PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around Jackson TN

bobdosser
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey guys, I have to spend a few days in the Jackson TN area in a couple of weeks. I hope some of you may be familiar with that part of the state. Where in that area could I start to look for places to take the fly rod and do a little fishing. I'll be flying in from Baton Rouge so if it takes a boat I'll need some place to rent one.

Thanks

Bob Dosser

wm1miller
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry Bob, but I know nothing about the fishing near Jackson, but I have crossed over the South Fork of the Forked Deer River while passing thru there. It is a beautiful river and must have some good fishing.

Will someone from West TN, please give Bob some info....... or does anyone from that area visit this forum?

One option for you about an hour and fifteen minutes away is Reelfoot Lake. It is a beautiful small lake with some terrific fishing; at least that was the case many years ago. Boat rentals are available up there. Check it out if you have the time to travel that far away.

Good Luck and enjoy your visit.

Wm in Middle Tennessee

ps...we have some terreffic fishing in middle and east TN.

silvercreek
03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Bob, I don't know a thing about it, but the TWRA shows that they stock some trout in Graham Lake just east of Jackson, Tn. Hopefully here is a link to a map. Silvercreek
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/troutpdf/Lake_Graham.pdf

donwinn
03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
bobdosser,

Are you driving up? The most interesting fishing would be Reelfoot Lake, but you may be a little early for that, and it would be a good drive from Jackson. There are a couple of lakes near by including a small one in Jackson. I have not fished there. There is Humbolt lake about 30 minutes northwest (have fished there), but again, it is a little early unless this warm weather continues. Did you serve in the military?

bstub
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
I live in Memphis, about an hour+ from Jackson. You're a bit early yet, but you might want to check out three places. First is Natchez Trace State part-two lakes, but still very early in the season for warm water fly fishing here. Second is Pickwick Lake--unfortunately well over an hour away. Not sure of the timing, but there's a spring White Bass run in the tailwater below dam at Counce, TN. Here's link to a story. Might check out websites for bait shops, etc. at Pickwick or Counce, TN.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30000&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-

Third possibility is Tumbling Creek Lodge, a commercial Orvis place between Jackson and Nashville. Never been there, but have had good reports. Probably pricey, but you could check out the website:

http://www.thetumblingcreeklodge.com/site/activities_fishing.aspx

bstub
03-11-2010, 06:29 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30000&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Hatchie Dawg
03-11-2010, 10:29 PM
There really isn't any trout water around Jackson. The Spring River in AR and the Caney Fork east of Nashville are probably two of the closer, better bets, both about 3.5 hours away.

Reelfoot, Lake Graham and Gibson County lake are all good options, but with warm water species. The crappie will be biting this time of year at the Foot, but you'll do better putting a jig on that fly rod. Graham is just outside of Jackson and they rent boats etc. It is a good bass lake and I think you might get some action on the Fly rod pulling streamers through some of the coves on warm sunny days. With spin tackle/baitcasters, standard bass techniques should be productive. Gibson is about 45 min North just past Trenton, TN and it should fish about the same as Graham. You might get some action on popping bugs but it is a bit early.

Lake Placid in Chickasaw State Park 30-40 minutes south of town down hwy 18 then 100 towards Henderson may be a decent option for the fly rod, again pulling streamers. The bass are not large but plentiful the last I was down there. Call ahead for hours but they rent boats.

I really wouldn't recommend the South Fork.

Farm ponds if you can get access will start producing soon with this warm weather.

It's not fly fishing but a trip to the TN River for Catfish may be one of your best bets. You would probably need a local connection, but the staem plant at New Johnsonville is usually good this time of year. Typically fish a slip cork around the rip rap or bump the bottom. It will be about 1.5hrs from Jax.

These will be some of the better local and not so local options. Good Luck

#s
Parks
888-TN-Parks

TWRA Fisheries West TN
731-423-5725

Maybe scratch the Caney from what I'm reading

pineman19
03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
You may also want to try the Buffalo River, it's not too far east of the TN river for smallmouth. They have canoe liveries. It's a nice looking river, it's passes under I40 on the way to Nashville.

Neal

Middle TN Lee
03-15-2010, 12:53 AM
PM me and I will tell you about a place I know.

bobdosser
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks so much for the information you posted, I really appreciate the feedback. I have been traveling a bit for business so this reply is a bit late. It likes like the timing for the trip is going to be the week of April 12th. I'll probably head up there the weekend before, business there on the 12th and possibly the 13th. BTW, Gail and I love TN. Most of our time so far has been around the Park, Morristown and then around Bristol. We have met marvelous folks there. We have fished with Hugh in Morristown, the Champions on the South Fork and of course the folks at LRO have been great.

Thanks Again Guys, Gail and I are somewhat new to the long rod, hopefully we can share some South LA fishing info to those that get a chance to travel to our neck of the woods. We hope to spend some time doing a lot more of that this year.

Bob

bobdosser
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Lee as soon as I get off the road I'll get back with you. I'm in W TX this week.

Bob

bobdosser
03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Don:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I was an electronic tech in the AF. I worked on the electronics associated with Minute Man Missles. The tech schools were in IL and then I was stationed in Grand Forks, ND and Great FAlls, MT.

Bob