PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Fly Report [03-08-2010]

MadisonBoats
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, I have fished the Clinch about 5 times in the last week and it is still fishing slow. The water is still quite a bit stained from the destabilization of the riverbed and shoreline. The stockers on the upper end were rising to gnats and midges. They were very picky; so, you need a some flare in your fly to urge them on...The fishing at Peach Orchard is a little more slow with fish hitting mainly on red midges.

Here are a few flies that have been working for me. Hopefully, we will get some more input from others on what is working right now...:smile:

*Red Midge is working well...
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=403
*Black Midge is working ok if you can get it right in front of the fish or you have a good pool... (Better when water clears up some more)
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=405
Griffith's Gnat is working great on upper clinch if the fish are rising. You may need to use some orange herl to stimulate them.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=401
Midge Adult has worked a few times. However, the wind has limited me using it.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=404
I love throwing orange stimulators if the fish are slow or between activity in the day. Be patient with this fly and keep working the spot. This fly will bring the size fish.....
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=402

stevee71
03-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I fished today around Millers Island and the fishing was slow. I am a newcomer to flyfishing so it is good to hear it was not just me not catching any.

adirondack46r
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Shawn,

What's your definition of slow? A couple of us fished the weir pool last Thursday afternoon and had a very good day. We (conservatively) landed 30 fish over a few hours, several nice size, one approaching 18". Mostly rainbows but also several browns and one brookie. We were probably just lucky but the number of fish taken was split pretty evenly between the two of us.

46r

MadisonBoats
03-08-2010, 06:41 PM
adirondack46r,
You have me beat.:smile: I typically think 5-10 fish per trip are slow days for me. However, I have been impatient with my fly patterns lately...

Care to share your patterns?

buzzmcmanus
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Shawn,

I was the one fishing with Ad46r on Thursday. Here's the flies I was using and having success with. I'm not sure exactly what Ad46r was using, but I think it was something similar.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/flies/DSCN8127.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u51/buzzmcmanus/flies/DSCN8126.jpg

pineman19
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Shawn,

I had a pretty good day (on my terms) today below Millers Island. Caught my best Bow ever, around 14-15", very colorful fish, dark and crimson, had been in the river for a while. Caught around 15, had plenty of strikes, really picked up around 2:00. I pretty much had that stretch of river to myself today. Caught most of my fish on a size 20 BHPT, a couple on a brassie as well. I may have to take off from work again tomorrow:biggrin:

MadisonBoats
03-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Buzz, I fish a similar pattern to those. I love biot midges, they have more of a realistic look-but, the fish tear them apart. Thanks for taking the time to share your flies... I hope we can help others improve their fishing experience too....:cool:

billj
03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I fished around Miller's Island two days, Thursday and Sunday and had what I consider really good fishing. Caught a bunch of fish each day with a couple of 17-18 inch rainbows the largest.
I caught fish on a variety of patterns, the most productive a size 22 blackfly dry that I tie. All the big rainbows were caught on midges that had some blue in them.
There was a big hatch of cream midges that the fish were really locked in on right before dark. Anyone have an answer for this hatch? I thought I had a good match with a size 30 pattern but the fish didn't agree. I think it was too big! I was able to pick up a few fish by swinging a white tailed midge but it didn't feel like I had the answer. lots of ways to catch fish out there......

waterwolf
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
We must fishing two completely different rivers....

billj
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
in a fit of open mindedness, I did float zebras under an indicator on thursday and caught fish. just wasn't workin for me on Sunday.....probably should have just gone to the pheasant tail......oh well, like i said, lots of ways to catch fish. maybe i make it harder than it has to be. Long as i'm catchin fish i'm good with it.

MadisonBoats
03-09-2010, 10:48 AM
We must fishing two completely different rivers....

I thought you would like my post that the river has been slow:biggrin:..? You fishing the other bank on the Clinch? What are you throwing?

waterwolf
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I thought you would like my post that the river has been slow:biggrin:..? You fishing the other bank on the Clinch? What are you throwing?
Flies....... ;)

fourx
03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Waterwolf doesn't fish. He just hunts. Thus his vague remark.
After getting on some private access on a certain tailrace around the Tri-Cities I don't care if I ever fish the Clinch again.
We've been on the wrong river all along!

