PDA

View Full Version : watauga river advice

fishingman62
02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
i was thinking of making the drive from crossville this sunday to either the soho or watauga..... i have fished the soho below the weir dam once but have never fished the watauga.... question being..... where are the access areas that are wadeable during no generation and which areas are better fishing... how long after the generation is shut off can you start to wade the accessible areas... it's going to be about a three hour drive for me so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
thaxs dan

Hugh Hartsell
02-18-2010, 07:46 PM
There are many places to fish the Watauga right through the downtown section and all are about the same as far as productiveness goes, The water does not run down in this area for at least 2-3 hours or longer after the generators are turned off. It's less time than that up closer to the dam. The problem with fishing this river is that there is still a few inches of snow on the ground and it will be melting some each day. That will put the water temperature down in the 30's and that can be a problem with getting the fish to hit. However, the South Holston, up closer to the dam, has some good hatches coming off so there should be good fishing taking place. It still looks like winter up there and the snow was still flying this morning up that way. Good luck.
Hugh

Randy Ratliff
02-19-2010, 10:45 AM