PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Nashville

lexfly
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Going to Nashville March 11th thru 14th to the SEC tourney to hopefully watch the Cats bring home another trophy. Some of us generally get away for a day to fish. Looking for recommendations on wading for trout or smallmouth in the area. I heard there is a tailwater that you can access from an I 40 rest area nearby, but that is about all. Any advice is much appreciated.
Tye

fishingman62
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
the caney fork is the river where you access it from the rest area.... but if you go on up the center hill dam exit just east of the rest area and head towards the dam you have 2 options depending on generation...happy hollow access good fishing up or down the river...if the water is still up or coming up head up towards the dam... after they stop generating it takes about 5 hours for the water to fall out here... to get to the dam access take the 1st rt after the little fly shop before you get to the dam.... there is a large parking area and you can then access the river at the dam or follow the nature trail down to the steps...from there the river will be wadeable about an hour after they stop generating.... make sure you check generation times ... good luck

highpockets
01-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Thre are some easy to get to spots on the Harpeth as well; no trout but plentiful smallies and Redeye!

silvercreek
01-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Highpockets, they stock parts of the Harpeth from December until March. Regards, Silvercreek

Middle TN Lee
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
The Caney Fork is one of the better tailwaters in the state, and you can hit some of the main access points off exit 268 (I40). Just take a right off the exit and go over the railroad tracks and there will be a gravel parking lot on your right. This is the Happy Hollow Access point and is probably the most popular area. If you want to head to the Dam just keep going past this access point and follow the signs.

Just make sure to keep an eye on generation schedules... here is the link:

http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/

-Just look under Center Hill Lake.

-Lee

Middle TN Lee
01-27-2010, 11:34 AM
O wait...your a Kentucky fan? :rolleyes: It's actually exit 320 off I-40.

Yes, I'm a Memphis Tiger fan and still bitter ha.

silvercreek
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Here is a link showing maps of stocking locations in mid Tenn. You should be able to click on the number to get a map of each location.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutmap/gis_r2_trout.html

lexfly
01-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the great information. We have been going to the SEC tourney for several years and I've gotten to fish in some nice places (Chattahoochee, Tampa Bay) the last 2 years as the basketball wasn't worth watching. I'm leaning toward Caney Fork, but the earlier post on the Harpeth has me curious. I'm hoping for a first round bye so I can fish all day Thursday. Sorry about taking your coach Middle Tn Lee. I would be bitter too. He seems to be quite a guy and knows a little about basketball too. I think Memphis wil be OK, I understand you have quite a class coming in next year. Thx again.

highpockets
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I did not know that. Awesome

flynut
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
The Caney would be my first choice, but if the generation schedule doesn't allow for wading, it won't be worth the trip. If that's the case, or if you just want to wet a line w/o taking up too much time, check out Shelby Bottoms Park. It's a city park with a little 'pond' in East Nashville that gets stocked a few times a year. I'm not sure when the last time was, but it's been cold enough that there are probably still some in there. It's not my first or even fifth choice if I want to fish, and people will look at you funny and ask if you can really catch anything with a fly, but it still feels good to get out and catch a trout that close to a big city.

lexfly
01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks flynut, I saw that on the map. What is considered too much generation for wading Caney Fork?

Grumpy
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks flynut, I saw that on the map. What is considered too much generation for wading Caney Fork?

1 generator or one sluice gate.

Grumpy

BlueRaiderFan
01-28-2010, 08:26 PM
If you take I40 West out of Nashville and take the exit to Pegram (about 5-10 miles outta downtown, give or take, never checked so...) and go to the right at the bottom of the ramp, you will cross over the Harpeth. There is a lot to the left to park when you get over the bridge. Park there and walk across the field in front of you. Walk down the trail to the lake, or wait until the thicket to your left clears and walk through the woodline to the left to get down to the river.

lexfly
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks Blue raider fan. I imagine we would have to be pretty fortunate to hit the Caney in mid March with little to no generation so we will need a back up plan. I try to fish good trout water whenever possible as most good trout water is 1 and a half hours or more away from Lexington. Do they stock trout in the section of Harpeth you mention or is it smallmouth water?

Streamhound
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
There is always Trammel Creek in Petrolium KY. Not too far from Nashville

Just an alternative

lexfly
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I am considering that and Line Fork in Simpson County. I've never fished Trammel but it sounds good from what I've read. I'm getting real anxious to get out. I don't think I can wait til March.

millerdvr
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
you should look to the Nice Mill dam(Stones River)in Smyrna(south of nashvill), it is stocked regularly and a short 1/4 mile hike downstream gets away from the people and I catch trout on just about every cast, it is plum full of bows in the 10-14" range! I can drive there catch my limit and be back at the house in less than an hour. Just remember to bring a grocery bag and fill it up with other peoples trash on the way out- that is what I do.

BlueRaiderFan
02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Blue raider fan. I imagine we would have to be pretty fortunate to hit the Caney in mid March with little to no generation so we will need a back up plan. I try to fish good trout water whenever possible as most good trout water is 1 and a half hours or more away from Lexington. Do they stock trout in the section of Harpeth you mention or is it smallmouth water?

Don't think so, but there are smallies and panfish. It is a beautiful area too.

Middle TN Lee
02-03-2010, 03:07 AM
you should look to the Nice Mill dam(Stones River)in Smyrna(south of nashvill), it is stocked regularly and a short 1/4 mile hike downstream gets away from the people and I catch trout on just about every cast, it is plum full of bows in the 10-14" range! I can drive there catch my limit and be back at the house in less than an hour. Just remember to bring a grocery bag and fill it up with other peoples trash on the way out- that is what I do.

I live about ten minutes from Nice's Mill and fish there often. You will be catching recently stocked rainbows here and plenty of them, but the stretch of water is really nice...fast runs and riffles. The only bad part is the idiots, but if you walk down you usually can have a good stretch to yourself. This location is about 20-25 minutes from Nashville just outside Murfreesboro. Just another option for you guys.

lexfly
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
It looks like I'm going to have to take the whole week off now with all the choices! This is great thanks again for all the information. I love going to places I haven't been before.

Carolina Boy
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorry I saw this post late, hey lexfly all I really have to affer is South Carolina 68- kentuck 62 :biggrin:
I think thats 3 strainght as well. Go Cocks!
Sorry man had to, I will be pulling for ya cats in the tourney, that I know we probably won't make it to.....again :rolleyes:

lexfly
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Carolina Boy,
Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy. :biggrin: I thought the Cats would lose, but I didn't expect it to be South Carolina (but I should have). It seems like someone should be able to stop Devan Downey, but no one ever does. He is fun to watch when they aren't playing UK. I hope USC does make the tourney. Their coach played High School ball here at Tates Creek HS.

Carolina Boy
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
No kidding Downey is just unreal, and we Love Darrin Horn, he is the real deal!