PDA

View Full Version : caney fork 2-28

white95v6
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
well we floated from the dam to Happy hollow. fishing was Real slow. there was 4 of us and we only caught 10 fish. i caught 8 and one other person caught 2. it took me half to trip to figure out how they wanted me to fish. but once i did i caught 6 real fast.

BlueRaiderFan
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
What ya' chargin to tell what they wanted?:biggrin:

David Knapp
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Midges were working for me...:cool:

BlueRaiderFan
03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks PA :smile:

white95v6
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
i was throwing my favorite Rapala:eek:. and my normally retrevial was not working. had to switch it up alittle bit. it was not how i thought i would have had to fish in such cold weather.

lexfly
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
white95V6, I have never fished the Caney but am heading down that way next week for the SEC tourney. It looked like they weren't generating too much today, but since i've never been there I really don't know. Is it wadeable right now?

BlueRaiderFan
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I've waded it at Lancaster when they weren't generating, but the sluice rate was 1800cfs and it's a touch scary. So, even if they aren't generating, check the sluice rate below the generation schedule.

lexfly
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
BlueRaiderFan,
How do you check the sluice rate? I checked the TVA website and see the hourly discharge rates etc. but nothing about sluice rate. Am I missing something?

BlueRaiderFan
03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Hourly discharge is basically the sluice rate. It will tell you how much they are discharging during generation and during sluicing. If they say "0 Generators" and you check the "hourly discharge" and it says say, "1800" then they are sluicing at 1800, which is barely wadable and only in certain areas. Generally, I like it to be below 1000, unless I have been in the house so long that my wife has a certain look on her face and then I go fishing and take my chances. Tight Lines.

silvercreek
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Go to the Corps of Engineers site. You can get their from the TVA site. They will say Center Hill is a Corps dam and give you a link to click. Once there in the heading you will see a "water management" section. Click on that and then Center Hill. You'll see a graph of lake levels and below that what the stages, turbines and gates are doing. They have not been letting any water through the sluice gates lately during periods of no generation. They use those gates mostly during the summer to keep the river cool when not generating and during periods when they are trying to push as much water as possible through the dam to get the lake down. Regards, Silvercreek

JoelO
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
The average hourly discharge column will show 0 with no generators if the sluice gate is not open. It will show about 1800 cfs discharge if the sluice is open and no generators are running.

Carlito
03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
unless I have been in the house so long that my wife has a certain look on her face and then I go fishing and take my chances. Tight Lines.
Not married yet, but I know that look!

silvercreek
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Just to make you completely confused, On the TVA site they do not list sluicing activity in the generation prediction, just the number of generators. To get some idea of what they may be sluicing in addition to the generators I go the Corp site, and check both the water managemnet info before I go and I look at the Center Hill site under "fishing info" to see what they say about any sluicing. Another bet is to call the folks at the dam and as them about sluicing the day you are going. Weve suggested the TVA site provide predicted sluicing, but I'm not sure anything will come of it. Silvercreek

lexfly
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the education everyone. I've looked at the site for years, but generally to look at Wolf Creek which has been impossible to wade whenever I could go over the last year so I've never had to figure anything out about sluicing. Compared to the Cumberland, how big a river is Caney Fork?
Lexfly

JoelO
03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Since I haven't been up to the Wolf Creek dam area of the Cumberland, I can't give you much of a relative comparison. With that being said, my guess is that the caney is about 20-25 yards across at its narrowest and maybe 100-125 yards across at its widest after the water has dropped out...might be a little long on the wide end but the Happy Hollow access is a good ways across even with the water dropped out. Compared to mountain streams, its fairly easy to wade with generation turned off. After the water has dropped out, you can wade a decent portion of the width of the stream at most of the public access points. The access point up by the dam gives you a long stretch to wade but it generally sees the most people.

Carlito
03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
My only experience with the Caney is crossing it on I-40 on my way to and from Nashville. Seems to me it's a hair smaller than the Clinch. Is that accurate?

Rodonthefly
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
That is correct Carl..... Going towards nashville you can park at the rest area, and get in the river there. That's a pretty good spot from what I've been told ;)