PDA

View Full Version : Hair stacker

bias5246
03-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I am going to the smokies next week and was wanting to tie up some stimulators. I don't have time to order a hair stacker and I don't live close to any fly-fishing retailer, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to effectively stack Elk air without a stacker.

MadisonBoats
03-13-2010, 09:54 AM
You can use old Rx bottles in a pinch. Find one that will fit down inside another. Use a knife to cut off the bottom of the smaller one. Just grind off the burrs by sliding it over a piece of wood or something similar.

tlshealy
03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Before I bought a couple of stackers, I used a hollowed out Chapstick tube, works pretty good.
Tad

flyman
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Large caliber hand gun brass will work:smile: So will an old cigar metal tube:smile:

BlueRaiderFan
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I usually just trim the excess. Probably not as good of a tehcnique, but it seems to work.

flyman
03-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I usually just trim the excess. Probably not as good of a tehcnique, but it seems to work.

Put the scissors down and step away from the vise :eek:

bias5246
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. My wife actually made a great suggestion. She bakes cakes and offered me a little cap that is used to apply cake icing. It's shaped like a funnel and works great...haha!

BlueRaiderFan
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Ha! It doesn't look that bad!

Tarheelflyfishing
03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Take a thread spool and stick the hair into the center hole. It works pretty well.

psnapp
04-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Listen to the Flyman! He ties the most realistic patterns you'll see East of the Miss.!

How's it going, Flyman?

Btw, before I got a "store-bought" stacker, I used a sewing thimble --it'll even up the points and it's easy to pick up the stack by the cut-off ends.

psnapp

BlueRaiderFan
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Listen to the Flyman! He ties the most realistic patterns you'll see East of the Miss.!

How's it going, Flyman?

Btw, before I got a "store-bought" stacker, I used a sewing thimble --it'll even up the points and it's easy to pick up the stack by the cut-off ends.

psnapp

Oh absolutely, I listen, but I am willing to compromise when I get tired (read don't give a $#!*) :biggrin:

Knothead
04-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I found if I used plastic, I fought static electricity. I cured it by wiping the plastic with rubbing alcohol. Later I got a brass stacker which cured the staic problem. Now the problem is finding time to go fishing.