PDA

View Full Version : Simms $129.00 Guide Boot?

Owl
03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Are they discontinuing these boots or are you guys just out of them? I see the shop shows "out of stock." :(

Just remembered that my last trip last fall ended with my Orvis boots blowing out the whole outer seam.

They were the best fitting pair of boots I've ever owned. Sure hope I'm not too late to get a pair somewhere.

TIA,
owl

Carlito
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
For what it's worth, I have a pair of the guide boots as well as the Patagonia River Walkers, and I gotta say I prefer the River Walkers. They are much lighter, dry quicker, and are plenty durable. Also they come in a nice sticky rubber sole instead of felt if that's what your into...

Owl
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Carlito, thanks for the heads up. I stopped buying Patagonia some time ago due to their connections with folks in the environmental movement. That said, I have no idea if they still have them or not and I can't honestly tell you which groups were involved that made my eyebrow scrunch up and my forehead wrinkle. I just remember adding them to the list of folks that I didn't want to support at the time.

I was hoping for the Simms mainly because they lasted me nearly three years, when every other boot had to be replaced yearly. Of course, that was when I actually fished alot. I could probably get by with a pair of boots from Walmart these days, but I love to support LRO. ( and I'm not looking into any of their connections( should they have any I may not agree with), because I don't want to ruin me loving them so much. They are too nice, too friendly and too rare a breed( customer service from any other shop pales in comparison to LRO) for me to let anything stop me from getting my gear there. So....., I'm going to allow myself one (possible?) break from my conscience and stick my big 'ole conservative head right in the sand on that one little thing.

Carlito
03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
To each his own! I think Patagonia is a great company with great products, and I own a ton of their stuff. I really appreciate how much recycled material goes into a lot of their clothing and the fact that they stand behind the quality of their products, but I don't follow the politics behind the scenes very closely. Perhaps if I did, my opinion would be different.

Regardless, if you really want to support our local economy, you could buy a pair of Chota boots from LRO and get double points :biggrin: Although I think most of their equipment is manufactured overseas, the headquarters is right here in Ktown.

mcfly
03-09-2010, 11:39 PM
FYI...Simms discontinued all felt soled models. Looks like a lot of the manufacturers are following their lead and converting to rubber type soles.

I bought the last pair of Simms size 13 felt soled guide boots that I could find, even though my current boots are still in good shape, for this very reason. It literally took a week and 25+ phone calls to various shops and cancelled internet orders to find a pair.

James Buice
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Don't worry, Korkers is staying off that bandwagon and will still have felt soles ;-)

Owl
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Korkers? Them's yankee boots right? :) LOL

What's the reasoning behind this change?

I've actually been away from flyfishing for almost 2 years. Do the rubber boots cause less stream damage or something - or is it an economic thing? How well do they hold compared to felt?

thanks all.

PS - Carlito, I'm aware of Chota. Thanks.

Carlito
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Owl, there is an invasive species of moss called "didymo" that is running rampant in our area and is easily transferred from one body of water to another. Felt soled boots tend to carry it better, so a lot of people are switching to rubber soled boots for conservation sake. The stuff is taking over the Clinch in a lot of areas and I have heard it is threatening to take hold in the park. It covers all the rocks in a nasty greenish/brown slime and totally wrecks the ecosystem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didymosphenia_geminata
http://www.nps.gov/ner/customcf/apps/pgallery/photo.cfm?aid=237&pid=2910&gid=237
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/dff409-biological.htm

kentuckytroutbum
03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Didymo is in the SoHo below the weir dam, and it looks like its spreading. Whether its felt or sticky rubber, you still have to thoroughly clean your boots, waders, fly line, etc. that might have picked it up. After washing, sanitize them with a mild solution of water/Clorox, and then very warm water.

One of the western states, I think it was Oregon banned the use of felt in 2011 or 2012, and that pushed Simms to come up with sticky rubber and the carbide studs to screw into the rubber.

Personally I like felt for its gripping action especially in fast moving water, I just take the extra time to clean my gear.

Bill

GrouseMan77
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I was told that it would be hard for the "rock snot" to take hold in most of the park streams due to limited amounts of sunlight.

Owl
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Ok. thanks for the explanation.

I find it hard to believe that you can stop something like that by changing one little thing. I mean, there are going to be people that go from one to the other in tennis shoes, bare feet, float tubes, dirty socks....etc. I just have my doubts that will stop it. If the rubber isn't as good as felt, it may stop my wading trout fishing....bad knees and back won't let me take falls on every trip. :(

Thanks again for the info guys. been away too long.

baldriver
03-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm using a pair of the Simms boots with the rubber soles now. I've not had any problems wading in Tellico. The edges do not hold like felt but as long as you can keep a lot of the sole on the rocks they work fine.

Carlito
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I was told that it would be hard for the "rock snot" to take hold in most of the park streams due to limited amounts of sunlight.

That's good news!

Also, the NPS flyer that they have at LRO says that you don't have to clean your gear if it has plenty of time to dry. If you fish the Clinch on Saturday and head up to the mountains on Sunday or Monday, you need to clean your gear. Don't go by that alone, but you don't HAVE to clean your gear every time.

PeteCz
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Korkers? Them's yankee boots right?

Korkers Products 1239 SE 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97214

Is Oregon considered a Yankee state?

Seriously, if you're looking for new boots, you should at least look at Korkers. I've fished over 75 days and hiked at least 150 miles in them, as well and they look almost as good as the day I bought them...
They're very versatile and lightweight.

Of course, I've always wanted a pair of Chota's, as well...