PDA

View Full Version : Any Abrams Creek Access in April?

Plunker
03-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Folks,
Just found out CC Loop road will be closed this April...
Will there be any access to Abrams creek? Spring creek areas maybe? Can you walk in to some of those?

Any reason to try campground or above? My trip is in mid april and is my only opportunity to visit area.

Thanks for input

tennswede
03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
About 10 miles or so round trip hiking from Abrams Creek Campground at the other end in Happy Valley.

Plunker
03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Do you think they will let you hike it? Sounds like trail head at falls will be closed will be closed...

In any case sounds like a perfectly good excuse to buy some new Korkers Guide boots with add on rubber bottoms lol.

buzzmcmanus
03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Plunker - You will be able to access the stream from Happy Valley. 10 miles round trip, uphill both ways, just gets you to the falls. I plan on making the hike sometime in April myself. And yes, it is a perfectly good excuse for buying a new pair of Korkers.

Plunker
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
10 miles....hmmm?
That $50 ferry ride over to Hazel Trail head is looking a bit better:biggrin:

Not sure how much bush whacking I want to do....of course i don't want to wear out my new hiking soles on my new Korkers...I beginning to see a pattern developing:cool:

GrouseMan77
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Plunker,

If you have not been to Hazel Creek before you may want to look into it a bit more before running over to fish it for the day. Off the top of my head I can not recall the exact ferry times. But, I think that the amount of "on creek" time that you would have (6-7 hours) would be better spent somewhere else.

However, anything would be better than sitting in Alabama. :cool:

Carlito
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Plunker,

If you have not been to Hazel Creek before you may want to look into it a bit more before running over to fish it for the day. Off the top of my head I can not recall the exact ferry times. But, I think that the amount of "on creek" time that you would have (6-7 hours) would be better spent somewhere else.

However, anything would be better than sitting in Alabama. :cool:

Translation: "Hazel Creek is my favorite fishing hole and I don't want a bunch of people to come fish it."

LoL. Had to pick on Elkins a bit there! :biggrin:

GrouseMan77
03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Translation: "Hazel Creek is my favorite fishing hole and I don't want a bunch of people to come fish it."

LoL. Had to pick on Elkins a bit there! :biggrin:

That is not what I meant at all.

Besides any one who has been up that creek knows that all the trout have scorching cases of herpes (just like on a certain lake that we are very familiar with). You know what they say about Hazel Creek...nothing but herpes, seed ticks, poison ivy, rattlers, copper heads, tent chewing mice and eerie banjo music.

I'd walk the 10 miles to Abrams.

Carlito
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Don't forget the hornet nests hanging over the creek and the yellow jacket infested logs!

Grannyknot
03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I hear the clinch has been fishing well.

Plunker
03-10-2010, 06:18 PM
At this point I'm expecting landmines and barbed wire at the state line:biggrin:

You local guys need to take it easy on us flatlanders...share the love...and the trout will ya? We only get to do this once a year or so...

I solemnly swear...
TO LEAVE EACH AND EVERY TROUT EXACTLY WHERE I FIND IT!:cool:

GrouseMan77
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Don't forget the hornet nests hanging over the creek and the yellow jacket infested logs!

Apparently you did not get the memo...hornets and yellow jackets are no longer present in that area of the park due to killer bees that have invaded.

And YES, the Clinch is fishing very well. In fact, I heard that someone pulled an 8ft. whale shark out in the shoals below Miller's Island.

Carlito
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
At this point I'm expecting landmines and barbed wire at the state line:biggrin:

You local guys need to take it easy on us flatlanders...share the love...and the trout will ya? We only get to do this once a year or so...

I solemnly swear...
TO LEAVE EACH AND EVERY TROUT EXACTLY WHERE I FIND IT!:cool:

This thread has me cracking up! Plunker, there's nothing wrong with cooking one up every now and then... I've been known to make lunch of a good catch (rainbows only for me though) right there on the side of the river :smile:

Knothead
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
No one mentioned the Bigfoot that was sighted chasing the mountain lion. Have a nice trip! ;)

Rog 1
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
What ever happened to those two-headed water rattlers that used to inhabit this area?

Carlito
03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
What ever happened to those two-headed water rattlers that used to inhabit this area?

No survivors to report sightings.

JohnH0802
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I heard that the entire NC side of the park was going to be closed for the weekend of 20-21 March so that they could scour the hillsides and streams for the ellusive two-headed water ratlers!

Rog 1
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
The water is too cold up there or I would suggest importing some of our crocagators .... where we have them down here no problem with the water rattlers....

flyman
03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
We'll be waiting for you Plunker:biggrin:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/easterbunny-06/Banjo_Boy_Biography.jpg

GrouseMan77
03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Flyman made me chuckle. Seriously though...we will be waitin'.

Crockett
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
You guys weren't supposed to tell him. I think it's more fun when they don't know...

PeteCz
03-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I think I saw that kid playing the banjo up at Hall's cabin...

Overheard someone saying something about a Purty Mouth near Bone Valley...

BlueRaiderFan
03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Worse than all of that, I hear tell there are some Bama fans over that way.

Plunker
03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
but that is why I bringing my brother....

He's got a Purty Mouth!:eek:
ROFLMAO at Flyman

The Principal
03-13-2010, 11:55 AM
The Otters ate the two headed water rattlers. They are now evolving Rattler type fangs!
So watch out!

jeffnles1
03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Haven't heard about the rattlers, but I did hear that area is infested with Brown Recluse and Black Widow spiders that are especially fond of the warm moist air inside of waders.

The Principal
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I have heard about them also. Big as half dollars. Snap a toe off with one bite.

Middle TN Lee
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I have heard about them also. Big as half dollars. Snap a toe off with one bite.

I fished this section a couple weeks ago despite the warnings...I now only have 2 toes on my right foot because of this.

Watch your back!

Plunker
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Worse than all of that, I hear tell there are some Bama fans over that way.

At least I'll be in Good Company!:biggrin:
Roll Tide Roll....
yeah...I went there (But Blue Raider Started it LOL)