PDA

View Full Version : Stocking

TallyBlitz
01-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Does any one know what days the streams in Gburg/cherokee are stocked?

Have not been back since this time last year and looking forward to it, bringing my oldest son this trip (he is 23) and wanting to put him in some cold water lol,
Plus any suggestion on where to take him and what to throw in this cold weather, we will be wading ,

Thanks for any suggestion.

Sherm

tjw37909
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Cherokee stocks weekly, but is closed in February while they stock up for season opening in March. I work in Gatlinburg and they have not been stocking well at all. I drove down to the trout farm the other night at work, and they have drainedhaf of the runs in there. Some say it is because of the delayed harvest, but the "budget" is so messed up that they are cutting everything in the city. Cherokee is fun and very well stocked.

MikeRob
02-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Just wanted to say about the above post that Cherokee is not closed until Feb28th-March20 something

tennswede
02-10-2010, 09:28 AM
If you are in to the "trophy section thing", it never closes. Open year round but only on the designated section where you have to have the $20 yearly on top of $7 daily.

nocona
02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Gatlinburg is supposed to stock every thursday, but it's not good fishing at all.

Bran
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
TJW37909,

Has Gburg really gone down hill on the stocking that much? You would think they would have a tremendous budget, what has happened?

tjw37909
02-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Bran, I work for the city there and shouldn't talk negatively of it, but the "budget" is so bad that they have really cut back on the stocking. On the other hand, we have some really nice new Christmas lights every year haha.

Bran
02-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Gotcha, I know that the same lady has been the city manager for quite awhile so I figured since management hadn't changed the stocking would be the same as always. The license sales ought to support the stocking but I guess that's a perfect world. I did catch a limit there one day this past year but they were mostly on the small side for stockers. My wife really loves to fish there every year and looks forward to it.

Flyfishjeep
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't fish much in the Downtown GB area but I can imagine there are a lot of onlookers and rock throwers that will probably keep me in other places. Not everyone is annoying that hangs around, but usually there is one bad apple in the crowd.
Or there can be tourists out on the rocks before you get there and if they were messing around it may put the trout down for a while.

Thank God there are thousands of miles of stream so close to there. Try the Greenbriar area if you don't want to go too far up in the woods.

tjw37909
02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I fish Greenbrier a lot. I haven't caught anything big up there, but there are some pretty fish. I did well this past year when I fished Roaring Fork in Gatlinburg, but one net full of fish looks like a lot more in a stream 8ft wide than in downtown where its 40 ft wide.

Rog 1
02-12-2010, 01:13 PM
There are still some fairly large rainbows up Greenbrier...just when you think everything has downsized it will fool you...a while back my buddy hollered at me with a fat 12" bow on the line only to have me top him a short while later with a nice 13" bow....these were fall fish both taken on dries....cannot get any better than this

Bran
02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice!!! That is the beauty of fishing the wild fish, you just never know. I have never caught a "bigun" like that in the park but it's coming!!

TightLines
02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I found a few links last night that might help you. I was looking for the same info. The first is a stocking location areas map. The map has number on it. Pick the one for the area you are wanting. It will open a PDF file and show the locations on each stream where the stock. I will tell you that 27 on this map is for Little River, 28 is the Middle Prong Pigeon River above highway 321 right at Greenbrier, and 12 is Cosby Creek starting where it goes into the park.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/Region4_Trout.html

This one is a location and date chart of the streams being stocked. It also is a PDF file.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/StreamRiver/stockedtrout/sched10.pdf