PDA

View Full Version : Tellico Area

buster55
03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
For those of you who have been around a while, you know I am a sucker for the Tellico area. I am looking at a trip in the near future and want to get some input about the optimum times to go. For those of you closer to the river, should I look at late March, early to mid April or early May or what? When I say River, I mean the Tellico, and all of its tributaries. Thanks for all the help in the past, present and future.
Alan a/k/a my dog Buster

baldriver
03-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Any of these times should be good. The stocking season has begun on the Tellico with the river closed on Thursday and Friday and full of bait fishers the rest of the time.
The fishing has run hot and cold all winter with lots of water from the rain and snow.

buster55
03-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'mthinking the later the better to give the water a chance to warm up a bit. It has been a cold winter.

Later

baldriver
03-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I should have mentioned the other day that the wild streams are open every day. But, you probably already know that.
While you are here you should drive up North River to see the beaverdam. They have really been busy.
Good Luck

rivergal
03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
You should use caution fishing the Tellico area if I am fishing there. My casts are liable to land anywhere, so keep a safe distance and keep your tetanus shot up to date.

KnoxBioBenz
03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I was up on the North River yesterday and it was slow.
There was still quite a bit of snow melt off of the mountains and most of the pools were a wash.
The water temp was still a bit down. The fishing was slow so we decided to go for a drive instead and we went up to the Cherohala and there was about 6 inches of snow up there still. I was very suprised.

Crockett
03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah I got stuck up there on the North River road last sunday the 14th. They were having the "Ain't Louis" kayaking festival down on the Tellico and I picked up 3 different kayakers hitching up through there. The north river looked good and I stopped and fished for a few minutes at sugar cove branch with no luck. No snow just light rain there but shortly after climbing up a bit more I hit a bunch of snow and a snowstorm. The road was completely covered in snow with no tracks thru it. Since my truck is not a 4 wheel drive I was spinning all over and finally turned around and went back down. So I couldn't find out if that road connects to the Cherohala skyway. Anyone know if it does? Interstingly I whipped into a pull off in that snowstorm and there was a lady there bent down using the potty out next to her car. I was more embarrased than she was I think and quickly took off lol.

Grannyknot
03-22-2010, 08:17 AM
......So I couldn't find out if that road connects to the Cherohala skyway. Anyone know if it does?.....

It does connect, about a mile past beech gap. You go under the skyway, take a right at the gravel intersection and up onto the skyway, just inside North Carolina.

Crockett
03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info! I couldn't tell by looking at the map if it actually connected.

Bfish
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
They were having the "Ain't Louis" kayaking festival

That is funny. Louie hates kayaks, the festival was a canoe festival.:biggrin:

Grannyknot
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/CodyEdrington/NRiverRoadMap.jpg

You'll notice it appears to go under the skyway at the state line.
90% of "Sycamore Trail" is foot traffic only, so i'm not sure why its shown on this map.

Trip
03-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Dualsporters call it the Gravelhala, it also comes out at the very end of the Skyway at the left turn that takes you to Joyce Kilmer. Lots of fun gravel roads up in there, very easy to get lost for a day.