PDA

View Full Version : Hello folks

old east tn boy
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I wish to say hello to you all and a big thanks to LRO for providing this site. I have enjoyed reading postings here for several months now and thought it time to enter into the foray myself. Although I have fished all of my life I only recently picked up the fly rod and used it on trout in the park. Whether by expert advice from Bill at LRO as I headed out to the middle prong of Little River on an overcast day last March or whether by shear dumb luck, I caught several Rainbows that day. What a memorable day that was! Perhaps most significant was the fact that I had never wade fished before (yes, I fell, twice!), never dry fly fished before, never caught wild trout before, never fished in the park before (even though as a boy I grew up visiting the park) and I cannot remember when I have had so much fun fishing! You all know what happened after that, right? More equipment was acquired, more time was devoted to fishing, household chores were neglected, spouse made veiled threats about what the consequencies would be if I didn't stop buying new gear and stop spending so much time fishing, etc. etc. etc. But I had never caught Brookies or Browns before, heck, I had never even seen one in the flesh so there was still new territory to conquer! First, it was catch more fish, then different fish (Brookies came first, then the Browns), then bigger fish (did I mention that I live 30 minutes from the Clinch river?). How do I get cured from this horrible disease?

rivergal
02-21-2010, 07:44 AM
This disease gets worse the older you get, and the fish are getting smarter
every year.

Jim Casada
02-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Old East Tn boy--Welcome, but I've got some news for you. The delicious misery you find afflicting you does not go away. It lays hold of your soul and retains a firm grip. Fortunately, this malady we know as fly fishing is soothing, satisfying, productive of a calm mind, and even on fishless days, a pure pleasure. Jim Casada

Speck Lover
02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
You all know what happened after that, right? More equipment was acquired, more time was devoted to fishing, household chores were neglected, spouse made veiled threats about what the consequencies would be if I didn't stop buying new gear and stop spending so much time fishing, etc. etc. etc.

A man (or woman) can't have to much fishing gear. Purchasing fishing gear is part of the current Economic Stimulus Package.

There is no such thing as to much fishing. You can work yourself to death, but have you ever heard of anyone fishing theirself to death?

Veiled threats regarding fishing and fishing gear by one's spouse should not be taken seriously, unless a firearm is involved. :eek:

Welcome to the board! :biggrin:

old east tn boy
02-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Speck Lover, I may have made a serious mistake a couple of weeks ago. Took my wife to the shooting range and put a Kimber Ultra Carry 45 and a Springfield EMP 9 mm in her hand. She likes the EMP. Think I'm okay though; she doesn't know the combination to the gun safe!

old east tn boy
02-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Mr. Casada, got your book about a month. Am currently making my second read through it. Great book!

Jim Casada
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Old East Tn Boy--Thanks for your kind words, and given your roots, I would hope that the history, as well as the fishing information, has appealed to you.
Jim Casada

Birdman
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Old East TN Boy - Welcome to the forum! I too am hooked on the pursuit of these beautiful fish.

flyred06
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Welcome. Jump on in and get started. Glad to have you here.

nvr2L8
03-04-2010, 08:02 PM
OETB,

Hate to tell you but you've got the spec flu. Once bitten, you're done for. The only way to stay clean is to never start; if you've got it, there is no cure and your tolerance to going without gets less as time goes by. Sorry man, but you're now one of the Lost Boys (and Girls).

Welcome to our support group.

old east tn boy
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
You know I kinda thought those little buggers would be really tough to catch. That's why I stayed in 'bow territory for so long. So one day I decided it was time and headed on up to the Little Pigeon above the Chimney Tops trailhead and hit the water. I'll bet I hadn't gone ten feet and I caught three! Talk about relief. But you don't want to know how I finally got my first Brown.
As for being "hooked" I am in withdrawal at the moment, since not having fished since mid January. If it's pretty weather tomorrow I'm fishing somewhere!!!