PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Action

Waterborn
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Finally had a chance to get back on the Clinch today....after all the fun in the Park this past weekend, I wasn't really expecting too much today...all I can say is that I was glad I brought the net. I fished lower end and had a couple dozen fish to hand a few hours, stung a plenty in between. Most were in the 8-12" range (though they were footballs), five were a good 16" and one 18"er...only a couple of browns though....action was non stop on small zebras and pt's...while anyday on the water is a good day, today was the icing on a long overdue cake...
Sample of some catches - sorry, cell phone quality - left the dslr at home by accident....
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/2010-03-08131055.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/2010-03-08102602.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/2010-03-08120657.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/2010-03-08131109.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/Waterbornjournal/2010-03-08103654.jpg

Can't wait for the sulphurs....

Rockyraccoon
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Pretty good cell phone shots there man! Love the chompers on them!

Brandanf
03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks like you had a good time. I plan on getting out there tomorrow, got shut out on Sunday.. what time were you on the water today?

Should sleep in or get at it early. Thoughts?

Waterborn
03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey Rock - Long time no see, missed ya at the Frostie...used a Droid, supposedly has 5mp so a good sub, but I was scared to drop that thing in the water...

Brandanf, sorry the late reply - hopefuly your're on the water by now, though during the week is not as much combat fishing like the sat and sun...I was on the water around 9:30ish and there was only one other truck there and I never saw the guy, he musta walked way upstream...then about 4 others showed, but not crowded at all....much rather fish during the week than weekend if I can...

waterwolf
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
You won't be alone now.

JohnH0802
03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
More great fish. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Even though I have yet to ever fish the clinch, I enjoy seeing your fish. Maybe one day I will get up there, but looks like this year will not be likely.

Maurer
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Waterborn, I thought that was you down there, but I couldn't ever tell for sure. You were whompin them though.

gmreeves
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Those pictures are great for a cell phone! You have really been catching some nice fish lately.

Troutman
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Jeremy, I looked for you at church on Sunday but didn't find you to congrat you on the nice browns from the park. You are definitely starting out the year with some nice days on the rivers. Are you still working and teaching photo classes at KA?

schitzngigglz
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
A little off subject but....How do you carry a DSLR when fishing? What lens do you use?

Thanks,
Rick

Waterborn
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Wolf - being alone is a state of mind...besides, my one report of a good time on public waters isn't going to bother those with private access upstream...

John...Beaufort Reds soon! Thanks for the emails...

Chris - man, I wished ya dropped down and said hey - I shoulda figured ya out... would've been fun sharing water with you guys...maybe next time....

Greg, thanks...man I can only imagine those guys on a 'boo - may have to get you to remedy that...

Gary - Appreciate ya - we were out of town this past weekend, will look for ya this sunday...we ready for some smallies?....yeh, still teaching black/white and darkroom...you see they dropped our tower?

Rick - normally I carry my canon 40d with a 28-105 but with the APS C sensor, it ends up being more of a longer telephoto zoom and can't get as wide as I like. I put the rig in an orvis drybag made for dslr cameras and has a great shoulder strap, but I think they stopped making them - Maurer might know if they still carry em...I really want to break down and get a small waterproof point n shoot - they call em canons for a reason!

ChemEAngler
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Rick - normally I carry my canon 40d with a 28-105 but with the APS C sensor, it ends up being more of a longer telephoto zoom and can't get as wide as I like. I put the rig in an orvis drybag made for dslr cameras and has a great shoulder strap, but I think they stopped making them - Maurer might know if they still carry em...I really want to break down and get a small waterproof point n shoot - they call em canons for a reason!

I normally carry mine inside a SealLine SealPak stuffed inside my Fishpond Dragonfly lumbar pack. I carry it with my 18-55mm kit lens since I can't break down and take my more expensive glass on the water with me. Now days they are making P&S cameras that shoot in RAW, allowing for much higher quality pics than originally thought possible with P&S cameras. For those interested, look at the Powershot S90 or Nikon P6000. My DSLR only has 6 MP, and I thought that was sufficient until I started submitting pics to magazines. Now many are requiring a minimum of 10 MP before they will even consider them, so I am looking at either upgrading my DSLR or buying a compact P&S like the one above.

schitzngigglz
03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
they call em canons for a reason!

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a 30D. With any kind of lens it is a lot of weight.

Waterborn
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey Travis
At risk of too much photography on this thread, may hafta move down into its nameake category...how are you liking the sigma 18-50 2.8? I'm thinking of switching to a fast mid zoom for my carryall lens...i hear ya about not wanting to carrying expensive glass on the water, but man it can make the difference...I have a 70-200 2.8is I would love to swing around, but that baby is not one to dink about with in the water unless it was for a specific shoot...
and if you upgrade dslr, think about full frame...course financially, does it make sense if your lenses are for cropped sensors, but then again - some full frame cameras have a compensation setting for using cropped lenses to get rid of the vignette....

MadisonBoats
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Waterborn,
....how are you liking the sigma 18-50 2.8?...

Those Sigma's are sweet! Love their style...

ChemEAngler
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey Travis
At risk of too much photography on this thread, may hafta move down into its nameake category...how are you liking the sigma 18-50 2.8? I'm thinking of switching to a fast mid zoom for my carryall lens...i hear ya about not wanting to carrying expensive glass on the water, but man it can make the difference...I have a 70-200 2.8is I would love to swing around, but that baby is not one to dink about with in the water unless it was for a specific shoot...
and if you upgrade dslr, think about full frame...course financially, does it make sense if your lenses are for cropped sensors, but then again - some full frame cameras have a compensation setting for using cropped lenses to get rid of the vignette....

I started a new thread on this topic:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=77857#post77857