PDA

View Full Version : sluicing vs generating on SOHO

afoshie
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
OK i know the difference between the sluicing and generation. My question is why. I could see running the generators and also sluice to get rid of more water. Would it not be better to make power with the water, and you get the same flow out in a third of the time. I am just kinda puzzled at the reason they do this. I would appriciate som input.

billyspey
03-17-2010, 09:19 PM
tva maybe doing service on generators

Bfish
03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Another issues could be heavy debris load.

Also some intakes only can take water from a certain elevations, if water gets too far above it then the hydraulics does funny things (cavitation, surging etc) as the water heads to the turbines.

Maurer
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't know why they were sluicing, but I do know the fishing was off the hook last week. I wish that was the normal flow. It was perfect, just Enough water but not too much.

afoshie
03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Maurer i have been down that way 3 times now n you havent been there at work they always say you r on vacation. I am beginning to think you work about as much as i do. We need to hook up n fish this spring. I will call ya in a few.

Maurer
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Nah, they still got me working 40 to 50 hours a week. I did take two vacation days last week to fish with a buddy. We had some great luck. April and May is going to be crazy here I'm afraid, but I may be able to sneak away during the week.

We stayed at Holston Castaways last week on the SoHo, we should try to get a group together before you all head out west.