PDA

View Full Version : big brown

lauxier
02-28-2010, 08:48 PM
yesterday(feb 27) I was fishing Tremont,I was under the bridge,that crosses the stream leading to the institute.I saw a brown trout cruising,the slack current behind a rock that must have been 30 inches long,it was one of the biggest browns I've ever seen,it had it's nose in the current,I cast nymphs,then a dry,he was not interested.I wonder how many wild trophy trout these waters hold,and if they are indeed wild,and are the waters of the Smoky's getting better.

pineman19
02-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I have seen a couple of big browns on Deep Creek, didn't move until I was within 6 feet of them. They looked like footballs, very thick and fat and they had to be wild.

Neal

GrouseMan77
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I bet the park service has to close the road up to Tremont tomorrow... but not for bad weather.

flyman
03-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I bet the park service has to close the road up to Tremont tomorrow... but not for bad weather.

They might want to send someone over to direct traffic:biggrin:

pineman19
03-01-2010, 07:32 AM

No worries,

The otters will get that monster before the week is done:eek:

jeffnles1
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
No worries,

The otters will get that monster before the week is done:eek:

Or some gun toting redneck tourist will shoot it:biggrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeff

Grannyknot
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I guess the gill netters know exactly where to set up shop.

David Knapp
03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess the gill netters know exactly where to set up shop.

:frown: :frown: :frown:

rockhopper
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
The painter/panther/cougar/mountain lion has already disposed of the otter and has the massive brown hanging proudly in its lair.

We should find some gun toting redneck tourist to kill the cat and find out just how big that brown was......

GrouseMan77
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I had planned on not saying anything else about this thread. But, I started thinking about it a little more. I am not one to preach but the provided description was a little much.

Carolina Boy
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
That big brown didn't get that way by being dumb, and i bet he/she has seen a poacher or two in its time, my money is on the brownie, till the snow melts and I venture up there! Plus are poachers reading this site you think? as a result of this what do ya'll think? If i was trying to poach fish i would probably head to a rural stocked section after dark, I don't know anything about poaching I keep next to nothing i catch but that just seems logical? now where was he again? :biggrin:

GrouseMan77
03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
That big brown didn't get that way by being dumb, and i bet he/she has seen a poacher or two in its time, my money is on the brownie, till the snow melts and I venture up there! Plus are poachers reading this site you think? as a result of this what do ya'll think? If i was trying to poach fish i would probably head to a rural stocked section after dark, I don't know anything about poaching I keep next to nothing i catch but that just seems logical? now where was he again? :biggrin:

I'm not saying poachers. My point was pressure from fisher persons in general. So far this thread has been read 499 times and only nine different people have replied. That is a lot of window shopping.

Carolina Boy
03-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Ah indead, tonight is my I got off early cuz of the snow and found a few beers night, well in that case I will adjust my post and say that seeing as how 80% or so of the folks who wet a line in the park don't catch anything more lively than a dendrum, and he/she is 30 inches, which is basically the size of a naval submarine, I feel that Mr. brown is probably already got lock jaw and will live out his days unhooked.

tjw37909
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I am one of the window shoppers, but I have no intention of going up there. The big brown would die if I went...............die of laughter as it swam off laughing at me stumbling down the bank then throwing my flies in the trees before finally making a decent cast only to get hung under a rock and break off. At least that is how 2 of my last 3 fishing trips have gone.

Knothead
03-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Dang, I fished under the bridge last June and all I caught was a 10-incher! Maybe he tripled his size in 7 months? One of the guys I was with saw one about that size on up the Middle Prong. And only we know where it is! lol

JohnH0802
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Maybe this post will have all of the fisherman and women going after this monster brown, and thus freeing up all the rest of the streams in the park for me ;)

Rog 1
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Browns are funny....catch a lot of them in the 8-12" range during most times of the day...then once they get above this size they seem to disappear or become more selective....think this is when they start eating more protein and looking for bigger lairs...largest brown I have caught on a dry fly was a 14" up above Elkmont....these big 'uns everyone sees are generally in areas that are frequented by a large number of fishermen during the course of the year so I think everyone is right that they are probably too smart for the most of us....

jross
03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
when I come down there in four weeks he better be right were you guys said! Go back there occasionally and check on her for me :)

Seriously though, Around here, I catch my biggest bass real early in the year (right after ice-off). It seems the big ones get a little easier to catch early in the year. But once the water warms up and people are more prevelant, those fish are nothing but a memory. Is that the way those browns are? you guys that catch them, do you catch them early?...or do you catch 'em when there are less folks around?

Crockett
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
There are a bunch of stockers alot bigger than that hanging around under the bridges in townsend. I spent a good bit of time Saturday watching them with an old feller who was drinking natural light and trying to catch them unsuccessfully. Given that there are a lot bigger fish for the "poachers" with much less of a drive I find it very amusing and entertaining all the concern and hand wringing over the location of this one particular fish.

Speck Lover
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I caught the big brown this morning on a #22 Griffith's Gnat and have moved him to an secret location unharmed. I am seeking $500.00 in ransom for the big brown's whereabouts. I will accept Cash, Check, MasterCard, VISA, or Prepaid Phone Cards. If I don't hear anything within 48 hours, he will be sleeping with the fishes.

silvercreek
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
He already sleeps with the fishes. Maybe he will sleeping with the grease? Silvercreek

Knothead
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I venture to say that the bigger browns become nocturnal in their habits. Sports Afield, about 50 years ago, had an article about fishing for big browns at night with large floating flies as a mouse. Always wanted to try that on the Hiwassee when the generators were off and fishing the deeper runs.

Carlito
03-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I venture to say that the bigger browns become nocturnal in their habits. Sports Afield, about 50 years ago, had an article about fishing for big browns at night with large floating flies as a mouse. Always wanted to try that on the Hiwassee when the generators were off and fishing the deeper runs.

I have a couple mouse imitation flies that my parents brought me from a trip to Alaska. I've never tried fishing one, but I've also heard that a big trout will take interest in a mouse imitation. I'd love to give it a shot on a warm summer night :smile:

Carolina Boy
03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
To asnwer your question jross, most of the science behind brown trout and their nocturnal ways is centered around their eyesight and how it is much better in darker conditions than bows and brookies. I have zero support to back this up but I have several theories, one. browns are ambush predators who tend to stay hiddin, where? in the shadows waiting for their prey so it would make sence that they can see better than what they are gonna crush which brings me to my second theory, a brown trout will eat just about anything, they are the rivers version of a largemouth bass, as a result of this I wonder if in their own way they asume all other animals around them are the same way, and if so that, with better eyesight, could attribute to their nocturnal ways? Sorry too much thinking, they do it at nite cause they can see it and crush it without getting drilled by a heron?