PDA

View Full Version : fishing food

rivergal
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I consider food more important than flies. As soon as I get to the river I am starving. Any food tastes better when eaten by a trout stream. I carry packs of Lance crackers, Moon pies, and M&Ms in my vest pockets. Snacks are
fishing gear.

bronzeback
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
You reminded me of my uncle every time he goes fishing hes always got snacks and he says you can"t go fishin without havin a picnic lol:smile:

Speck Lover
02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Lance crackers are pretty hard to beat, and I usually have a couple of packs in my vest, along with a little dried fruit. If I feel like having an upscale lunch, I bring a bologna & cheese sandwich.

Knothead
02-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Cheese sticks, peanut butter and jelly (doesn't need refrigeration), chips, granola bar, Powerade, and any good dessert in a plastic container.

MtnMike
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't like to carry a lot with me when I fish. I use to live on peanut-butter crakers for my day long excusions, they were light weight and fairly filling. A few years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease (intolerance to wheat gluten), one of my first questions was what am I going to eat when I am in the mountains for an all day trip. It took a while but I found a bar called SoyJoy, they are very light, pack easy, taste pretty good, and satisfy that need to eat when out all day. Those of you who like to pack light may want to give them a try.
Mike

Mundele
02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I like to pack Honey Buns and bacon in my buddy Adam's pack when he's not looking. Gives the bears a reason to favor him over me.

--Matt

Troutman
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I like jerky and sometimes an apple for dessert.

Crockett
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I found the honey buns are lightweight Matt and it also explains why I see a lot of bears. I just thought it was my personality though so I am a bit dissapointed. I do like seeing the bears though. I get the same excited, blessed, lucky, on top of the world feeling as when I catch a trout.

Back to food I really do like honey buns and candy bars. Love eating a sandwhich by the stream too. I am doing low carb now and that would be hard to pull off in the backcountry...

- Adam

jeffnles1
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I like to take a zip lock bag with mixed nuts, some water and maybe a couple granola bars if I'm going to be out a full day. If I plan to be out pretty far from the car (more than a mile or so), I'll take enough mixed snacks (nuts and bars) to last me a couple days and some extra water just in case I get lost or hurt.

Jeff

ps. I do like the honey buns and bologna idea for my fishing partner's back pack. It's like that old joke. I don't have to out run that tiger, all I have to do is out run you :-)

Streamhound
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I know this is not a food forum but since he is doing the low carb diet

Low carb item: take a microwave small plate or saucer spray with pam or other non stick spray. Put shredded cheddar on plate (small glob-depends on plate size). Nuke in microwave for 45-90 seconds. Let cool remove from plate and you have a cheese crisp. Yes the crumble in the zip lock bags but not much worse than saltines and they are low carb.

I take PB&J and granola bars.

:biggrin:Altho fishing on the Nantahala gave me a chance to stop for lunch and have a really good portabella mushroom sandwich at NOC...

Rog 1
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
My first excursions into the Park as a teenager were fueled by my grandmother's ham sandwiches and moon pies...vacuumed pack tuna salad makings do pretty good streamside....when I am out in the fall on my annual "buddy" trip its a zip lock back of fried chicken gizzards and a power bar or two...have been known to catch trout with a chicken leg in my mouth.

tlshealy
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Wallmart has this wonderful 'Great Value Indulgent Trail Mix', it's so good we eat it at home, I throw a bag of that and a few bottles of water in my back pack and I'm good for all day along the streams.
Tad

Bfish
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
pimento cheese sammie or peanut butter and honey

otherwise quick and fast powerbar, candybar, or granola bar

oldschool
02-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Cold Beer and Fried Chicken..... It is easy to carry in a boat, and tastes good

Rog 1
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
During the warmer months my buddy and I have been known to drop off a few adult beverages in the stream in strategic locations for the hike out...on more than one occasion we have been asked by observing backpackers if there were anymore where ours had come from.

WVBrookie
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
I usually have Lance crackers, dried fruit (pineapple is my favorite), and one of the Starkist kits (tuna, mayo, relish, & crackers). My hydration bladder is 100 oz and I also carry my Katadyn water filter...and there is usually a good microbrew in the cooler waiting for me. ;)

Chris

The Principal
02-08-2010, 02:47 PM
A Bolagna Biscuit or Sausage Biscuit wrapped in wax paper is also very tasty.

TightLines
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
What no MRE's? God how I just love my MRE's.

BlueRaiderFan
02-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Country ham and biscuit is my favorite, if I'm packing buscuits. I've found some trail mixes at Trader Joes that I've taken a shine to. Usually though, it's peanut butter and crackers and jerky. Recently bought a thermos for my coffee...loves me some coffee on the river.