PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee 3/6/10

buzzmcmanus
03-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I fished the Hiwassee Saturday with a buddy of mine, we'll call him Mike, from about 2-6. When I got to the river the fish were taking stoneflies off the surface. I just happened to still have a black caddis fly tied on, so I dropped a pheasant tail off it. Almost immediatelly I caught a fish on the pheasant tail. The fish then started taking the caddis fly so I clipped off the dropper. After catching all the stupid ones, all I was getting was looks.

About this time, I was having such a good time fishing, I decided I should just fall in. While walking across a perfectly flat rock that was covered in greased snot, I lost my balance. Luckily, when I went down, I caught myself and didn't take any water in my waders, but my arms were soaked up to my shoulders. I hung my shirt and jacket (both polar tech material) on the bank and fished in my polypropolene top. The breeze and sunshine dried them out in no time.

When it was time to resume fishing, I tried swinging a soft hackle through the run. It produced only 1 fish. I tied on a stonefly dry that I had tied up. It's basically a caddis fly without the hackle and a short wing. I don't like to fish it, because it doesn't want to float after a few fish. It was the ticket. I started catching fish again.

I ended up with about 10 fish, 8 of them on dries. It was a good afternoon.

mstone
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Hope to see some mayflies start up on the river over the next month. Did you see any browns?

mstone

buzzmcmanus
03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
mstone, I've never had any luck catching browns on the HI. I can't even catch the dinks straight off the stocking truck.

MadisonBoats
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
..I decided I should just fall in. While walking across a perfectly flat rock that was covered in greased snot, I lost my balance...

I guess we have to start the season out somehow...? I fell in last week and it was a good one, all the way up to my neck-face first!:eek:

adirondack46r
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
So between the Clinch and the Hiwassee you had a pretty good week. How come "Mike" didn't get a picture of you on all fours in the middle of the river? A good fishing buddy has to always be ready with the camera.

Owl
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
About this time, I was having such a good time fishing, I decided I should just fall in.

Hi-larious! Well played! :p

Those Hi fish can be tough customers sometimes!

buzzmcmanus
03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
So between the Clinch and the Hiwassee you had a pretty good week. How come "Mike" didn't get a picture of you on all fours in the middle of the river? A good fishing buddy has to always be ready with the camera.
The camera was in the drink with me. It suprisingly didn't get soaked. I pulled the batteries and card, and neither were wet. I have an appointment today at 3, I'll know if it works when I go to take pictures of the office then. Mike didn't need a camera. I don't think he caught anything worth taking a picture of, if I heard him right, I think he only caught 1. I know he lurks here, so if I'm wrong, he can sign on and correct me.

I guess we have to start the season out somehow...? I fell in last week and it was a good one, all the way up to my neck-face first!:eek:
I'm glad to have gotten it out of my system so early in the year. You'd have been proud of me. I took 1 miss-step, then fought it for 10 seconds. The first few seconds, looked like I was dancing with myself, then the next few I was running in place, finally, I just accepted it and went down.

Murray trout bum
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Sounds right to me. You can bet next time I'll have a camera on hand!:biggrin: