PDA

View Full Version : possibly no longer able to wade

2weightfavorite
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
So I have been very interested in the talk that TVA has been doing lately about raising the water levels in the reseviors to about 5 feet higher than the normal summer levels.
Now they say the reason is os they can use more hydro electric production and rely less on coal. However, this also means they want to run water almost constantly through the turbines.
Heres where it gets interesting...What happens to us wade fishermen on say the clinch...?? If they are going to generate electric ALL the time, will we have to break down and by boats if we want to keep fishing our favorite waters? Tell me what you all think.

Tippet
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I can't imagine they would be able to keep Norris Lake at the level needed to do this, but maybe they will. It will be interesting to see if anything happens. I also noticed Norris is currently spilling. Hopefully there will be some big trout waiting for the taking when all of this stops.

MadisonBoats
01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I believe all of this action relates to the current ineffectiveness of the four TVA Dams that have temporary barriers. I have heard that a engineering study was done on the dams after the Kingston Accident and that several failed under computer analysis. Keep in mind that this was under extreme results and stressors in the calculations.

I believe Norris will go to a normal release once the lake levels and Upper Clinch Watershed has lowered its water saturation.

waterwolf
01-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Recreation tailwaters (CLinch) have a recreation release on weekends during the "season". That is in effect for a long time to come, so no worries about wading for the foreseeable future.

This doom and gloom stuff rears its head every few years, and the bottom line is, there is always going to be down time on our rivers. TVA has to fill the lakes, TVA has to manage for flood control, and TVA has to regulate the temperature of the water downstream. All 3 lead to the water on the Clinch being off.

rivergal
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I suspect all the freshwater mussels in the Clinch get tired of all that generation. It must be difficult to get a toehold in that constant current.

waterwolf
01-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I suspect all the freshwater mussels in the Clinch get tired of all that generation. It must be difficult to get a toehold in that constant current.
There is acres and acres of riverbed which does not experience the heavy current due to rocks etc, in every river in this area. The muscles have alot more problems then water generation.

MadisonBoats
01-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Recreation tailwaters (CLinch) have a recreation release on weekends during the "season". That is in effect for a long time to come, so no worries about wading for the foreseeable future.

Also, the weir dam - center island will be getting erosion improvement project this year that will require the water to be down for extended periods.

waterwolf
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Also, the weir dam - center island will be getting erosion improvement project this year that will require the water to be down for extended periods.
I hadn't heard that, where is Center Island? That is actually bad news, as too much down time could lead to sedimentation of the lower river which doomed the sulfurs several years ago. I would rather them run heavy flows then extended off periods for the health of the fishery.

2weightfavorite
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
as far as I know, and from what I have witnessed in the past, the rescreational water flow during the "season" don't mean anything to TVA. THEY control the water, and tva being what they are (however crooked or non crooked you view them) is going to do whatever they need to do to increase that already huge bottom line that they have... I guess only time will tell if they will relly raise water levels, and continually generate almost all time.

MadisonBoats
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry Waterwolf; I meant the center island dividing the two weir dams. There has been significant erosion on the island and I believe this issue was addressed by one of the Clinch TU Members to TVA. I read several articles about it being redone and one of them was in the Knoxville Sentinel. I don't think it will affect the cycling of the water. They will probably schedule the work at normal down times...

waterwolf
01-27-2010, 12:03 AM
as far as I know, and from what I have witnessed in the past, the rescreational water flow during the "season" don't mean anything to TVA. THEY control the water, and tva being what they are (however crooked or non crooked you view them) is going to do whatever they need to do to increase that already huge bottom line that they have... I guess only time will tell if they will relly raise water levels, and continually generate almost all time.

TVA has stuck to the recreation schedules on the Clinch without fail other then when we had massive amounts of rain. There is nothing more predictable with a tailwater then these schedules, period. TVA is also far from crooked.

If anything ALL of us that frequent the areas tailwaters ought to thank TVA for their efforts and the $$$$ they spend on each one to sustain the fisheries. Do you think the weir dams on the Clinch and South Holston were free? How about the hub baffles at Norris? How about the fishing accesses they construct at each river? How about the boat ramps they have built? How about the ability to see generally accurate generation schedules the day before?

