PDA

View Full Version : clinch 3-24-10

fishingman62
03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
fished today at the church walked up to where the private ramp is .....a few fish rising nothing in over abundance....fished from about 8am till the about noon when the water came up....caught 4 fish all on #18 black soft hackle... all before 11am after that i had one other hit...seemed like once the small hatch that was on in the morning ended the fish shut off... tryed olive bugger black midge and a couple other soft hackles with no luck...nice day to be out..... only about a half dozen other people fishing ....
dan

stevee71
03-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I am a newbie to fly fishing but I fished around Millers Island today and the activity was unbelievable and excuse me for not knowing the hatch but the fish were taking a small white bug off of the surface. I did manage to catch several on a small black midge and broke off a really nice brown.

MadisonBoats
03-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I am a newbie to fly fishing but I fished around Millers Island today and the activity was unbelievable and excuse me for not knowing the hatch but the fish were taking a small white bug off of the surface. I did manage to catch several on a small black midge and broke off a really nice brown.

Tip, catch some of those bugs and take them home in a baggy. Keep them in the fridge until you are ready to copy them. I have several in epoxy for reference on top of my bench. Label the bottom with the fly type, date, and location.

Gatlinburg Chill Band
03-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I am new two. Went today for my second time. yesterday being my first. I was fishing around pittman center area. Action slowed down after 1:00. I caught 1 Really nice 15 inch rainbow. Plan on going tomorrow. I am using a little jig with a bobber. I am going to try live bait tomorrow. worm or something. should be a good day.

stevee71
03-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Thank you Shawn that is a great idea!

waterwolf
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Glad you got a chance to get on the Clinch, sorry to hear you didn't have more action. A couple of tips that might allow you more strikes during each trip. Dump the soft hackle, unless you have some pact with the devil, leave them in the box. Tie/Buy, some small pheasant tails, midge pupa, etc, basically anything that is a size 18 and dark colored. Beadheads help, but are not mandatory. Rather then hang things downstream/cross stream in the current, try turning around and drifting your fly with the current either across stream or straight upstream with an angle. Use yarn for an indicator and set it about 2.5-3 feet deep.

If you do the above your success rate will be ten times higher, and you should begin to turn alot more quality fish.

As far as saving hatching bugs on the Clinch; its simple, the only one that truly matter are the sulfurs. Sure there are loads of midges, blackflies, black stoneflies, black caddis. However, trying to match or catch fish on dries other then sulfurs on the Clinch is not the best way to have success. 90% of the time when fish are rising on the Clinch, they are feeding just below the surface, on emerging midges or blackflies as they hatch. Imitating that is best done with indicator and subsurface flies.

My advice, don't make this game too complicated, because its not.

Rodonthefly
03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I how ever fished the upper en yesterday starting in the wier pool, wasn't much happening there, so i went own to millers and fished one and only one fly a size 20 g nat. caught fish right up untill dark with one really good fish.

In my opion the water is still alittle cold yet. But i can still manage to catch'em :biggrin:

No Hackle
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Have you tried trout magnets, I have a friend that slays them with that thing.
Lynn

MadisonBoats
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Glad you got a chance to get on the Clinch, sorry to hear you didn't have more action. A couple of tips that might allow you more strikes during each trip. Dump the soft hackle, unless you have some pact with the devil, leave them in the box. Tie/Buy, some small pheasant tails, midge pupa, etc, basically anything that is a size 18 and dark colored. Beadheads help, but are not mandatory. Rather then hang things downstream/cross stream in the current, try turning around and drifting your fly with the current either across stream or straight upstream with an angle. Use yarn for an indicator and set it about 2.5-3 feet deep.

If you do the above your success rate will be ten times higher, and you should begin to turn alot more quality fish.

As far as saving hatching bugs on the Clinch; its simple, the only one that truly matter are the sulfurs. Sure there are loads of midges, blackflies, black stoneflies, black caddis. However, trying to match or catch fish on dries other then sulfurs on the Clinch is not the best way to have success. 90% of the time when fish are rising on the Clinch, they are feeding just below the surface, on emerging midges or blackflies as they hatch. Imitating that is best done with indicator and subsurface flies.

My advice, don't make this game too complicated, because its not.

Great Advice Waterwolf and well-said about making things complicated. I need to remind myself of this and just fish. I have found myself too quick to change flies this year. Maybe it is just that I am anxious...?:confused:

Any tips on the blackflies? Floating or Emerging tips?

THX!

waterwolf
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Great Advice Waterwolf and well-said about making things complicated. I need to remind myself of this and just fish. I have found myself too quick to change flies this year. Maybe it is just that I am anxious...?:confused:

Any tips on the blackflies? Floating or Emerging tips?

THX!

Blackflies, are simple, tie a little v-rib pupae in brown or dark olive, bead head it if you like, but it isn't mandatory. The v-rib makes it look perfect, because where you tie the v-rib in at the bend of the hook makes a hump just like the naturals, and then again at the head, just like the naturals. A simple and deadly fly for the clinch year round.

Emerger and Dry tips are simple; forget they exist. Fish subsurface with pupae type flies and your success rate will be very high.

Waterborn
03-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Agreed - anybody can can be successful most of the time with a small nymph, but there's nothing complicated about adding a little z-lon to a zebra (or a vrib) for an emerger blackfly/midge and then a small EHC for a dry - just a compliment to more catching... I've come across several hatch situations where plain pupaes were fine, but then having that little bit of zlon was the trigger...I keep a few of each on hand just for those times, but mostly its a yarn and indicator rig for me...

Wilson10
03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/AdamWilson10/Misc/th_browntrt.jpg (http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m327/AdamWilson10/Misc/?action=view&current=browntrt.jpg)
Nice fish my buddy caught the other day.

Worrgamesguy
03-26-2010, 03:05 AM
That has to be the brightest rainbow I've ever seen. Very odd looking.

Rodonthefly
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
thanks for posting that Adam. I was bright in colors. i have caught abunch of bright rainbows this year. The fish in that picture was a male, I know this because well when i picked him up he got a little happy.