. They do not rise much with the pulse, but will still readily eat beadheads or nymphs.

If I am floating the river I usually try and put in on a pulse and ride it all the way. The low water fishing is great as well, but from our experiences the bigger fish are caught with the pulse, and most folks aren't out because they feel that the higher water equals bad fishing. The waders go to the banks, and most floaters anchor up.

Wading is a little dicey, but is doable, and the fish do not move much from their low water holds. Just adjust your strategy to account for the higher water and hold on. Many times runs which were full of dinks, suddenly turn into runs with quality fish when the generator pulses.

MadisonBoats
01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
I would be careful trying to stay out in a pulse. That is a tricky situation. That being said; I always stay out on the Clinch when it pulses. Not on a shoal; but, I usually catch an island or bank and have lunch or coffee for about 30-40 minutes. Then I start fishing asap!

I have found that the pulse seems to bring the fishing alive!

Not sure about the Holston Pulse!

kentuckytroutbum
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree that rising water can be dangerous, especially if you're wading. But it might be a good time to fish.

I was reading Ian Rutter's book Tennessee Trout Waters and he makes an interesting point on p. 12 in that he believes rising water is a great time to fish in that the rise will dislodge insects from the bottom, and start a feeding frenzy. I don't know if this is true or not. When the water starts to rise, I'm out of there quickly.

But it might be worth checking out in the relative safety of a drift boat.

waterwolf
01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
The reason for the increase in activity is related to a fishes instincts to feed heavily when water begins to rise. They do this (supposedly since they can talk) to "feed up" in case the water is high for an extended period. I am sure some bugs get washed away, but for the most part our tailwater insects are extremely well adapted to holding on during high flows, otherwise they would not be present.

The Holston pulse is childs play, it is very small and only comes up 6" or so, little if any danger. However, always using ones head on these tailwaters is a good rule of thumb. Never box yourself in to where you can't safely get to shore while fishing. Common sense.

Maurer
01-15-2010, 04:42 AM
I agree with everyone that the fishing does perk up when the water starts rising. I look forward to 1hr pulses. The amount the water will rise is dependent on how many gens/CFS they push and how close you are to the dam. Closer and the rise will be more agressive 5 or 10 miles from
the dam and you may only slightly notice a rise

like watewolf said always use common sense and never box yourself in. I try to always know where my exits are and if the water Starts to rise I will position my self better.

Also if you are new to an area I would suggest you take extra precautions. It would proabaly be benificial for you to get out of the water the first time it starts to rise and observe what it does, what the fish do and where you should fish.

I grew up fishing on AR/MO tailwaters where there is no generation schedule so just because they had only pulsed the day before did not mean they would pulse the same today. I guess I just don't fully trust TVA and practice the same precautions as I would in AR. We are pretty fortunate that they usually stay true to the schedule

fourx
01-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone,
I definetly fish through the pulse on the Clinch.
I guess, with common sense, I'll be doing it on the Holston too.
Hey 'wolf, let's fish.

4X

waterwolf
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone,
I definetly fish through the pulse on the Clinch.
I guess, with common sense, I'll be doing it on the Holston too.
Hey 'wolf, let's fish.

4X
Definitely, but not until march, then not until June;) Turkeys and Grouse are getting my full attentuion right now.

fourx
01-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Definitely, but not until march, then not until June;) Turkeys and Grouse are getting my full attentuion right now.
You out to see how many "sky carp" are on the old pond right now.
Perhaps a bloodletting is in order.

4X

milligan trout degree
01-18-2010, 10:29 AM
The reason for the increase in activity is related to a fishes instincts to feed heavily when water begins to rise. They do this (supposedly since they can talk) to "feed up" in case the water is high for an extended period. I am sure some bugs get washed away, but for the most part our tailwater insects are extremely well adapted to holding on during high flows, otherwise they would not be present.

The Holston pulse is childs play, it is very small and only comes up 6" or so, little if any danger. However, always using ones head on these tailwaters is a good rule of thumb. Never box yourself in to where you can't safely get to shore while fishing. Common sense.

I'd be a little wary of this. The South Holston pulse is child's play, but usually when the gates open from Cherokee dam into the Holston, they mean business. They can push a ton of water into that river and you don't want to be caught out in the middle of it when they do. Just be cautious. I don't remember for sure if they have a warning bell or not, but it seems like they do not.

waterwolf
01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
The pulse IS childs play, the rest is not. Anything other then the 1 generator pulse is as dangerous as any water release in this state. I can speak from experience. Common sense goes a long way, and from my experiences on the Holston they are very reliable with their schedules. Especially the pulses.