PDA

View Full Version : A couple of reports on the Holston River

Hugh Hartsell
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I received two phone calls later this afternoon from people in the same area on the river. The first was from a former client who was sitting at the Launch Ramp, below the Dam and he wanted to know how to get to the area across from the Quarry to fish it late this afternoon. I gave him directions and he is supposed to let me know how it fished.
The second was a phone call from another fellow who had also been to the Launch Ramp this evening and he first said that they had stocked 8000 more fish today. He also said that TWRA was there and they had 5 illegals lined up for poaching and for not having any license. These people were reported several days ago to TWRA officers and I will have to say that they were on it immediately. They have written at least 6 tickets and taken a number of illegal fish. When you pass an officer, give them a big "thank you" for being very efficient on this matter. They worked from Jefferson and Grainger County. Hats off to them.

8:55PM
An update from the fellow who fished at the Quarry. He said that he only got to fish about an hour but there was a nice hatch taking place and the fish were feeding on top real heavily. He caught 8 fish. He said that a TWRA officer was standing there when he arrived at his car and he told him to let me know that he thought the problem was now taken care of.
Hugh

Rockyraccoon
02-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Thats great news Hugh.

grizzly
02-18-2010, 09:18 PM
That's great news! I plan on going Saturday a couples miles down from the dam. I would love to hear how its fishing.

grizzly
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the update. I hope I can do as well as the guy from your update. Haven't been able to get out on the water since October, the wait has been killing me. This is just my second year fly fishing and I've never been this early, hopefully I can figure it out and catch a few fish this weekend.

jamorga1
02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I am so glad to hear that people are starting to get busted for fishing illegally. i can not tell you how many times i have fished the holston and saw people keep fish out of the slot limit. I am also glad that there will be opportunities to fish this weekend at the Holston.

What flies would you use if i went tom. it looks like they might not be generating much

Hugh Hartsell
02-20-2010, 07:56 PM
A second update:
I was on the river just as the water started going down this morning and the water temps were 40 degrees. They were very slow at getting started. We took a break for lunch and passed by the launch ramp below the dam and the Game Wardens were working the area again today.
We moved downstream a short distance when we started fishing again. The water had warmed by this time to 42 degrees and the fish were starting to feed pretty well. We then moved farther down river and when we got in the river this time the fish were feeding like crazy. We caught fish until we were tired. I have all this on camera and I'll place a report on my website showing what a great day it was, in a few minutes. I hope that every one else had a great day. If you couldn't get out, enjoy the report and the pictures.
Hugh

grizzly
02-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Fished today a few miles down from the dam. Not much happening, the only fish caught were on a roostertail by my buddy and they were small stockers. I tried a striper midge, wooly bugger, and a san juan worm. Didn't see much activity going on. Any suggestions, or is it still early? A couple other fishermen were there and it looked like they weren't having much success either. It could have something to do with me not knowing what to do. It was a great day to be on the water and I got to see the resident bald eagle which is always a special treat. Anything is better than being couped up in the house like I have been for the past couple months!

ChemEAngler
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
We made it out yesterday a few miles below the dam from around noon till 4:30. We probably caught two dozen or so between the three of us. All but one were recent stockers in the 9" or so range. One fish was about 13" and shaped like a football. Midges fished on bottom and streamers on sink tip lines crawled on bottom were the ticket for us. Not very active, but if you put it on their nose they would take it.

Water temp was 45 degrees @ 3:30.

fishingman62
02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
i went to nances ferry first in the morning no one else there.....i fished a little over 2hrs and had 2 hits one broke me off and made a nice swirl but never saw the fish...next fished near the quarry found fish in 2 runs 4 bows from the first one and then i found a bucket of them and literaly had a hit or fish on every cast for an hour before the water came up.....all were rainbows and recent stocker fish....none over 9 inches.... the green thing we tie for the caney was the ticket in a size 14 and 16 the fly doubles as a soft hackle or streamer.... we will wait to go back there till these fish grow up a bit..on a side note thaxs to hugh and randy for your advice on the watauga .... when i saw the holsten generation i opted for the closer river....
dan