PDA

View Full Version : My Intro

Birdman
01-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have been an avid fisherman my whole life. I have always fished the warmer water lakes and rivers in East TN for the normal fare of largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, walleye, sauger, catfish, red eye, etc. Last May, and I don't know where this came from, I had a thought. I thought to myself, why haven't I tried fishing for trout? I live reasonably close to the waters they inhabit and I should give it a try. My first trip was to a cold mountain stream, one where the water took your breath it was so cold. The air temp. was in the 80's and the water felt so refreshing. The solitude was unmatched and the scenery, breathtaking. Finally, after some time wading and probably spooking every fish around, I hooked a fish and the fight was on. What an acrobat she was, a beautiful mountain trout, my first. Her beautiful colors put me in awe. She somehow connected me to all who had ever ventured up a cold mountain stream, rod in hand. Needless to say, I too had been hooked. I had feelings about fishing I had never felt while warm water fishing. Feelings I don't think can be described, not by myself anyway. That was almost a year ago. My passion for trout fishing continues to grow as does my love for that magical place that is our Smoky Mountain stream. I have only been spinfishing for the trout, thus far. I have been given a fly rod and reel but don't know how to work it. I can only imagine I will become only more enamored with the sport when I have a fish rise to a fly that I have so meticulously tied myself. I have been a guest to this forum for some time since I began trout fishing. I have enjoyed reading and learning. There is much knowledge here and what a great way to share it. Thanks for reading.

Birdman

silvercreek
01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome Birdman, You do not say where you are in East Tennesse, but there should be some one around who can teach you the basics of using a fly rod. If not there are a ton of videos on the web that can give you an idea. When you learn to use that fly rod for trout the magic will be complete There is just somethhing about it that cannot be described. Good fishing. Silvercreek

Birdman
01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome Birdman, You do not say where you are in East Tennesse, but there should be some one around who can teach you the basics of using a fly rod. If not there are a ton of videos on the web that can give you an idea. When you learn to use that fly rod for trout the magic will be complete There is just somethhing about it that cannot be described. Good fishing. Silvercreek

Thanks. I forgot to mention I live in Rogersville. Also, I have bought two of Ian Rutter's books as well as Jim Casada's latest. I have read through Ian's and am just 40-50 pages into Jim's. I have already learned a lot through these, especially Jim's.

silvercreek
01-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Birdman, went to college with a girl from Rogersville. Went to her wedding in Rogersville, and it looked like a neat little town. Little River Outfitters teaches fly fishing. Hugh Hartsell frequents this site and teaches and guides on the Holston not far from you. He runs Smoky Mountain Guide Service out of Morristown. I'm sure others have more suggestions for professional classes. Good luck, Silvercreek

Birdman
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Birdman, went to college with a girl from Rogersville. Went to her wedding in Rogersville, and it looked like a neat little town. Little River Outfitters teaches fly fishing. Hugh Hartsell frequents this site and teaches and guides on the Holston not far from you. He runs Smoky Mountain Guide Service out of Morristown. I'm sure others have more suggestions for professional classes. Good luck, Silvercreek
Thanks for the info! I'm sure a guided trip would be just what I need to get started with the fly rod. I checked my rod and it is an 8 foot 7wt. rod. What type of water would this be good for? Rogersville is a quaint little town with a lot of history. Tennessee's oldest courthouse, first newspaper, first post office, and oldest lodge are here. Davy Crockett's granparents house is just across and down the street from me. The house I live in, circa 1900, was at one time a lodge as well. My wife is from Brentwood, TN. We are there a few times a year visiting her family. I met her at Tennessee Tech., in Cookeville. I am very remorseful that I spent almost 5 years so close to the Caney Fork to have never fished it. I'll have to make up for that lost time later as I progress.

silvercreek
01-16-2010, 06:16 PM
You'll get a lot of differing opinions, but for my taste, the 7wt is a little heavy for the mountains and even the tailwaters depending on what you are throwing. It would be good for streamers and woolly buggers, but heavy for midge and other small flies. Not that you can't make it work. You would just get a softer presentation of the fly with a lighter weight line. I think you will find it easier to learn to cast with the rod you have since you will get more feel of the line loading the rod. Again, this is just an opinion and my preferences. If you get into this sport, you'll end up thinking you need a different fly rod for ever conceivable type of water. Regards, Silvercreek

Birdman
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks again for the info Silvercreek.

Birdman
01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Is the lack of a warm welcome here due to the fact that I don't fly fish yet or is it because not many view the new members threads? I mean no disrespect. I am just wondering if I have offended some by posting here before I have fly fished for trout.

silvercreek
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
No, I don't think it is any thing personal Birdman. The fishing is slow, and I have noticed a big decrease in postings over the last few months. I think it is just a general lack of activity on the board. Can't imagine you offended anyone. They are just sulking because they can't get out and fish due to the weather and high water. Regards, Silvercreek

Hugh Hartsell
01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello Birdman,
I hope that I did not sound standoffish, but I just read this thread. I wanted to say hello to you from a nearby neighbor in Morristown. My name is Hugh Hartsell and I want to welcome you to the world of flyfishing and LRO. You are just stepping into a new world of sport fishing that will grab hold of you and it just won't let go. Don't worry, you'll enjoy every minute of it. The flyrod that you mentioned probably will fit a little better into fishing for Smallmouth and Rockfish just above and below the dam at John Sevier Steamplant. You might want to go a little lighter for trout. We all want to see you get head over heels into this sport and if I can help in some way, fell free to call me or click onto my website for a ton of information. The same goes for all the people on this board. They are very knowledgeable and they want to help in any way that they can. Let us know what some of your thoughts are about this new sport and get ready for lots of good answers.
Hugh

Rog 1
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Birdman....this is a great site and will provide a wealth of information...just wish I was in your position of being as close to the water as you...I live in Florida but learned to fish the Smokies behind my grandfather during the summers visiting family in Sevierville. I will celebrate 50 years chasing those mountain jewels this summer...it is addictive...Byron and his people at LRO are always ready to help as are most members of the board...I started fishing with an old Shakespeare wonder rod that must have been an 8wt so it can be done...read some of the older posts on this topic and you will get about as many opinions as there are members....best advice is to visit the store and cast their demos until the magic happens...good luck.

