PDA

View Full Version : Harpeth

BlueRaiderFan
03-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Went to the Harpeth in Franklin with BigPopper, where the truck releases. Got skunked. That is all.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/Harpeth2.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh261/blueraiderfn/2010/Harpeth1.jpg

Birdman
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I feel for ya brother! I fished a stocker today and brought nothing to hand. I did manage to hook one and turn him sideways before he got off.

BlueRaiderFan
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
There was a nice sized one in the run in front of me that kept rising. He would rise, take a dry and flip me off with his pelvic fin.

Brook Fan
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
With the break in the weather this weekend I'm hoping to go and fish a local stream that is stocked by the TWRA until spring. I actually forgot about this resource for trout, so its ashame I'm just now trying it out. I've fly fished in the Clinch and in the smokies, but never the stockers in warmer waters in winter.

How do you select your flies for a winter warm water trout trip? Is the aquatic insect life the same in a Middle Tennessee Stream versus a East Tennessee?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, as normally when I fish these waters it's for pan fish.

BlueRaiderFan
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Brook. I haven't had much success. I have heard white, olive, chartruse, brown and black buggers and I swear I saw a march brown hatch come off. I know some of the hatches on the Caney are Midges, Dark Hendrickson, March Brown, BWO, Sulfers and also Hoppers are great in the summer. I haven't had much winter success. I did catch a bow on an Orange Neversink last february. Hope that helps. don't be afraid to try other things because they are sure stubborn in the winter. My boss swings soft hackles and buggers like a spey caster (I think that is what he was saying) in the Winter and he says he does well.

Brook Fan
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Blue Raider
I'm going to start out like I normally would. It's a shallow creek so worst case I tye on a San Juan worm and maybe find some redeyes.