PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready, Not long

Mac
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Me and my group have been preparing for some early spring fishing trips for 2010 and the rest of the fishing season.

Thought I would share some personal progress and new toys to try out this year. :rolleyes:

I have now been on the tread mill for a month and can give my Aunt her walking cane back from a long winters rest.

Decided on a new camping Hennessy Hammock instead of a new tent. Cant wait to give it a try this year.

Also going to try out a new Xmas present Titanium cook cup and William Joseph fly fishing Day pack.

New toys and destinations for 2010, cannt wait.

Anyone else getting it together. :biggrin:

Crockett
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I am ready too Mac. I got a new REI Flash 65 pack this year that is a heck of a lot lighter than my old Gregory. Will be trying it out a week from Friday on the LR trail ;). I also built a lightweight rod tube out of one of those flourescent light bulb protectors you can get at Lowes. I am so happy with it pretty sturdy and weighs nothing! Can't wait to try it out attached to my pack. Man I can't wait to see GREEN again in the mountains geez...

Mundele
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Me too! Hey be careful with that Hennessy Hammock. You'll freeze your rear end off if you're not careful.

Rog 1
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Nothing quite as adventuresome here...will be up there the end of March and wife has said no camping unless it is in a cabin...beggars cannot be picky...just got several dozen new flies and since I have made a resolution to try and fish more nymphs this year most of these are wet flies...also have a new jacket and an Orvis chest pack for the longer walkins...let us know how all the new "stuff" works out...

Carlito
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Mac, you are gonna dig that hammock! Mundele is right about freezing your buns off in the hammock if you aren't prepared. I've been a raving fan of Hennessey hammocks for years, and I can offer lots of advice from personal experience. For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.

I scored a new fishing shirt the other day. Ice Breakers merino wool, camo pattern. Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!

Speck Lover
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey be careful with that Hennessy Hammock. You'll freeze your rear end off if you're not careful.
I can attest to that. I bought two Hennessy Hammock's last winter, one for my daughter and one for myself. Last July we went on an overnight backpacking trip on the AT, setting up camp just outside the Grayson Highlands State Park boundary in Virginia. The temperature dropped down to 40 degrees with a light wind the night we camped, and although we were both sleeping in Mountain Hardwear 20 degree synthetic sleeping bags, we were both miserable all night from the cold air passing below our hammock's. We had to get up and set by the fire to get warm. They are an extremely comfortable sleeping system, but like all gear, they have their limitations. I understand that Hennessy makes some type of reflector that aids in keeping the hammock warmer, although I don't know anything about them.

Mac, I'm in no way throwing off on your Hennessy Hammock. I just don't want to see you get in a jam if the temperature drops on you while out in the backcountry. To me, there is nothing more miserable in the backcountry than trying to sleep while being cold. On second thought, being cold and wet ranks pretty high on the list. :mad:

Speck Lover
03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.

Carlito,

What is the secret to staying warm in the hammock?

Grannyknot
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.

I can verify this...I was there.
Goshen Prong trip mid-Jan.

Speck Lover
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I can verify this...I was there.
Goshen Prong trip mid-Jan.

Grannyknot,

I'm not doubting it, I'm just interested in learning what I was doing wrong. :smile:

GrouseMan77
03-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I scored a new fishing shirt the other day. Ice Breakers merino wool, camo pattern. Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!

Carlito, where did you score that shirt? I looked at their website but didn't see it. If you tell me, and if I get one, I promise not to wear it when we fish together. I have been buying the green Smartwool for a few years and have been thinking about camoing it up myself.

Mac
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I forgot one that you reminded me, Cant believe I forgot this new one. One new Under Armour Camo long sleave synthic shirt.

Everyone needs some new Camo for 2010.

I am sure I will have fun figuring out all the new gear. :rolleyes:

Anyone else get something new for this season.

P.S
My favority quote of the Month:

"Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!":biggrin:

Birdman
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
If you have to have it for backcountry camping/fishing, I have recently bought it. I had almost nothing and now I think I have what I need to make it work. Too long of a list to post. I'm taking my first backcountry trip in April. I can't wait! :biggrin:

bias5246
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
I too am excited for spring. I've been trying my hand at tying my own flies. I've gotten fairly decent. I just got my new reel in--Orvis Battenkill 3/4 and some new Orvis waders and boots. I fell in while fishing the Chimney Tops this November!! It was freezing. But since I try to be tough, I just changed clothes and went right back out. I didn't have felt on, so felt-bottomed wading shoes should be a worthy investment.

flyred06
03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I got a new Sage rod and new Dan Bailey waders along with learning to tie up alot of different trout flies. So I got 2 system x boxes and filled them up with my new learned skills. I cannot wait to try and use all these new tools. I hear rumor of a z axis coming my way around spring but thats just a rumor for now.

speed43
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I broke down and finally got a Western Mountaineering down bag and I can't wait to try it out on Hazel Creek this spring....

Knothead
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
The best way to keep warm in a hammock is to roll it up and put it in the corner of the motel room. I am looking forward to getting in the park and trying to outwit some trout. Usually, the trout win.

Carlito
03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Elkins, I snagged the Ice Breakers camo super closeout on this website called Gilt. It is a member's only site, and for the most part they sell a bunch of designer metro crap. Sometimes they have really steep discounts on outdoor gear though. I'll send you an invite to join, but the Ice Breakers sale is finito.

