PDA

View Full Version : flies for spring

jross
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
This year I would like to tie up a bunch of flies and use them on Spring Break. If I were to focus on a couple of patterns to tie.....what would you tie? I need flies for a week in March and maybe a summer vacation. Can someon also help me with the ingredients lists.
I'm thinking a couple dry patterns, nymphs, and wets.

BlueRaiderFan
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I have come to love the zebra midge for the park and tailwaters. I tie mostly black. I also like the neversink. I tie it in orange, yellow and green foam. I have been thinking of stocking up on Stimies and Adam's for dries too and I also tie a few BHPTN for the park in addition to the midges. Oops sorry, I see I already replied to this in another folder.

Grannyknot
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I do well in the spring with attractor pattern dries (I prefer yellow stimulators), small stonefly nymphs, & Isonychia nymphs.

jross
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
that's alright blueraiderfan, I reworded my question and posted it here! It seems more people read this folder....and i wanted a few more replies!:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Did you get a chance to look at Hugh Hartsell's hatch charts?

jross
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
yes I did. I spent awhile today reading. I'm in an area with very little fly tying supplies available. And on his site he had flies, flies and more flies! There were way more patterns than I could ever hope to learn or buy stuff for. I was hoping for a "basics" list for the beginner fly tier.

BlueRaiderFan
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Ahhhhh....Well I think the Adams and Neversinks are easy dries. You may want to skip the Stimi's for now. The Zebra MIdge is super easy and a great dropper. The BHPTN isn't too bad. BWO's aren't too bad. Lt. Cahill's are ok. Most emerger patterns are easy. The isonychia nymph that Mr. Hartsell ties is a doozy, so skip that for a bit. You should buy some 1/2 saddles in Grizzly, Brown, Dunn and Black. Some tungsten (or similar colored) bead heads for size 16,18, and 20 and the same size nymph hooks. Some dry hooks in 12,14, and 16. 6/0 and 8/0 thread in black, green, yellow, red, brown, and orange. Some peacock hurl and some Zap a Gap (skip the head cement and use the zap a gap). That should get you started good. LRO has free shipping BTW, so call them and put in an order, or just use their online catalog. Tight Lines.

Dwayne

BlueRaiderFan
01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh and some assorted dubbing. Looking back on the title, the BWO's and Lt Cahill's would not do well in the Spring. Stick with the others.

bones
01-21-2010, 08:26 AM
BWOs #16-#18, Quill Gordon #12, Para Adams#12-#16, yella stimi #12-#14, Thunderhead #14, Royal Wulff #14.

Olive GRHE #12-#16, Prince #12-#14.

jross
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Ah-ha, that's what I'm looking for!! yes, I can use this. I tied up a couple flies last night mostly because my 5yo wanted me to. For awhile I just sat there wondering what I was missing and what I should tie....so now I can make a shopping list and have some direction!

BlueRaiderFan
01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Bones, I forgot about the smaller BWO's in size 18.

Mac
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Jross,

I liked the sound of all the flies that BlueraiderFan has mentioned, I am also in need of those exact flies for my 2010 Trips. ;)

If you have a few extra dozen or half dozen I would be glad to try them out for you. :biggrin:

JSWITOW is sending me a map of all his honey holes in snowbird and said "its in the mail", I am sure you could send them with johns shipment. :eek:

jross
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Bones, what is GRHE... I'm guessing the last part is Hare's ear...but GR?

So which is better prince or bhpt?

hillbillydave
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
This year I would like to tie up a bunch of flies and use them on Spring Break. If I were to focus on a couple of patterns to tie.....what would you tie? I need flies for a week in March and maybe a summer vacation. Can someon also help me with the ingredients lists.
I'm thinking a couple dry patterns, nymphs, and wets.

I do real well with elk hair caddis drys #14,#16,#18 in black,orange ,neon green. As for nymphs tellico's , wooly buggers , pheasant tails and hairs ear in #12 - #18

bones
01-23-2010, 07:36 AM
GRHE = Gold Ribbed Hares Ear. I prefer the prince, because that is what I have confidence in. On cold early spring days a #10-#12 PT dropped off a Quill Gordon wet is killer though. And I forgot to mention always, always, always have some EHC caddis in #14-#18. Color doesn't seem to matter as much until at least May IMO.

Rog 1
01-24-2010, 03:11 PM
When there used to be a closed season...opened on April 15....I used to fish exclusively with Ginger Quill dry fly....only because I knew no better...and my eyes were still good enough to see them....caught plenty of fish....first nymphs I ever fished in the park were a prince nymph and a zug bug

flybum62
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I like to fish yellow stimulators, parachute adams, wulffs, caddis and sulphers in summer as well as ants, and beetles. I throw prince, hares ear and stick bait nymphs.

bugg
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Palmers. Orange and yellow, size 14 or 16 will do just fine. I never fish a Smoky Mtn. stream without several in my vest. Green and grey will work quite often as well.

David Knapp
01-25-2010, 12:02 AM
For early spring, most hatches are going to be dark...Parachute Adams from #10-#20 should work for just about any rising fish and you can't go wrong with Pheasant Tail nymphs from #12-#22...