PDA

View Full Version : personal quirks?

Carolina Boy
01-30-2010, 01:25 AM
I sit here while tons of snow is falling outside and something that Jeffnless1 said got me thinking. There are several strange (or at least to me) things that I do when fishing and I was wondering if any of you guys have similar traits. Due to the weather and time of year It seems appropriate to start with this one, if you don't fish for let's say a month do you feel yourself getting frustrated? I mean down right ornery at times, I just can feel it starting to build up in my gut and i just know, I NEED to go. OK I am really bad about not carrying a net while fishing in the park. Tailwaters no problem always got it, and I know that the distance traveled and terrain to be covered in the park adds to this, but for me it has almost gotten to a point where it is a superstition such that i don't carry a net as to add to my chances of sticking a fish I would want to have a net for. I have actually gone back to the truck to get the net following hooking, quite early, and landing a big park fish, guess what no more fish that day. OK anyone out there been fishing and landed a really good fish, i mean a good fish, like your first park fish, or a 20 incher in the park heck 18" or maybe your first tailing redfish or bonefish a permit or tarpon, and upon release the personal trophy you had to sit down for minute, or a bit more, to truly process what the **** just happened. Ok have you ever been fishing for a while on a new piece of good water, you know you should be having more success than you have had, it's been tough you change flies a zillion times you cant cast, wade or anything, and then you hook a pig, and you fight the fish and you are super aware of what you are doing cause you know this is a good one and you have sucked all day and somehow you've been blessed, back and forth you and the fish gain and lose ground(in my case a huge brown on the Chattooga) and then a you go to net the beast, a slight turn..a pop.. and he's gone. The wave of emotion runs a gammet from pure misery to appreciation, and you don't know whether to cry or laugh, and i may have done both. It is at that point that you realize the story of the day is complete and cannot be improved upon no matter how many casts you make & thus in an instant you reel up and walk to the truck with your emotions racing in a million directions not sure what to do, say, or think. And I guess finally do you get pissed at yourself for fishing poorly. I know when i fish like crap, and i don't like it. i have very high expectations of myself when i fish (at this point it should be very clear that i am completely insane ;)) and it sticks with me, after a poor performance I am actively looking for the next option I have to go fishing to remmedy the most recent pathetic outing. And i guess finally do you ever have trouble sleeping becasue you are thinking about fishing? I have a saltwater trip in Mexico planned for May and I swear there have been several nights this past week where I laid in bed unable to sleep thinking about bones,permit,tapron,snook,jacks, I know i got to sleep it's 1am and I gotta be in the pool at 7am and work at 8am and yet I just smile cause I just don't care. Please tell me I am not alone, and if I am, well I am just fine with that!

MadisonBoats
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
C.B.,
There have been many fine fly fishing books about this issue!

nvr2L8
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
CB,

Let me say first that there is a significant gap between your fly fishing skills and mine (I don't have the high expectations that you do and have caught only one large trout, an 18 inch brown, in the park) but I understand your quirks. I, too, have lain awake at night thinking about fishing. The thought of hooking a trout sends an adrenaline rush through me that makes sleep impossible. I can see in my mind's eye the fly drifting down and I imagine different situations and how I might fish them. While laying awake thinking about a work problem bugs me to death, laying awake thinking about fishing is a whole different matter.

I don't carry a net and I've never kissed a fish but I have my share of quirks out on the stream. One thing that I struggle with almost every time I go is stopping to eat or get a drink of water. If I'm doing that then I'm not fishing and I often wait way too long and get a little wobbly and dry just because I can't make myself take 5 or 10 on a rock to get some refreshment.

One thing that I have noticed is that often times when I first hit the water, I feel like I've never done this before. I stumble, I fumble with line and fly, just generally out of sorts. After a while, though, (and it seems to happen without realizing it) it's almost like getting into a rythm where everything seems to happen without thinking. At this point, everything else in the world fades away and it's like being in a bubble that includes just me and the stream. There are times when I seem to regain consciousness and start slipping and tripping and losing flies and making goofy casts but then, before I know it, I slip back into that other place where things just seem to glide.

It's that other-worldly place that I end up in that makes fly fishing so great, where time and worries and pressures just disappear. And sometimes fish are even caught.

silvercreek
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Like you I think taking a net is the kiss of death for catching a big fish.
I still get the shakes when I first hit the stream, even for stockers.
I can take losing a big fish at the point of landing, Watching a big fish come up for a dry fly and missing the take pains my soul.
Silvercreek

Carolina Boy
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Nvr2l8, i can assure you that I will feel quite novice when the spring comes and i am back in the park for the first time. I will wade clumsy and probably ruin multiple fishy looking lies, I think that it is this aspect that is one of the best parts about our park. When you think about it the difficulty level involved with the smokys makes it unlike any area i have ever fished. I think that the amount of variables that are encountered are so vast, and that is before you even start to talk about the fish and how smart and difficult they are. Over the 8 or 9 years i have fished the park it has certainly made me a much better angler, and so many of the lessons we learn here can be taken to other regions.