Before you go throwing TVA under the bus understand what you are talking about.

Sorry Waterwolf; I meant the center island dividing the two weir dams. There has been significant erosion on the island and I believe this issue was addressed by one of the Clinch TU Members to TVA. I read several articles about it being redone and one of them was in the Knoxville Sentinel. I don't think it will affect the cycling of the water. They will probably schedule the work at normal down times...

I understand, and hope that TVA does what they need to do, to protect the resource. Given their actions in the past I am sure they will take the river ecology into much consideration prior to any projects.

MadisonBoats
01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Waterwolf, I love what TVA has given me as a fly-fisherman, boater, and that is about it.

TVA is probably one of the most corruptly managed companies ever created. I know this from marrying an insider in procurement and seeing memos, emails, etc. of how corrupt this company is...

TVA rapes the tax payers of the United States.

Don't confuse personal interests with domestic services....it clouds the mind.

GrouseMan77
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Waterwolf, I love what TVA has given me as a fly-fisherman, boater, and that is about it.

TVA is probably one of the most corruptly managed companies ever created. I know this from marrying an insider in procurement and seeing memos, emails, etc. of how corrupt this company is...

I probably wouldn't post info like this on the web.

Wrong person sees that spouse is letting someone see the info you described and you may be down to a single family income. I'm sure TVA would frown on bad publicity from within. Just sayin.

MadisonBoats
01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
GrouseMan77,
Forgot to mention she is my ex-wife!:biggrin: Heck, I am good friends with a former board member. I still have my opinions and I cannot laud some of the things that go on at TVA.

I appreciate your sentiments; however, it is time citizens speak up and voice their opinions.

waterwolf
01-28-2010, 12:18 AM

I hope you explain to your spouse why she may get canned after your post here. I received 14 phone calls regarding your comments today, from folks who are employed by TVA, including 2 who are in the inspectors division and others who are high up the totem pole. Your IP address can be traced to you and which of course reveals your name etc. Not hard to find out from that point who your spouse is.

Your "insider" info is almost impossible to believe, seeing how my father worked for TVA for 30+ years, along with many many others who I know like surrogate fathers, and current friends who are also employed by TVA. As much bureaucratic BS as there is with TVA, the crookedness is to be disputed. I hope for your families sake, that she has concrete evidence, as slandering an organization can result in serious consequences.

We are blessed to have TVA as our utility bills, although high, are much lower then most other areas in the country. And they actually give a rip about the rivers and lakes they manage. Tellico, being a massive exception, of course.
I probably wouldn't post info like this on the web.

Wrong person sees that spouse is letting someone see the info you described and you may be down to a single family income. I'm sure TVA would frown on bad publicity from within. Just sayin.

The conversations I had today would back up your thoughts. Frowned upon is an understatement.

MadisonBoats
01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Your IP address can be traced to you and which of course reveals your name etc. Not hard to find out from that point who your spouse is.

As much bureaucratic BS as there is with TVA, the crookedness is to be disputed. I hope for your families sake, that she has concrete evidence, as slandering an organization can result in serious consequences.

Waterwolf, I can appreciate your response to my post and I respect you taking the time to explain your thoughts. My name is in my signature and my email address; most regular posters on this forum know me and my forum personality. I hold myself to a high degree of integrity and I am open and honest with everyone I meet. If someone wants to contact me or discuss my opinions; all they have to do is send me a message on this website or use my email. I have tried to PM you before and you never responded.

I must concede to you on one aspect. Yes, TVA is extremely bureaucratic - but, most organizations are in the world today. The crookedness can be disputed. I would use the words of abuse and misappropriations. Also, I believe the organizational behaviour in TVA needs a wake up call.

The fact you had 14 calls from TVA Employees, 2 of them inspectors only illustrates that some of them have lost their focus. They should not be worried about what some guy posts on an internet forum. That is just a matter of opinion and everyone has one. What they should be focused on is doing their job and not taking away from it by making calls during work hours and discussing an internet post. Typical TVA; worry how you look and not what you do!

