PDA

View Full Version : Clinch

No Hackle
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Anyone fish the clinch yesterday. I was there and was it cold, but ended with a good day on black flys.
Lynn

Waterborn
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Was curious how it'd go yesterday - I was there friday and had a great time, a lot of nice fish including a decent fat brownie...
I spent yesterday in the Park getting snowed on and raising a decent amount of fish in the softer water with a quill gordon dry...

MadisonBoats
03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
No, but I fished it Thursday, Saturday, and I am going today!:biggrin:

Black flies were still on...

No Hackle
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Man I thought going to the park but thought about all that rain and then my mind went to all those black flys so I went to the Clinch. I hope to hit the park Saturday evening and for sure Monday if the water is fit for dries, If not its back at the Clinch or SOHO.Thanks for feed back.
Lynn

Maurer
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey Waterborn, Brad and I are helping out with the Pi Beta Phi fly fishing class Monday morning at Metcalf. We're going to fish before and after. Be awesome if you could join us.

psnapp
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Fished about 3 mi above 61 bridge Sunday with Gallop patterns. Not a lot of action, but the 5 brought to hand were all in the slot. Best action was on a Stacked Blonde and one was near 18".

Anyone heard that there are shad coming through the pinstocks? Seems to be decent action right now for streamer fishermen.

Psnapperooski

Rockyraccoon
03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Hey Phil,

I pulled oars on Saturday from PO to Clinton and actualy saw a few lame shad on the upper end of that float. Seemed a little far away from the turbines for a hapless shad to make it....but you never know. I've not been on the upper end much to say for sure though.

No Hackle
03-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I thought once the water temps got above 40 the shad would stop dying. Maybe the water is colder with the depth down lower. I was on Dale Hollow 2 weeks ago and there were shad dying everywhere. On the second day the water temps got 43 degrees and didnt see nearly as many.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought once the water temps got above 40 the shad would stop dying. Maybe the water is colder with the depth down lower. I was on Dale Hollow 2 weeks ago and there were shad dying everywhere. On the second day the water temps got 43 degrees and didnt see nearly as many.
Lynn

Lynn,
I got a couple temperature reading on the Clinch around the church in the 38-40 degree range. The water is still very cold.

No Hackle
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
There you go. Thanks for info, might be time to dead drift a zonker through a deep spot.
Lynn

No Hackle
03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
By the way when did you get those temps.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Yesterday, March 23...

I am not completely sure of this new thermometer just yet. I need to check it against one I have at home to verify. I took a couple of different readings and that was my range.

pineman19
03-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I got 45 degrees below Miller's Island on Saturday.

No Hackle
03-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Are you using one of those new point and shoot deals or the one you have to submege. I've alwas wondered which one is more true, and if depth has any interference with the ponters. What depth was the readings. sorry for the rambling just wondering,I probly need to carry one.
Lynn

old east tn boy
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Fished Miller's Island from 1 to 5:30 yesterday. Absolutely killed the Browns on red and black size 20 zebra midge. Fish weren't large, about 12-14 inches, but they just kept coming. Dropped the midge off of an Elk hair caddis and had one fish to hit it. Tried a couple of other midge patterns but they were ignored. Only had two red and black and lost the second one on a submerged snag. End of fishing; broke rod down and left.

buzzmcmanus
03-25-2010, 07:30 AM
I learned this back in my Health Inspector days. Fill a glass with crushed ice. Fill with water. Give it about 10 minutes for the water temperature to stabilize. Stick your thermometer in it. It should read 32 degrees.

MadisonBoats
03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I learned this back in my Health Inspector days. Fill a glass with crushed ice. Fill with water. Give it about 10 minutes for the water temperature to stabilize. Stick your thermometer in it. It should read 32 degrees.

Thanks Buzz! I collect thermometers as a hobby. I usually just take one of my scientific thermometers and check it against my fishing thermometer. I have one of the drop-tube thermometers. I don't think the IR thermometers would work that well for me. I like to gauge the temps at different depths.

Waterborn
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey Kris,
I'd definitly like to be there, will have to see though - I have to work Mon. but maybe a chance...thanks for the invite....Brad's got my number, give me a shout later.