PDA

View Full Version : 11 foot "switch" rods

kentuckytroutbum
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I was in my local fly shop the other day, and the owner showed me an 11 foot 5wt "switch" rod by Temple Fork. I was suprised at how light the rod was, and the flex seemed like it would fling a fly a good distance. I also noticed that Orvis now has "switch" rods in their monthly fly newsletter. It seems that these new rods should have good application on wider rivers and streams where casting distance is important.

Has anyone tried these new rods, and if so, what are your thoughts and impressions?

David Knapp
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I haven't tried these rods but have been hearing a lot about them. They are becoming quite popular on the big rivers out west such as the Colorado River at Lees Ferry. Someday I'll have to check into them a little more...

ChemEAngler
02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I have wanted to try one out for awhile, and even asked Daniel last time I was in LRO if I could cast one. Unfortunately they don't keep them in stock, but he said they could order one for me.

I think TFO actually makes a conversion kit for the TiCR X that converts it from a standard 9' 7wt to an 11.5' 7wt two handed rod. So for probably around $400 you get both rods, that is a very tempting option for me. I would use the 9' 7wt for bass fishing primarily, and then switch to the two handed rod for swinging streamers on the Clinch for big browns or stripers farther down river.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/conversion.html

flyred06
02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
ChemEangler,

First off I must compliment you on your excellent photography on your site. I love the fly photos. Second, I have some guys around here that have looked into these rods for striper fishing. They are nice but take some definate getting use to. Unless you are a spey caster. I have found that the regular 10 ft rods seem to do an excellent job when they are set up with the proper lines and so forth. Around my area these rods have been brought in and introduced but do not seem to have a very good following as of yet. But now that is just an observation and experience of an Alabama boy.

Mundele
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
My dad used to use a switch on me but it wasn't 11' long...

he made me "pick" my own and I usually deserved it.

FLYFSN
02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I just ordered a TFO 11' 6wt switch rod today. I have never cast one, but after watching You tube clips, and reading about them I feel there is an added advantage on local tailwaters. I fish the Cumberland,it is a large river.
I love swinging flies and this looks to be the perfect delivery tool.

kentuckytroutbum
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
flyfsn-

I've probably run into you at the Cumberland, and didn't know it. Can't wait for the COE to get the lake by to the 680 elevation, so we can fish again.

I was thinking that the "switch" rod would be perfect for the tailwater, you could really get some distance which would be an advantage. Also, the Holston and the SOHO would be good.

Once you get your rod, let us know what you think of it.

Bill

ChemEAngler
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
ChemEangler,

First off I must compliment you on your excellent photography on your site. I love the fly photos.

Flyred,
Thanks for the kind words. I still have a lot to learn, but enjoy photography and incorporating it into my fishing.

ChemEangler,

Second, I have some guys around here that have looked into these rods for striper fishing. They are nice but take some definate getting use to. Unless you are a spey caster. I have found that the regular 10 ft rods seem to do an excellent job when they are set up with the proper lines and so forth. Around my area these rods have been brought in and introduced but do not seem to have a very good following as of yet.

I haven't seen them with much of a following around here either, but I think the concept is pretty cool. I have been looking at a 7wt rod for bass fishing, and thought that way maybe I could get the best of both worlds. It is definitely something I would want to cast as both a traditional and a semi-spey type before purchasing. I may end up hating the casting feel of the 11' 6" two hander. I have also heard that the switch rods are useful rods since they can be used in this same multipurpose way, but that they don't really do either one really well.

Funny stuff there!

kentuckytroutbum
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Yeah, my dad, who is from E. TN., would make me go select my own "instrument of punishment" when he felt I needed it. Still remember that!
Must be an East Tennessee "Thing."

Bill

billyspey
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
before you buy a switch rod, do a search on spey pages for info. lots of info and how do you line them up. other wise you might get discouraged these are not just a longer single hand rod a 6 wt doesen't cast a single hand wf line can be 2 or more line sizes heavier.

FLYFSN
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
I got to cast my new TFO switch rod last week. The 6wt is rated for a 300-500 GR line. These rods perform best with a spey line. They are more of a mini spey rod. They can be cast using one hand, but this is somewhat cumbersome.

kentuckytroutbum
03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Yes, I saw the video also, and it looked that they would cast like a spey rod. My thought was that it would be great for steelheads, and then use it on trout or warmwater fish. For now, I think that I'll hold off on buying one until more people have actually used it, and given their feedback.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and impressions.