4X

adirondack46r
03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
adirondack46r,
You have me beat.:smile: I typically think 5-10 fish per trip are slow days for me. However, I have been impatient with my fly patterns lately...

Care to share your patterns?

Shawn,

I was fishing flies pretty close to the ones buzz showed. My point fly was a ginked up size 14 adams. The droppers were zebra midges that I picked up at LRO. I am pretty darn sure they were size 22. The thing I did different was that I had a bunch of droppers tied up ahead of time with 24 inches of 6x and the loop pretied to drop off the bend of my point fly. I had 8 of them tied up because I usually tangle up my dropper and end up having to cut it off 2 or 3 times and waste valuable fishing time. Wouldn't you know I fished 3 hours straight without a tangle and without changing flies. Figures.

Anyway, like I said, I think I was lucky and hit 'em just right. That river is a funny one - can be the best of times and the worst of times...

46r

MadisonBoats
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I My point fly was a ginked up size 14 adams. The droppers were zebra midges that I picked up at LRO. I am pretty darn sure they were size 22.
The thing I did different was that I had a bunch of droppers tied up ahead of time with 24 inches of 6x and the loop pretied to drop off the bend of my point fly.
46r

adirondack46r,
I have been fishing a similar setup; just using a midge adult instead of the adams. I try to pre-tie my small flies before fishing; it helps on the cold days and it allows you to enjoy more fishing time. Glad you brought that up in hopes that it will help others too...

Thanks for the information; do your adams flies have grizzly hackle?

adirondack46r
03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the information; do your adams flies have grizzly hackle?

This one did, but I mostly fish comparadun patterns for my dries so my pseudo-adams pattern is a gray body with a deer hair wing and a trailing shuck like a sparkledun. I got hooked on flush floating mayfly patterns fishing the west branch of the delaware up in the catskills. We did well with them there and I have done well with them here. No plans to go back to traditional hackled flies.

46r

canerod
03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Adirondack 46er you did not learn to use those midge patterns in the Adirondacks. For 50 years I lived in NE NY east of Glens Falls on the Vt. line. Spent a lot of time inside the blue line.

rockcreek
03-14-2010, 12:13 PM
is any one floating the river yet?and what is a good level to float the clinch?

MadisonBoats
03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
People have been floating. Just do not plan a trip after a heavy rain for a day or so; the coal creek will stain it pretty bad. You can float it on about any level; just be mindful of the shoals if you are in the middle of a long (8-10hr) stretch of slack water.

rockcreek
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
some one sad something about recreational flow in the spring? you would have water from 10 am to 4pm or something like that i need enough water to get down in a drift boat and to have a good day of fishing!!!!!

MadisonBoats
03-14-2010, 12:57 PM
some one sad something about recreational flow in the spring? you would have water from 10 am to 4pm or something like that i need enough water to get down in a drift boat and to have a good day of fishing!!!!!

Yes, you will want to use those to maximize your fishing trip. However, I think you can get down the Clinch pretty easy-as long as you are not in the middle/ to late end of a long slack period. It will just make it hard going through the lateral shoals in the river and for a much longer day.

Here is a link to the TVA Recreational Website:
http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/schedules.htm

rockcreek
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
who runs shuttle down there? i have not fish the clinch i hate to say that i have been on the Cumberland for 30 some years and it has so good but it has slow down so much in the last 2 years Thanks for your help!!

adirondack46r
03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Adirondack 46er you did not learn to use those midge patterns in the Adirondacks. For 50 years I lived in NE NY east of Glens Falls on the Vt. line. Spent a lot of time inside the blue line.

You're right about that, canerod. I don't think I ever bought a midge pupa until I got down here. I gotta be honest, I really miss fishing the Hendrickson hatches on the West Canada, the Oatka and the Beaverkill. Then again, I don't think about it once I get up in the mountains here.