Tippet
01-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Do you know why TVA employees don't stair out the window in the morning?..... Because they won't have anything to do in the afternoon. :) Sorry, I couldn't help saying that, because growing up in Norris knowing many TVA employees current and past, we had plenty of jokes for them. I am very appreciative of the TVA, Senator Norris and the TVA is why we had a great town to grow up in. Every business has crooked people in it, but I'll take it with all TVA has given us.

waterwolf
01-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Do you know why TVA employees don't stair out the window in the morning?..... Because they won't have anything to do in the afternoon. :) Sorry, I couldn't help saying that, because growing up in Norris knowing many TVA employees current and past, we had plenty of jokes for them. I am very appreciative of the TVA, Senator Norris and the TVA is why we had a great town to grow up in. Every business has crooked people in it, but I'll take it with all TVA has given us.
I agree, maybe it is the fact I grew up in Norris, in a house that was built for the dam construction, and with a parent who worked for TVA which is why I see TVA a little different. Besides, I remember the Clinch pre weir and hub baffles, which were expensive undertakings, and know how much better the fishing is now.

I have also had the pleasure of working with TVA fishery guys on numerous projects, and know first hand how much better educated they are about our resources then the hacks with TWRA. If it were up to the TVA guys our rivers would managed completely different, and much better off. They are also more personable and less arrogant as well.

MadisonBoats
01-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Tippet,
That is funny!

I grew up about a mile from Norris Dam and I consider it my favorite place on Earth! I love what the TVA Program has done for East Tennessee. I reap many of the benefits from TVA's Programs and Initiatives.

Waterwolf,
I agree with with appreciating the TVA Fishery Group! They are driven to make a better habitat for the fisheries they are involved with...

*The big issue with TVA is the organizational behavior. I believe it relates to old management and the good ole boy system. I speak up to voice my opinion and in hopes that it may help TVA become a better company throughout!

Grannyknot
01-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I thought we had all agreed that it was best not to speak negatively on the internet about those that manage our fisheries and waters.

My fathers days with TVA fisheries were some of the best days of his life. Riding around in a jon boat doing population studies with his best friend Craig all day every day was a dream job for him. If it weren't for TVA, I wouldn't have had the chance to grow up in Norris or probably even East TN for that matter. To that I say thanks.

GrouseMan77
01-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Grannyknot must be as "snowed in" as I am. I am fishing the Clinch as I type....a little bourbon can go a long way.

Granny, bring me a cup of joe and a watermelon scud.

Grannyknot
01-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Grannyknot must be as "snowed in" as I am. I am fishing the Clinch as I type....a little bourbon can go a long way.

Granny, bring me a cup of joe and a watermelon scud.

Been workin on some Avery Brown Ales tonight. I'm about out though. Get in your truck and bring me some of that makers and a rick of seasoned wood.

If the power lines have ice on them in the morning and I loose electricity, i'll be forced to try and burn some maple thats only been on the ground for 2 months.:mad:

I'm not a fan of scuds, but you can have one of these beadhead wood pecker tails.

GrouseMan77
01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Seriously... this frickin water is cold. I will gladly bring you Makers and wood in the morning. Bring me some yellow jackets and three chili dogs (atw) and it will be on son!

GrouseMan77
01-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Got one on...has to be 22+! - sent from my Blackberry.

Grannyknot
01-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Seriously... this frickin water is cold. I will gladly bring you Makers and wood in the morning. Bring me some yellow jackets and three chili dogs (atw) and it will be on son!

Git N' Go deli is closed.
Yellow Jackets + Makers = brain bubbles

Good lord we've derailed this thread.

GrouseMan77
01-30-2010, 12:46 AM
The wife says I need to log off. - Not sent from my Blackberry.

Grannyknot
01-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm serious...bring me some firewood...I know your old man has a stack big enough to heat the entire county.

I'm burning through this old poplar like its balsa wood.

GrouseMan77
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
The old man doesn't burn wood anymore. He is strictly a gas man.