PDA

View Full Version : SoHo and Watauga

Randy Ratliff
02-13-2010, 07:43 PM

speed43
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the report, maybe I'll see you Monday at the shop.

DarrinG
02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Randy,
We're getting pounded with snow over this way, every few days it seems. I've had snow in my front yard since December 18th, and only a handful of days with above freezing temps. The mountain passesd in my area have been difficult, and not too inviting to haul a boat over with the snow.
Maybe soon the weather will break and I'll run in to you over there in the near future!
Thanks for the updates!

Darrin

Randy Ratliff
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

DarrinG
02-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Randy, I've misplaced your e-mail addy since getting a new computer. I have a question for ya....could you drop me a e-mail?
Thanks!
Darrin

fourx
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I managed to make it up from Knoxville to the SoHo to fish this weekend.
Had a great time. Saturday a friend and myself probably caught close to 60 fish between us. Mostly wild bows in the 12-13" range with an occasional soho brown in the mix. Although the browns were the minority of the trout caught, as usual, they fought like nuclear powered freight trains!
On 2 casts I was fortunate to catch two 18" browns in a row and caught probably five that day around 15-16". What a day.
Fished this morning from 9:30-12:00 and caught 10-12 fish but had to head back to K-Town.
I didn't see a monster hatch of bwos but did see a sparse early afternoon hatch that lasted from about 1:30p till 2:30 with duns being actively eaten. This happened with a high sun and I would love to get back up there in some miserable weather when those little green bugs go big.
Fished the lower river and caught fish on #22 CDC bwo comparaduns, #22 parachute adams, #18 Lil' Kim, and #18 no-quill "stripper". Oh yeah, a couple on an egg.

4X

MadisonBoats
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
I fished the South Holston today and it was like fishing in a barrel. The BWO Hatch was intermittent; however, I caught most of my fish on this pattern with a dropper. First fish was an 18" Brown and I somehow hooked him in the belly. Got him back on his way quick and easy.

It was packed and the fishing was a little too tight for my taste. I actually saw fly fisherman shoulder to shoulder on the weir dam. These guys must like company; there was plenty of spots, but-they were packed in nice and tight doing overhead drop casts of about 10-15'. As-long as they were having a good time...:rolleyes: Although, there seemed to be no bad spots. My only problem was running out of BWO nymphs. The fish were tearing them apart...

fourx
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah Shawn, It was a zoo on the upper end of the river.
Surprisingly it wasn't crowded on the lower river public access areas all weekend.
There tends to be more bug action up high on the soho but the crowds are getting impossible.
Wait till our Clinch shuts off!

4X