Regarding the Hennessey in cold weather, there are a few essentials:

- I highly recommend the "undercover" system that Hennessey sells. It comes w/ a foam pad for extra insulation and makes a huge difference.
- Line the very outer layer with a space/emergency blanket (i.e. under the foam pad).
- Layer extra clothes on top of the foam pad (down jacket, fleece, whatever you have). Sometimes instead of putting the extra clothes in with the foam pad I'll just scatter them around me inside the hammock.
- On super cold nights, boil some water and fill a Nalgene bottle and stuff that down in the bottom on your sleeping bag to keep your feet warm (screw the lid good and tight!).
- I feel like it makes a big difference if your hammock is nice and tight instead of sagging (when it is sagging, all the insulation tends to migrate to the center, leaving cold spots at the head/foot areas, and your body doesn't circulate as much blood to your feet).

Speck Lover, that night that you and your daughter got too cold would have been a lot more pleasant with just the undercover system. I can sleep comfortably in my hammock with just the undercover and no pad down into the upper 40s (I have a 19 degree Western Mountaineering down bag). You get down into the lower 40s and you need the undercover + the pad. I hope that helps!

Also, since I'm on a Hennessey roll here, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the snake skins as well. They just make life with the hammock a lot easier (storage & setup). On another trip w/ Grannyknot (the Citico Creek Death March Trail, Bee City campsite), it started dumping rain on us, and I was able to tie up my hammock with the snake skins covering the hammock and string up my rain fly for a quick 2 or 3 man shelter. The Hennessey is an awesome shelter, but I have to admit that I have a tent that I often carry as well =)

Mac
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Carlito,

For Xmas I got the Deep Jungle. It has a different kind of reflective bubble pad i think. I have not every used it before but am looking forward to giving it a try.

Have you heard anything about this module. Dont expect to be in anything below mid 40's.

I to have a four season tent for the really cold day. :rolleyes:

Carlito
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Carlito,

For Xmas I got the Deep Jungle. It has a different kind of reflective bubble pad i think. I have not every used it before but am looking forward to giving it a try.

Have you heard anything about this module. Dont expect to be in anything below mid 40's.

I to have a four season tent for the really cold day. :rolleyes:

Dude, I am jealous! I bet that thing will be great. The undercover system can be a little finicky sometimes, and that looks like a great improvement. I was just discussing that new system on Sunday w/ my buddy Brian who introduced me to the Hennessey :smile:

BlueRaiderFan
03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I too am excited for spring. I've been trying my hand at tying my own flies. I've gotten fairly decent. I just got my new reel in--Orvis Battenkill 3/4 and some new Orvis waders and boots. I fell in while fishing the Chimney Tops this November!! It was freezing. But since I try to be tough, I just changed clothes and went right back out. I didn't have felt on, so felt-bottomed wading shoes should be a worthy investment.

I would buy the rubber sole boots and skip the felt. I have a hunch the Park will be outlawing the felt sole sometime in the near future.

Wilson10
03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!

Haha... Nice!:biggrin:

Speck Lover
03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Speck Lover, that night that you and your daughter got too cold would have been a lot more pleasant with just the undercover system. I can sleep comfortably in my hammock with just the undercover and no pad down into the upper 40s (I have a 19 degree Western Mountaineering down bag). You get down into the lower 40s and you need the undercover + the pad. I hope that helps!
Thanks for the information Carlito, I figured there had to be a better way. My daughter and our frozen azzes thank you too. :biggrin:

spotlight
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I can attest to that. I bought two Hennessy Hammock's last winter, one for my daughter and one for myself. Last July we went on an overnight backpacking trip on the AT, setting up camp just outside the Grayson Highlands State Park boundary in Virginia. The temperature dropped down to 40 degrees with a light wind the night we camped, and although we were both sleeping in Mountain Hardwear 20 degree synthetic sleeping bags, we were both miserable all night from the cold air passing below our hammock's. We had to get up and set by the fire to get warm. They are an extremely comfortable sleeping system, but like all gear, they have their limitations. I understand that Hennessy makes some type of reflector that aids in keeping the hammock warmer, although I don't know anything about them.

Mac, I'm in no way throwing off on your Hennessy Hammock. I just don't want to see you get in a jam if the temperature drops on you while out in the backcountry. To me, there is nothing more miserable in the backcountry than trying to sleep while being cold. On second thought, being cold and wet ranks pretty high on the list. :mad:

I use a car windshield shade cut to fit in my hammock when it's really cold works like a charm you will love the Hennessy a great hammock

Carlito
03-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I use a car windshield shade cut to fit in my hammock when it's really cold works like a charm you will love the Hennessy a great hammock

Dude, that is a freaking awesome idea!

Speck Lover
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the information spotlight, I'll give that a try.

KnoxBioBenz
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
The best way to stay warm in the hammock is to go ahead and pack along an insulated sleeping pad.
I generally fold mine in half and put it under my butt and shoulders.
It will help out quite a bit with warmth and keep the hammock a little more rigid.

doghaircaddis
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I broke down and finally got a Western Mountaineering down bag and I can't wait to try it out on Hazel Creek this spring....

Wise investment. You're in for a treat.