PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork

silvercreek
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I just read a post on another forum. The TWRA shocked the Caney from the dam to Happy Hollow last week. They got 80% fewer trout than last year. This would explain the dismal reports coming from the Caney since they have backed off on generation. Silvercreek

Worrgamesguy
03-08-2010, 08:50 PM
That's very sad :frown:

white95v6
03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
not sure if i belive that. soo that means if there was 100,000 trout last yr. they only got 20,000 this yr. that just don't seem right. where did they all go into the cumberland with all that heavy generation?

Maglite
03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Silvercreek,
Which forum did you read this on? Was it from a credible source? I know the Caney has been in rough shape, but I am still playing the blame game on the cold water.

silvercreek
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Cumberland Transit forum had the post under Beautiful Day.
http://cumberlandtransit.com/forum/thread/12277/

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
That may be true, but I can tell you that in the areas I have fished, there are still plenty of fish rising. I did a lot of fishing this last Saturday and saw a lot of activity. I did not do any catching however.

silvercreek
03-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Sure hope you are right Blueraider. The survey was done between the dam and Happy Hollow. I was at the steps Monday and saw two rises and watched about 8 fishermen for about 45 minutes. No one caught a trout.
Glad you are seeing some activity. Apparently they are somewhere other than where I was. Regards, Silvercreek

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Down stream. My boss saw a lot of fingerlings up at HH and I saw a quite a few rises at Lancaster.

JoelO
03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I went Sunday afternoon down below the steps at the dam. First time I've been skunked since going there. Did not see alot of rises to a mid afternoon hatch. A few fish being caught by people using worms. One lady said she caught a couple of browns on a streamer. To give you an indication of the state of things, I was the last person to leave the river (from the steps down to the bluffs) and it was still a good bit before sundown.

Maybe the cold water pushed them downstream...just a guess. I haven't seen any dead fish to indicate a water quality issue although I must say the water isn't as clear as it used to be.

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I really think it is a temp issue at this point. Once Big Popper switched to a sinking tip and I switched to a streamer with split shot on the leader, we started getting strikes. I do believe there are less fish, but I also believe there are plenty there for the catching. We may not catch as many, but it is still a decent river. I would like to see the water temps last year at this time vs this year.

silvercreek
03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Blueraider, here is a link to a stream gauge on the Caney at Stonewall which is about 15 miles below the dam. Wish I could find a temp gauge closer to the dam. Be aware that the gauge apparently was down most of February. You can historical info by adjusting the dates.
http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/stationinfo2.cfm?sid=CFST1&fid=&dt=S&pcode=TW

white95v6
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
there was a few days last yr that fished just like it did for me on the 28th of last month. very few fish seen and only a few caught. there was two floats from the dam to HH that we only caught 10-12 fish each. and one trip from HH to Kirby that only got us like 7 fish each. and then the next weekend we would catch 30 fish each. on the 28th i only got 8 fish and my friend caught 0. but we seen more fish then that and he missed about 7 fish. i think fish Population will be fine. i am no expert just comparing to what we seen last yr.

Maglite
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I floated the Dam to HH on Saturday, and did not see one fish caught. I still feel like the water temps have a lot to do with it, and agree that the population is way down. I had to work hard to even spot fish. What little bug acitivity I did see only produced a few rises, I saw 5 nice fish rise on that whole stretch. I even made a point to stop near the steps and Lancaster in hopes to see other people catch some, but that was not to be. The fish definitely aren't willing to move a lot right now, so find them and drift it right in their face to get their attention.

Also saw a bunch of fingerlings at Happy Hollow. If you get skunked, just find them, and throw them a small PA/midge.

Water clarity/color is hurting from the construction I would assume, had a nasty brown stain running down the side of the boat when we took out, worse than I have ever seen. When the water quality improves the fishing will soon follow, although this may be a long time coming. I am sure there are still good fish to be had. Now it's just a little more work to get them. Good luck and enjoy, lets keep this warmer weather coming!

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Blueraider, here is a link to a stream gauge on the Caney at Stonewall which is about 15 miles below the dam. Wish I could find a temp gauge closer to the dam. Be aware that the gauge apparently was down most of February. You can historical info by adjusting the dates.
http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/stationinfo2.cfm?sid=CFST1&fid=&dt=S&pcode=TW

Noticably cooler this year with temps down in the low 40's.

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I floated the Dam to HH on Saturday, and did not see one fish caught. I still feel like the water temps have a lot to do with it, and agree that the population is way down. I had to work hard to even spot fish. What little bug acitivity I did see only produced a few rises, I saw 5 nice fish rise on that whole stretch. I even made a point to stop near the steps and Lancaster in hopes to see other people catch some, but that was not to be. The fish definitely aren't willing to move a lot right now, so find them and drift it right in their face to get their attention.

Big Popper and I were at Lancaster on Saturday and spoke to a couple of guys floating by that said they were having no luck. We had seen several rises in that area and a small hatch, but had no luck until we went with sinking lines.

Middle TN Lee
03-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I've also experienced less rising fish and poor outings as of late. I really hope everything will turn around once the temps/generation level out.

Stonefly
03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I blame the stripers. And otters.

sb

white95v6
03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I blame the stripers. And otters.

sb

lol i like the stripers. they sure eat good.

but those darn otters. i had one steal one of the biggest walleys i had caught. i cleaned it set it on a rock and carried my tackle up the bank. 3 min later i return and the fish is gone. i guess it coulda been a coon. but i blame the otters.:smile:

Stonefly
03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
There are otters in the Caney, you know.

sb