PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Boating???

Flyfish Michigan
01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Guys

Seems like every year we get the trout itch way before our rivers get fishable. In years past we'd end up on the White in Arkansas, fish Wolf Creek or get our butts handed to us on the SoHo...LOL (something about the 24-28's on 7X)

One February on the way back to Michigan from the SoHo, we stopped at the Clinch and had a great time fishing below the weir. It was during no generation and we were able to wade.

We have a few shallow-draft boats including driftboats that we prefer to fish from, since we're getting a little too old to stand in waders all day.

Here's what I'm getting too...

It was quite obvious that boating directly below the weir seemed impossible during low or no generation (not to mention rude to all the wading anglers). How about below there? Seems Miller's Island is also frequented by anglers on foot. Would it be possible to launch there without creating conflict? Never having been there, is it even possible to boat the stretch from Miller's to Peach Orchard during low water periods?

Or would one be better served to launch at Peach and motor up?

Thanks in advance

Randy Ratliff
01-19-2010, 10:40 AM

MadisonBoats
01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Randy's technique is very effective, especially if you do not want to drift to the 61 Bridge. Also, it helps you to focus instead of hurrying to hit every hole you drift by...

You can launch at the Miller's Island Ramp and row up to the weir and drift back too... this is a great early morning drift.

Now, the drift from Miller's to Peach Orchard goes through the dead zone (Massengill bridge to Coal Creek). Well, that is what I call it. Hardly any fish cover or habitat compared to the rest of the river.

Another good idea is launching your boat above the weir and rowing up to the dam on generator shutdown. Not good when no generation.:biggrin:

Flyfish Michigan
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies

Are there any motor restrictions? Granted low/no generation would be ideal, but looking at the generation schedule as of late, it doesn't seem to be the norm.

MadisonBoats
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
There are no motor restrictions that I am aware of...

Jet motors work the best if you can afford them...

You will definitely need a 4+hp motor if you plan on moving upstream during any generation schedules. A good trolling motor is perfect in the other circumstances.

*Check the TWRA website for the boating items you will need so that you do not get a pricey ticket. Most of them are normal items and no brainers... Do need a whistle, a fire ext. if you have gas... as some peculiar items....

waterwolf
01-20-2010, 12:23 AM
How damage are you willing to inflict to your drift boat? Answers to that question will help me provide some advice.

Flyfish Michigan
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
How damage are you willing to inflict to your drift boat? Answers to that question will help me provide some advice.

Other than conflicts with anglers on foot that was going to be my next question...LOL

Been stuck on the Norfork when they shut 'er down. What a drag (literally)

Primarily looking for sections with manoverable water during no generation (just in case). Sounds like the shoal above and then below PO for reasonable boating.

Thanks for the "heads-up" Madison Boats. Our boating laws are somewhat more relaxed when it comes to crafts under 16'

waterwolf
01-21-2010, 12:32 AM
The Clinch is always navigable in a drift boat, it just takes a few pieces of fiberglass each trip as souvenirs. This time of year it is hard to catch schedules which will give you good fishing from PO - 61 bridge. Millers to Peach is a good float, but you better catch the back end of the water to get through Miller's, it is ultra shallow, and almost unnavigable. Good luck.

Grannyknot
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
..........the drift from Miller's to Peach Orchard goes through the dead zone (Massengill bridge to Coal Creek)....

Shawn, I am suprised to hear you say this. I recently accessed the area below massengill bridge via my friends horse farm and caught some decent fish on streamers.

Maybe I just had good luck? I will say that there wasn't any surface activity and the river bottom was different than anywhere else I have fished on the river.

waterwolf
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Shawn, I am suprised to hear you say this. I recently accessed the area below massengill bridge via my friends horse farm and caught some decent fish on streamers.

Maybe I just had good luck? I will say that there wasn't any surface activity and the river bottom was different than anywhere else I have fished on the river.
There is some great fishing in that stretch, it is slow, but if you fish it right it is usually pretty good.

GrouseMan77
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I have caught some nice fish in that stretch while floating. Far from a dead zone.

Flyfish Michigan
01-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback

Man, your flows are getting uglier by the minute. :eek: