PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 3/17

ChemEAngler
03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Made it out to the river this afternoon around 3:45, and was very excited about the possibilities. Dave hooked up with two bows within the first 10 minutes, and we were pumped for a good day. However, we didn't realize that it would be 2 1/2 hours before another fish would take one of our offerings. The trout were rising quite consistently taking adult blackflies, unfortunately I did not have anything that they thought looked tasty. I fished for a little over three hours today and never even got a single strike. I can't remember the last time that happened. According to my log, it has been more than two years since I was last skunked on the Clinch, so I guess I was due. I threw everything I had at them with absolutely no interest. I took a water temp before leaving and it was 42.5 degrees @ 7:00. Surprisingly that was 1.5 degrees colder than when I last fished the Clinch two weeks ago. The overcast skies for the past couple days apparently have slowed the water warming trend.

I talked to another buddy who was there today, and he said that they only caught three fish between the two of them. I am still scratching my head as to what my problem was today, but it was obvious that I was not doing something right. I think I will choose to consider this a learning experience.

This only adds fuel to the fire for my return trip.

MadisonBoats
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Travis,
I fished Tuesday and saw similar results. The water is very cold and I believe that has stunted the activity a bit. As you know; they only exert enough feeding activity to equal the food they are eating. It does not seem that they are willing to break far from their rest to chase a fly. From my observation; it seems the fish are scrutinizing each fly. I noticed several nipping at my flies and not taking them. I had to resort to using spinner tactics (skating a dry fly) to attract a few. They were taking very small black flies (22) on top. I spoke with a few guys and they were catching some size throwing streamers.

I still think a small dry caddis will do well if you see them rising. Not that caddis are coming off; just that it is a good generic imitator at the moment.

Don't worry man; I have my skunk behind me this year! It drove me crazy!

Tiger fly
03-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I was up there yesterday and got skunked. Fished from about 5:30-6:45 after work. Fished around Miller's Island. Some fish were rising but not very aggressively. Had a pretty good day last Saturday on dries though.

Rodonthefly
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Chalk me up for a skunk yesterday as well, should've went and drank green beer! First time in a couple of years for me also Travis.

ChemEAngler
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Chalk me up for a skunk yesterday as well, should've went and drank green beer! First time in a couple of years for me also Travis.

I was up there yesterday and got skunked. Fished from about 5:30-6:45 after work. Fished around Miller's Island. Some fish were rising but not very aggressively. Had a pretty good day last Saturday on dries though.

Thanks guys, in a strange way it comforts me to know that I wasn't the only one that left with a smell on me yesterday. They were very selective and only taking blackfly adults where I was at. I tried drifting my typical blackfly larva patterns that usually kill on the SoHo, and nothing. My buddy caught his on an unusual zebra midge color combination, that I may have to tie up for next trip.

Rodonthefly
03-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Same think for me Travis, I fish below cold water farms and they wouldnt touch any midges I offered. I switched over to a size 24 black fly dry, I could harly see the **** thing so I left. The lower part of the river hasn't been good to me yet, this year.

Rod

billj
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I find that the fish often lock in on the adult blackfly. I have had great results fishing the adults, but it can be a problem to see. Sometimes I do best fishing it with a lot of movement, the fish often are picking them off on the fly. Try a white or grey body, black rib, dun snowshoe hare wing and a larger black dubbing head. Floats great, durable, very visible w/ Frog's Fanny. Size 22 best for me.

No Hackle
03-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Do the caddis dry thing and trail a peacock and starling about 8" off the bend may just turn the trick.
Lynn

Rodonthefly
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I went yesterday after work, and made up for the day before, got to my spot and started catching them right off the bat. Prob brought close to 10 to hand and lost that many more. All and all it was a good day.

jmelrod
03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Rod,
I was the guy fishing a little above you yesterday. Did you manage to get back out today?

Rodonthefly
03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
yeah, i fished where you did yeasterday and did real well, Prob 12 fish or so, couple of 16 inchers. missed a really nice one prob 18-20 range. Fishe drys mainly beofr finishing with a midge rig. Pretty good day alot of people out there.