PDA

View Full Version : pre-packaged back pack meals

fishhead
03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
anybody got anything good to say about them ? any recommendations for brand. Haven't tried one in years and they were lousy 15 years ago.
Just wondering if things had changed.
thanks Fishhead

Fly-By
03-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I hiked the 300 miles of the TN/NC portion of the Appalachain Trail several years ago. I hiked for one month. It was all the time I had. Anyway, I hiked with Army Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's). Most of them smelled like cat food when you open the package. But, they were filling and relatively light. Plus, you did not have to cook them. Althought they were much better if you heated the package up. I bought them off of a Army Surplus website. They were fairly cheap. In fact, they were much cheaper then pre-packaged meals you would buy at a camping store/website. Overall, I would recommend MRE's.

nunavut4
03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I have been using Cache Lake foods for backpacking trips. Their food is great, Not your old Mountain House stuff by a long shot.
Here is their website address. http://www.cachelake.com/

Hope you enjoy,
Mark

TightLines
03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I have been using Cache Lake foods for backpacking trips. Their food is great, Not your old Mountain House stuff by a long shot.
Here is their website address. http://www.cachelake.com/

Hope you enjoy,
Mark

I usually do MRE's or Mountain House. But I must say, those are some dang good prices at Cache lake.

fly fisherman DK
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Some of the other mountain house meals might not be great, but the chicken teryaki with rice is excellent, and the beef stew is pretty good for a dehydrated meal.

spotlight
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I second the Mountain House meals they are pretty good the Beef Stew, Chili Mac, and the Chicken Teriaki are the best. I would just get a pot cozy and cook regular food i make red beans and rice and add sausage, or zatarans jambala and add a chicken packet after hiking 700 mile of the Appalachian Trail I learned how to eat good.

Try reading some cooking tips on this site www.whiteblaze.net

Carlito
03-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I'll take back country quesadillas over a freeze dried meal any day! I used to always carry freeze dried food and a jet boil stove, but any more I generally avoid freeze dried meals and get creative with my back country cooking. It's a bit heavier, but if I am just gonna be out a couple of nights, I prefer real food.

Mac
03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
My favorite,

www.trailfoods.com (http://www.trailfoods.com)

Any of the Enertia Meals are really good.

BlueRaiderFan
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Rice a roni, mac n cheese, beef jerky, isntant soups, ramen, fiber bars ( you will need them).

Knothead
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Try Mountain House neapolitan ice cream. My wife, son and I tried some at the REI store in Brentwood, TN. Tastes like the real thing.

TightLines
03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
A few more items I always carry are the Zatarains Red Bean and Rice mixes. Just add the water and cook. Best to let them soak for an hour before cooking. Also Spam singles are good. For breakfast you can carry the little instant oatmeal or grits pouches. They are fast and easy. Also see about carrying a couple of big rat traps and some chunky peanut butter. Them squirrels go crazy for that stuff. A rat trap will feed you pretty darn good when your hungry.

You guys would hate to see my pack. It and me can disappear into the woods and never have to come back out. Us dang survivalist nuts.

Rog 1
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Since I usually hike in to set up a base camp I don't skimp too much on the food...1st night is usually a steak that was pre-frozen before I left...will thaw out on the way in and makes for a great meal the first night.

Carlito
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Also see about carrying a couple of big rat traps and some chunky peanut butter. Them squirrels go crazy for that stuff. A rat trap will feed you pretty darn good when your hungry.

You guys would hate to see my pack. It and me can disappear into the woods and never have to come back out. Us dang survivalist nuts.

That is awesome. My girlfriend would freak! :biggrin:

TightLines
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
That is awesome. My girlfriend would freak! :biggrin:

I drill a hole in the top end of mine so I can use a small nail and hang them on the side of a tree. Have even caught dove in the things. LOL

Man y'all need one of my week long get aways to the woods. No matches allowed for fire starting. I usually carry 4 in my pack and my daughters carry 2 in each of their packs.

Mundele
03-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I usually do the tuna in the foil envelope (with a little tabasco and maybe mayo) for lunch, along with Gorp and do Mountain House type meals for supper. I like the Chicken Stew. If you're really hungry anything tastes good.