PDA

View Full Version : Otter attack!

BlueRaiderFan
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler/story.aspx?storyid=126798&catid=58

(I'm taking odds on how long it takes this thread to degenerate into an argument over otters vs fish populations).http://www.seaworld.com/assetrepo/media/images/sanantonio/media/2009%20Press%20Images/OtterKit.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
At another point, you hear the caller say, "Here it comes! Here it comes!" as the animal apparently charges the men.

I know I wouldn't be laughing if it happened to me, but this gives me a chuckle.:biggrin:

MBB
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
There certainly is a humorous aspect to the story, but the reality is any attack by a rabid animal is a very serious matter.

flyman
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Too bad some of this forum wasn't there, there wouldn't be enought of that otter left to make a decent sandwich:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
No kiddin'! :biggrin:

Rog 1
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I can remember a spring fed river that was a favorite of local tubers near Lake City Florida that had a similar incident....a pair of otters were swimming out from the bank of the river and attacking the tubers....chewed holes in several of the inner tubes and bite some of the swimmers....cute little critters but same can be said about a lot of animals until you have to fight them off

silvercreek
03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Otters chewing holes in tubes and attacking tubers. This could be a plus for otters on the Little River this summer!

Carlito
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Dear lord. Poor guy. I feel really bad for him, but I do have to admit that 911 call had my rolling.

Rockyraccoon
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I can remember a spring fed river that was a favorite of local tubers near Lake City Florida that had a similar incident....a pair of otters were swimming out from the bank of the river and attacking the tubers....chewed holes in several of the inner tubes and bite some of the swimmers....cute little critters but same can be said about a lot of animals until you have to fight them off

That's the Itchatucknee I think. Been down it a few times and seen lots of otters every time. Very pretty place.

MadisonBoats
03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
OK, that made me laugh! Sounds like the guy with no teeth from Ax Men...

Rog 1
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Mr. Raccoon...you are so very right...great way to spend a summer day...a lot more tamer today than when I was in school at Gainesville...back then there were no shuttles, no park and coolers were a requirement rather than taboo as today...

AKSkim
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I was in Prince William Sound in April of 1989 and was working with this guy named Brown from Mobile, AL, we were cleaning out the weirs of a oil skimmer of sea grass, dead animals and such.

It was dead quiet out there and all of a sudden Brown starts screaming bloody murder! I **** near leaped out of the boat.

Turns out he was removing this otter from clogging up the weir and it wasn't all the way dead yet when it sunk it's teeth into Brown's arm.

I know those little animals can be very vicious when they want to be.

Carlito
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I was in Prince William Sound in April of 1989 and was working with this guy named Brown from Mobile, AL, we were cleaning out the weirs of a oil skimmer of sea grass, dead animals and such.

It was dead quiet out there and all of a sudden Brown starts screaming bloody murder! I **** near leaped out of the boat.

Turns out he was removing this otter from clogging up the weir and it wasn't all the way dead yet when it sunk it's teeth into Brown's arm.

I know those little animals can be very vicious when they want to be.

AK, were you up there with the Forest Service? My dad was up there for about a year working on the clean up project... out of the Asheville FS office.

AKSkim
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
... the Forest Service?

US Coast Guard

bones
03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Coast Guard, thats almost as bad as being Navy Natlional Guard

AKSkim
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Coast Guard, thats almost as bad as being Navy Natlional Guard

Spoken like a true hick.

BlueRaiderFan
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Non infantry/special ops should be seen and not heard. That is all.

pineman19
03-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Just a thought, it might be a good idea to save this talk of petty rivalries between of national defense agencies for a boys night out, etc. Spring is here, the fish are hungry, try focusing your thoughts on something positive!

Neal

Rog 1
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I second Pineman's thoughts...and like your Mama probably said...if you can't say something nice about someone its better to say nothing at all...

BlueRaiderFan
03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Would dry vs dry to a rising fish vs dry with dropper be an appropriate argument? :biggrin: Just waiting for the water temps to warm up. Should be seen not catching fish somewhere in the GSMNP around the first or second weekend in April!