Varmitcounty
01-31-2010, 09:02 AM
If my fishing day is going to be on waters that are no more than an hours drive, I will suit up and get everything ready before I leave the house so that when I get there I can just step outta the ride and start fishing. Also rest assured that if Sunrise is scheduled for 7:15...I'll be there no later than 6:30, suited up and standing in a trance...My thinking is that suit up time is missed fishing time...

flyman
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Clowns and monkeys give me the creeps:eek:

BlueRaiderFan
02-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Can't stand zombie movies...anything with scary beings/spirits etc really. Guys that fish too close. The French in general. Being at the bar after two a.m. Small dogs. Cats. Goth people. Slim shady's. Most street slang. Bait casters that just chunk bait. Arrogant people. Any religous groups that come to my house when I don't ask them. Float line with memory. Coily leader and tippet. Rhodo way over the creek. Places I can't get a clear cast. Teens that protest yet don't have mortgages, car payments or student loans. North Nashville.

MadisonBoats
02-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Can't stand zombie movies...anything with scary beings/spirits etc really. Guys that fish too close. The French in general.

Those were some good ones. I used to watch zombie movies every Saturday Night at the Clinton Hwy Drivein with my brother and dad. Zombie movies were the only movies that actually scared me. My brother and I would always ask each other how we would prepare for a zombie attack...:biggrin:

Oh the French; I just cannot stand them. Always heard that it was a great place to buy a gun; never been shot and only dropped once...:rolleyes:

rivergal
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
One of my fishing quirks is talking to a wiggly fish while trying to remove the hook.
I usually say " Hold still !"

Carolina Boy
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Well seeing as how the topic opened up a bit, I hate scary movies as well except really awful B horror films that my Dad and I have been caught watching late into the night, I detest the french paris was one of the worst places I have been to and don't get me talking about their govt and policies they should thank us that they aren't speaking german, instead we can't fly over there borders? I would have to throw "political opinions or views" that are baseless, voters who vote the way their daddy did 50 years ago just cause? Also living in an area that does not have the same reverence for our troops as my home state of South Carolina, or Tennessee.

Speck Lover
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I know that this is going to sound stupid (because it is), but when I first get to a stream or river, I feel like if my karma isn't right, I'm not going to get a bite. While this doesn't happen to me to often, it does occur. There, I said it! :biggrin:

PeteCz
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
One of my fishing quirks is talking to a wiggly fish while trying to remove the hook. I usually say " Hold still !"

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I find when I'm fishing on my own (and have no one else to talk to), I talk to the fish that I catch way too much. "hold still" and "cut that out" are usually the first two comments and then if I'm going to try and take a picture I try to smooth talk it into being calm while I retrieve the camera and a snap a shot or two.

This year, I caught a beautiful cutthroat in Colorado that inhaled a Husky xCaddis way too deep and I tried briefly to disgorge the hook before I realized that there was no way the hook was going to come out without doing more severe damage. So I clipped the tippet as close to the hook as I could. I looked at the stunned fish sitting very still in a small pool for what seemed like 10 minutes (although I'm sure it was nowhere near that long) and kept apologizing to it and telling it that it had so much to live for (in the beautiful mountain setting that it was in, and all), before it finally turned away from me and sped off to a deep crevice in the center of the stream. I think if anyone would have come up upon me during that time, and only heard me talking (since the fish was not saying anything...) they would have been convinced that I was trying to talk myself out of committing suicide...

Oh, I never take a net as well...that's asking for failure. Of course, I've never caught anything bigger than 14-16 inches and its usually in areas the size of a bathtub so its never been an issue...

Just for the record, mimes give me the creeps...

JohnH0802
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, since everyone else has led the way, here are some of my quirks.... I often lay awake at night thinking of fly fishing, with the number of times dependent proportionately to how long it has been. This sounds incredibly corny, but I actually pine for fly fishing in the mountains when it has been too long. I will sometimes stay up as long as I can the night before fishing, because I figure the later it is the quicker fishing hours will come when I wake up.

Having said that let me say a little about the French.....I cannot stand the French. The thing that drives me crazy though is how people do not seem to realize the following:

We would have never ended up back in Iraq if it were not for the French, Germans, and Russians ensuring Saddam that they would not let anything past the Security Committee, and telling him that we wouldn't do anything unilaterally. You ask how I know this, here are the facts. Saddam had played this kind of game numerous times in the past, always taking it right up to the point where action would have been taken prior to backing down. Each time he did this he got more concessions. This plan had worked for him again and again. He got wasta from the reast of the middle east, while gaining concessions with little to no risk for himself. Say what you will about him, he new how to manipulate the system and the international community and press to get what he wanted. Why did we suprise him, and we did suprise him. How else did we catch him hiding in a hole? We suprised him becasue the French, Russians, and Germans assured him that he had nothing to worry about and that they would not let anything past the security council.

Now why would the French, Germans and Russians do this? The truth is they were making money hand over fist on the oil for food program. Add this to the fact that the French lost more money than I could imagine following the first gulf war (because they were the ones selling Saddam all of the anti-air defense missiles and bomb proof bunkers and hangers). I spoke to a district attourney for a western state, and he told me flat out that there was enough information and evidence to indict more than a few of the Frech Presidents cabinet over the oil for food program, but the folks at the department of state would not allow it. His only hope was that some **** hot state district attourney would take up the cause and go after them. Well this is starting to sound like a rant so I will close.

I guess I really need to get back on a stream.

JohnH0802
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok, darn it, this is a new simptom even for me. Here in the last day or two I find myself thinking about, and worse yet practicing my casting stroke at the oddest of times. I don't even have a rod in my hand and here I am practicing my stroke and the timing of my double haul....what gives?