PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish this weekend.

bcunnin1
02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Where is going to be the best place to wade fish this weekend? Looking to get out and throw a fly or two for a while now that hunting season has ended. Seems like the Clinch is out for wading so what is my next best option and what flies should I pack along?

Thanks,

Ben

wm1miller
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Where is going to be the best place to wade fish this weekend? Looking to get out and throw a fly or two for a while now that hunting season has ended. Seems like the Clinch is out for wading so what is my next best option and what flies should I pack along?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,
Nice Mill Dam at Smyrna is a possibility if we don't get much more rain between now and the weekend.
Midges and wooly buggers always work.
Wm

David Knapp
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Smokies but expect high water...

bcunnin1
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Smokies but expect high water...

What streams should I be looking at? Flies to bring along?

David Knapp
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Low elevation streams with browns and bring big nymphs and streamers...

bcunnin1
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Got any in mind?

waterwolf
02-05-2010, 10:01 AM
S.o.l......

BlueRaiderFan
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Got any in mind?

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/search.php?searchid=462854

MadisonBoats
02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
As Waterwolf put it; you are really SOL this weekend. I was in the mountains today and all the streams were raging. Plus, there is an enormous snowpack and more rain/snow today-wkd. Heck, it may be March for any of us see fishing in normal conditions again...:eek:

bcunnin1
02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah I think as far as trout I may be sol. Planning on taking the jon boat and running down the river to Calhoons and trying to catch some carp on flies tied to look like bread. Nothing better to do!

MadisonBoats
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Be careful bud! There is all kinds of junk out in the water.

kentuckytroutbum
02-06-2010, 12:36 PM
As Waterwolf put it; you are really SOL this weekend. I was in the mountains today and all the streams were raging. Plus, there is an enormous snowpack and more rain/snow today-wkd. Heck, it may be March for any of us see fishing in normal conditions again...:eek:

Shawn-
Usually, I am an optimist when it come to wetting a fly, but 2009 and this year have to set a record for rain, snow, and dam releases. I'm so frustrated right now, I'm about ready to go the White River in Arkansas, even if it is a 12 hour drive with the required stops.

Bill

waterwolf
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Thank God I love to grouse hunt, even though that is tiresome with the snow/rain and bitter cold we have had all freaking season. If it keeps raining there is no telling when the rivers will be fishable. Strange start to a new year for sure.

GrouseMan77
02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Waterwolf - how did you fare with the grouse?

I flew one in a blinding snow.

MadisonBoats
02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Shawn-
Usually, I am an optimist when it come to wetting a fly, but 2009 and this year have to set a record for rain, snow, and dam releases. I'm so frustrated right now, I'm about ready to go the White River in Arkansas, even if it is a 12 hour drive with the required stops.

Bill

Bill,
I am feeling you brother! I may even have to consider a trip to Patagonia to get some fishing in...:rolleyes:

Middle TN Lee
02-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Bill,
I am feeling you brother! I may even have to consider a trip to Patagonia to get some fishing in...:rolleyes:

Haha...this is EXACTLY how I am feeling at this point. Cabin fever is running at an all time high. The other day I had to bust out the fly rod in the backyard just to get some casting in.

Tiger fly
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I know what ya'll mean. I've got cabin fever soooooo bad. I'm ready to hit the streams. All work and no play makes Tiger fly a dull boy. All work and no play makes Tiger fly a dull boy....

waterwolf
02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Waterwolf - how did you fare with the grouse?

I flew one in a blinding snow.
Moved 4 on Saturday, had to drop to creek bottom level to escape the wind driven snow and fog.

Yesterday moved one poor lost woodcock, and nothing else in the frozen ice sheet that is the Cumberland Mtns.

Weather this year is wearing real thin on me.

GrouseMan77
02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Moved 4 on Saturday, had to drop to creek bottom level to escape the wind driven snow and fog.

Yesterday moved one poor lost woodcock, and nothing else in the frozen ice sheet that is the Cumberland Mtns.

Weather this year is wearing real thin on me.

The weather has been a hindrance. I don't mind losing a day now and again but several days in a row is too much.

gutshot
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey el nino might be gone by the end of the summer.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.shtml

Middle TN Lee
02-10-2010, 06:48 AM
I know what ya'll mean. I've got cabin fever soooooo bad. I'm ready to hit the streams. All work and no play makes Tiger fly a dull boy. All work and no play makes Tiger fly a dull boy....

Oh no! Quoting "The Shining" is a serious symptom of code red Cabin Fever. You need to do some fishing soon man.

rivergal
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I was checking the water in the GSMNP Tuesday, and it was clear but
too high to fish. I saw a lot of nice bucks and wild turkey in the cove.

Waterborn
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
As I understand it, when cabin fever is in overdrive it morphs into the shack nasties...which I was about terminal...so I grabbed the 8wt, made some sinking leaders w/ lead core line and swung streamers @ Metcalf on Monday...man, was that water swift and bone chilling cold. I basically stood in "safe" areas only knee deep and though nothing to hand, I managed to LDR what looked to be a respectable, better than average bow...no matter, I was cured...for the time being. It was great just to get out, feel that tug on the end of the line, and hear all that rushing water...

Middle TN Lee
02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I believe that I have also reached the "shack nasties" stage of cabin fever hah. I've decided that if the weather holds up, which according to the weatherman its suppose to :rolleyes: , that I'm going to try to get out Friday and sling some streamers before work. Maybe I'll even get lucky and hook up with a trout or two ha...either way It'll beat staying indoors another day.