Speck Lover
01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Welcome Birdman! I too am a fairly new member, and have found this to be a fantastic group of folks here with an abundance of knowledge and willing to share it. I must caution you about one thing though. Flyfishing is ADDICTIVE, and there is no known cure! :smile:

Birdman
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
No, I don't think it is any thing personal Birdman. The fishing is slow, and I have noticed a big decrease in postings over the last few months. I think it is just a general lack of activity on the board. Can't imagine you offended anyone. They are just sulking because they can't get out and fish due to the weather and high water. Regards, Silvercreek
Oh, OK. I was afraid I had offended everyone since I am not fly fishing yet but am trying to get in to the sport. Wow! I can't believe the posts that have came since this morning. Thanks to all for the replies. I hope to one day be in a position to return the favor of passing along the fly fishing bug.

Birdman
01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Hello Birdman,
I hope that I did not sound standoffish, but I just read this thread. I wanted to say hello to you from a nearby neighbor in Morristown. My name is Hugh Hartsell and I want to welcome you to the world of flyfishing and LRO. You are just stepping into a new world of sport fishing that will grab hold of you and it just won't let go. Don't worry, you'll enjoy every minute of it. The flyrod that you mentioned probably will fit a little better into fishing for Smallmouth and Rockfish just above and below the dam at John Sevier Steamplant. You might want to go a little lighter for trout. We all want to see you get head over heels into this sport and if I can help in some way, fell free to call me or click onto my website for a ton of information. The same goes for all the people on this board. They are very knowledgeable and they want to help in any way that they can. Let us know what some of your thoughts are about this new sport and get ready for lots of good answers.
Hugh
Hugh,
Thanks for the welcome. Great idea about the water around John Sevier. That would be a good and open place for me to learn to cast and work the line. Thanks for your input.

Birdman
01-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Birdman....this is a great site and will provide a wealth of information...just wish I was in your position of being as close to the water as you...I live in Florida but learned to fish the Smokies behind my grandfather during the summers visiting family in Sevierville. I will celebrate 50 years chasing those mountain jewels this summer...it is addictive...Byron and his people at LRO are always ready to help as are most members of the board...I started fishing with an old Shakespeare wonder rod that must have been an 8wt so it can be done...read some of the older posts on this topic and you will get about as many opinions as there are members....best advice is to visit the store and cast their demos until the magic happens...good luck.
Rog 1,
Thanks! I need to get by the LRO store next time I'm down around the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area and check it out. So far my favorite fishing has been in the mountain streams after the specks.

Birdman
01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Welcome Birdman! I too am a fairly new member, and have found this to be a fantastic group of folks here with an abundance of knowledge and willing to share it. I must caution you about one thing though. Flyfishing is ADDICTIVE, and there is no known cure! :smile:
Speck Lover,
Thanks for the welcome! I'm already addicted to the pursuit of the trout. I can't imagine how it will be after I learn to fly fish for them. I'm a goner :smile:

Crockett
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Another warm welcome here Birdman from a former Rogersville native! Sorry I didn't welcome you initially I just don't normally check this section of the forum. Guess I should do that more often...

Birdman
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Another warm welcome here Birdman from a former Rogersville native! Sorry I didn't welcome you initially I just don't normally check this section of the forum. Guess I should do that more often...
Thanks for the welcome, Crockett.

nvr2L8
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Birdman,

Just caught your post - don't know how I missed it. I, too, was a spin fisher for 30+ years, all in the Smokies. I enjoyed spin fishing but when I took up fly fishing almost 3 years ago, it became an obsession. I caught lots of bows on a spinner and one big brown but never a spec - didn't even know they existed, sad to say.

Enter the world of fly fishing with extreme caution; you think catching a spec on a spinner is fun - wait till you catch one on a dry fly. The fun never ends.

Welcome to the board!

Birdman
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Birdman,

Just caught your post - don't know how I missed it. I, too, was a spin fisher for 30+ years, all in the Smokies. I enjoyed spin fishing but when I took up fly fishing almost 3 years ago, it became an obsession. I caught lots of bows on a spinner and one big brown but never a spec - didn't even know they existed, sad to say.

Enter the world of fly fishing with extreme caution; you think catching a spec on a spinner is fun - wait till you catch one on a dry fly. The fun never ends.

Welcome to the board!
Thanks for the welcome! It's only a matter of time til I get after them with the fly rod. I'm taking my first back country backpacking trip this spring and hope that one of the guys I'm going with can show me the ropes.

Jim Casada
02-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Birdman--A slightly belated welcome, not only to the forum but to the wonderful world of the long rod and whistling line.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)

Birdman
02-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Birdman--A slightly belated welcome, not only to the forum but to the wonderful world of the long rod and whistling line.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com (http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com)
Thanks for the welcome, Mr. Casada. Always enjoy your insights and knowledge on this forum and elsewhere.