PDA

View Full Version : Walleye/Perch Fly Fishing?

MadisonBoats
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
A friend of mine mentioned that I should try fishing for Walleye/Perch the next week or two; being that they are spawning...

I was curious if anyone has any experience fly fishing for them or uses any specific flies...?

I have only caught one Perch on the Clinch with a fly rod and it was unintentional. I was surprised by that one.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=182

fishingman62
03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
hey shawn i have never targeted either fish with a flyrod.... but if anyone knows of any areas where walleye are well populated i would love to give it a try ,,,i would belive that baitfish imitating flys in large sizes like 6-10 would do the trick ,,, big buggers or zonkers weighted to get them down in colors that represent those fish,,,, a small perch colored fly would probably be killer,,, as for perch i have only caught them by accident like you while fishing for something else.... i landed several one day up home in pa on a smaller white and gray zonker type fly i had tied to imitate a lake erie shinner...i caught several crappie, perch, and bluegill on that fly... i was fishing around a large weed bed that dropped into deep water...perch are abundent over here in crossville in the fairfield glade and lake tansi lakes but you need to know someone to get you a pass to fish in them ....these two fish are probably the best eating in my opinion of all fresh water fish....with crappie and big bluegills right behind them... also if i was going to target walleye i would use either a steel leader or some very heavy tippet those boys are toothy critters...if you come up with a place to go and want someone to fish with send me an email would be happy to give them a try ...i'm off most every wed and all but one sunday a month
dan

MadisonBoats
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Dan,
I need to confirm this evening; but, I believe I will have two places where they will be stacked on top of each other for a week or so...

I am going to give it a try.

If you are interested in the local; shoot me a message.

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

FishNHunt
03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
You can catch walleye on Tellico lake with a top water lure all spring long. Redfins and Husky jerks. The down fall is that all those fish are caught primarily at night. The up side is the prospect of a true monster is very high. Fish in the 12# range and larger are caught regularly. I have heard of a 20#er caught from Tellico this year but, that is unconfirmed boat ramp talk. I don't have the patience to try it being I have a hard enough time catching them period as it is. Norris is stacked with walleye (that I can catch easier) but, usually they are deeper and would be hard to reach and fish for with a fly line. If I were going to try it I would throw a large streamer (4-6 inches) that imitates the Alwives on a rather heavy rod. The prospect of having a 50# rock fish devour your Alwive imitation is very likely. No need for wire. They will fray your line but, 8-10lb test will work fine. Go heavy if you want to land one of those nasty rock heads... then throw it on the bank and feed the coons, if you don't eat them. The perch well... I hate to give up my secret place but, Chilhowee is LOADED with perch. I have caught them on a fly rod as well. As a matter of fact they drive me crazy when I'm after trout. My wife caught one that was VERY close to the state record. We didn't know it until after the fact... and we cooked it. Look for them in about a month to 6 weeks depending on if it warms up. I have caught them upwards of 15 inches before. That's about as big as I've ever seen. You can also catch them in the fall of the year. These perch are small 5-6 inchs tops. Yearlings I would guess. The small ones make perch snacks for small mouth. Take advatange of that fact and catch the wolf packs of smallies cruising the shallows for them. It get's wild and freaky when you get a school all worked up. On Chilhowee go light on the line weight. All the fish spook easy. Ok, that's all you will get out of me about Chilhowee. It's my favorite lake because I like the peace and quiet of it. Now if I can just figure out how to move the "Dragon" so I don't have to listen to the motorcycles all day long. LOL!!! Good luck.

Grannyknot
03-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I bet a black bugger, bounced along the bottom, imitating a leach would do well. A sinking leader would probably work well to get it down and provide some better abrasion resistance.

bones
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Never fished the Clinch but if it is like the Cumberland, I'd fish directly behind the dam with a slow to moderate sinking line on a 6wt and use heavily dressed wooly buggers, clousers in black nosed dace colors, and smaller, but bulky sculpin patterns. I have done well on the Cumberland on eyes and sauger with the long rod, with some fish in the 5 to 8 pond range coming to hand, no perch though. Have caught perch in Va on the fly, using small gotchas tied with Arctic fox wings, and #12 white crystal buggers.

If they are actually trying to spawn any feeder creeks with weed beds in 3 to 5 feet of water should also hold fish. And if you want to catch some really toothy fish make a trip up to Ky and fish the Green river right behind the dam on Green river lake. Tons of muskie following eyes, crappie, carp and bluebacks. Only time of the year and only place I've been able to catch double digits in numbers and on the fly to boot.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

Carlito
03-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Shawn, my old man has been scouting Lake Loudon for crappie for the last week, which will be spawning soon as well. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but I've had luck stripping a small roadrunner jig on my 6 wt. fly rod out on the lake. The crappie and blue gill tear them up when it's spawning season.

GrouseMan77
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Shawn, my old man has been scouting Lake Loudon for crappie for the last week, which will be spawning soon as well.

I've got one buddy who wears them out on Loudon on a regular basis. He caught over 60 last Friday.

buzzmcmanus
03-15-2010, 05:20 PM
It's my favorite lake because I like the peace and quiet of it. Now if I can just figure out how to move the "Dragon" so I don't have to listen to the motorcycles all day long. LOL!!! Good luck.

I hear a big pile of rocks will take care of that problem.

http://www.wbir.com/video/default.aspx?aid=90522#/Local+News/Web+Extra%3A+10+News+camera+captures+car+drive+int o+rockslide/44024439001/39627146001/71783729001

Chilhowee has to be the only single reason I wish I still had a boat.

FishNHunt
03-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I saw the car running into the slide. I laughed until I almost cried. However my son and I had the side of mountain slide off right infront of us up there last fall. It peppered my truck with rocks it was so close. That wasn't as funny. I noticed all the TDot trucks heading up that way this morning while I was walleye fishing below Chilhowee dam but, didn't know about it until I saw the news. I didn't catch a single walleye either.