PDA

View Full Version : south holston in march

stevee71
02-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I am going to be in the Kingsport area in early March and was needing some info on fishing the South Holston. I need to know access points on the river and what flies I may need. Thank you in advance for the info.

silvercreek
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Stevee, I've only fished the South Holston once, and then there was so much generation we did not get to fish much, so I cannot give you much help on flies. However I'm giving you a link to TWRA region 4 which has a lot of info including maps of access point and even photos. Browse around on it an you will find some helpful stuff. Silver creek
http://twra4streams.homestead.com/

wynnsman
02-26-2010, 08:42 AM
size 22-24 zebra midges all colors, blue wings, if water is stained streamers, and some pheasant tails, split cases...Start off at the wiers then head down river to Big Springs Rd, then on to Rockhold Rd. hope this helps...

cb76
02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
If you are going to be there in March, then I would use some zebra midges anywhere from 20 to 24 and if the weather is right the blue wing olives should be hatching. There is a fly that a friend of mine got from a outdoors shop in Bristol called a quasimodo that he was killing them on. The best bet would be to stop in the fly shop that is about a quarter of a mile from the bridge over the river and check with them. They will set you up with what they are hitting on on different sections of the river. Start off at the grates at the big parking lot. Usually later in the day on the grates themselves they are always hitting those little black flies. There is a path that goes down the left side of the river that you can walk down to get to other spots on the river. Hope that this helps.